Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Snowy2020
(newbie) Sat 13-Jun-20 17:52:28
Print Post

Using two Fibre connections at home advice please.

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum smile

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with some advice.

I currently have a 30Mb Fibre connection with Sky. Later this month I am having a second 30Mb fibre connection installed by BT on their new "Dedicated Connection" service.

My original plan was to allow the Sky fibre to continue serving all the many devices around the house such as TV's, consoles, tablets, phones etc and to dedicate the new BT fibre line to simply my PC in my office.

However I got to thinking if it would be better to somehow combine the two connections ? Maybe with something like a Draytek Vigor 2862 ?

But i'm not sure if this is possible or even if it would give me a speed boost - The way I understand it is that because the two lines are not bonded at the ISP end I wouldn't get 60Mb on one machine if needed.

Any advice would be much appreciated smile
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 13-Jun-20 21:36:22
Print Post

Re: Using two Fibre connections at home advice please.

[re: Snowy2020] [link to this post]

Could you tell us more about the new BT "Dedicated Connection" service, I have never heard of it.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 13-Jun-20 21:56:08
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

It's just a 2nd line with broadband and BT Halo benefits.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-20 22:16:22
Print Post

Article from ISPreview
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 13-Jun-20 23:21:05
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

So it's not "new" (BT think it is!) it's very expensive and exactly what is Dedicated about it? You may as well get the cheapest FTTC service you can find for a second connection. It must be some pointless marketing gimmick devised by BT.
Standard User Snowy2020
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 08:29:24
Print Post

My understanding of it was that this was the only product you could buy to have a second physical line installed and still be able to keep your existing line (AND without paying Openreach for the installation of a new piece of copper from the pole) ?

Edited by Snowy2020 (Sun 14-Jun-20 08:31:17)

Standard User Highland76
(regular) Sun 14-Jun-20 08:42:22
Print Post

That's just marketing fluff by BT. Nothing stopping you taking a second "dedicated" FTTC line by TalkTalk (for example) and getting free installation on that as well.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- HG8240 4 Port ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Snowy2020
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 08:52:57
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

I didn't realise that - I thought they all charged installation for a line (as they would be charged by OpenReach) ?

I've just looked into BT Business Broadband as an alternative (I have a Ltd Company and work from home). Even with the £125 installation cost, a comparable package on Bt Business works out at £1071 over 24 months whereas the "Dedicated Connection" package works out as £1439 over 24 months!
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Sun 14-Jun-20 09:08:53
Print Post

Have a look at TalkTalk Business. They offer free line installation:

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/business/product/fibre

Yes, its a long 24 month contract but they will let you leave penalty free if they can't resolve any issue within 28 days, as they've signed up to Ofcom's Business Broadband Code of Practice. Their phone support is pretty good, far superior to their residential offering.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- HG8240 4 Port ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Snowy2020
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 09:12:34
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Thanks I will check that out now. What do you think about Vodafone Business ? 22.50 per month with no line installation costs. (Superfast 2)

But there is something confusing about their speed checker - I know on my Sky line I get about 30-36Mb but their speedchecker says this (screenie) : https://www.screencast.com/t/3pKGxxzdOd8v

IE: Can Vodafone magically somehow give me faster speeds than Sky can using the same copper route to the pole and cab ?

Edited by Snowy2020 (Sun 14-Jun-20 09:14:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to