Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashdown
(learned) Sat 20-Jun-20 19:33:43
Print Post

Re: Suitability of Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Mesh WiFi

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I like the idea of being able to specify a minimum acceptable signal level and I think this may be essential functionality in my case.

Walking around with an Android mobile phone shows that it will keep a connection down to about -87 dBm, even in the presence of a much stronger signal from an AP with the same SSID. The Amplifi system doesn't seem to have any means of booting a client that holds on to a poor/unuseable connection, so unless I'm missing something, I doubt that it would be any better than my present arrangement. I'm now wondering how "domestic" mesh systems without intelligent client-booting capability can ever work satisfactorily.
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Sat 20-Jun-20 19:46:25
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

The client is generally expected to make that decision. macOS certainly does seem to do this fairly well and switches to a better signal when the one it is connected to isn't so great. You can tweak this on the computer side of things in macOS if you have a preference of say most recent, or strongest etc.

Can't comment on Windows/Android/other devices but expect they all have similar code to make that decision too.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 20-Jun-20 22:27:55
Print Post

It's a bungalow. I would fit some UniFi access points to the ceiling in suitable places hard wired with Cat5e or better and powered with PoE.. The UniFi software will help with the planning to get good coverage. Bungalows mean easy access to the ceiling from the loft. Ditch all other WiFi access points once installed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ashdown
(learned) Sat 27-Jun-20 19:37:35
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

While the geek in me was sorely tempted by the level of tinkering available with Unifi devices, I regret that the domestic situation precludes loft wiring and ceiling APs.

So, although I was a little dubious about whether AP handover would work when moving around the house, I purchased one Amplifi router and fitted it at one end of the house, with an Amplifi mesh point fitted at the mid-point using 5 GHz backhaul.

I have previously had a powerline-connected AP at the midpoint with the same SSID as the primary AP but found that devices were very reluctant to drop a connection to the weak primary AP when at the other end of the house in range of a very much stronger signal from the midpoint AP. I wouldn't have been surpised if the same thing happened with the Amplifi system, but it didn't! If I start with a mobile device near to and connected to the primary AP and walk it through the house, it switches to the midpoint AP within a couple of seconds of passing it. I'm mystified about how this works when my earlier solution didn't, but I'm pleased by the result. As a bonus, an Internet radio in the bedroom that suffered from buffering pauses when using the powerline-connected AP, now works perfectly when connected to the midpoint Amplifi mesh point.

In summary, the Amplifi mesh system works well and gives a strong WiFi signal throughout the house with transparent handover between APs. I'm impressed (although I still miss SNMP and the greater control provided by Unifi).
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 23:27:40
Print Post

If previously the primary and powerline AP were not of the same vendor, it's possible the security settings were not exactly the same and maybe also different chipsets involved, or the primary AP was offering more attractive MCS data rates so the client wanted to hang on longer.

With UniFi, AmpliFi and other managed AP systems, by design you can almost guarantee they share the same configuration for any given SSID as you would have to make a conscious effort to set them up differently.

The UniFi would still have meshed over the air, but I'm sure it would look more messy plugged into a wall mains outlet on an injector. I'm assuming part of the attraction for AmpliFi are the models with integral UK plugs.

Glad to hear it has worked out smoothly smile

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)

Edited by prlzx (Sat 27-Jun-20 23:36:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to