Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timandhaylea
(newbie) Sat 02-May-20 10:53:58
Print Post

Change home config due to FritzBox/Monitoring tool issues?

[link to this post]

TL;DR – do I change my router/config due to ~20% packet loss on TBBQM caused by FritzBox (actual connection is fine)

Like many, I have been reconfiguring my home network whilst finding some more time on my hands, but need some advice before deciding what to do to resolve my latest issue.

Background:
Have been happily with Zen for several years on a 40/10 package as I didn’t believe I was going to get much faster than this on an 80/20. System config was Openreach ECI modem -> ClearOS server handling the PPPoE/firewall/DHCP as well as a number of other services.

Over time, I have handed off the internet facing services I was running at home (web server, mail server, etc.) to my hosting company (Krystal), so was thinking about taking the server out of its gateway to move to a more standard setup for ease of network/broadband troubleshooting.
I had also recently spotted that my neighbour was getting close to 80Mbps, so that was also a consideration. (small rural community, houses built at the same time, all going back to the same cab)

Recent Changes:
Firstly, I upgraded my Zen connection to 80/20 without any changes to the home network – this gave me speeds around 50Mbps, but not the ~80 we were seeing next door

As the Openreach modem was getting on a bit, that was next to be replaced with my Zen supplied FritzBox 7530 running in PPPoE passthrough mode and the ClearOS server still managing the PPPoE – now the speeds are hitting ~75 down 😊
No problem with the monitoring tools (Broadband Quality Monitor/Uptime Robot) and all seems good (and I probably should have left it there …)

As I said above, wanting to move to a slightly more “normal” setup, I then moved the PPPoE handling to the FritzBox, leaving the server to manage DNS/DHCP on the LAN side – and this is where I started to see packet loss on the Broadband Quality Monitor and lost connection reports from UptimeRobot. After a short panic and a bit of digging I discovered that the FritzBox is well known for dropping incoming ping packets – some even go as far as listing it as a feature to stop your router being attacked with a ping flood. Other than the monitoring tools, there are no problems with the connection, speeds/sync rates are steady (although it would be nice to see a faster upload sync – currently 12.3 Mbps) so my quandary is:

1. Turn off the monitoring tools and live with the FritzBox
2. Go back to managing PPPoE on the server
3. Replace the FritzBox with something else

All suggestions gratefully received
Standard User timandhaylea
(newbie) Sat 09-May-20 14:18:14
Print Post

Re: Change home config due to FritzBox/Monitoring tool issue

[re: timandhaylea] [link to this post]

For info, moved back to PPPoE passthrough on the FitzBox and the packet loss reported on Broadband Quality Monitor has disappeared:

Before:
My Broadband Ping

After:
My Broadband Ping

I'd still like to move away from using the server to run the PPPoE, so looking for suggestions for a modem/router that will handle remote monitoring properly and also gives good/useful stats on the connection.

(I should add that WiFi performance isn't an issue as I have separate APs installed in the house)

Edited by timandhaylea (Sat 09-May-20 14:20:03)

Standard User GeorginaNorth
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-20 13:03:36
Print Post

Re: Change home config due to FritzBox/Monitoring tool issue

[re: timandhaylea] [link to this post]

Also need help with configuration(

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to