Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kevy12345
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-20 10:24:17
Print Post

Zyxel VMG3925-B10B Modem in Bridge mode with Asus RT-AC66U

[link to this post]

Hi,

Since covid struck and both my wife and I work from home, our Sky Fibre broadband (ADSL up to 24MB) has become a thorn in my backside. It's fine when one person is surfing the net but as soon as the second does something, it massively degrades the connection for everyone, as if it can't handle multiple connections at once.

I am quite technical but not in the area of networking, so I would really appreciate some help.

I purchased a Zyxel VMG3925-B10B modem, which I am running in Bridge mode on the ADSL WAN interface, with the firewall turned off and an Asus RT-AC66U, flashed with Merlin and the Option 61 login has been set to a generic sky address with a generic password, as advised on sky user forums.

I have also set the IP of the modem to 192.168.1.1 and the Asus to 192.168.1.254 so there are no conflicts.

When I connect a RJ45 from the LAN1 port of the modem to the WAN port of the Asus, the Modem appears to constantly restart, every few minutes. Also, either in bridge or normal mode the internet light on the modem is always red, not sure if that's to be expected or if that means the modem is the issue.

I am desperate to use this setup to address the stability issues on our network so would really appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jun-20 11:19:34
Print Post

Re: Zyxel VMG3925-B10B Modem in Bridge mode with Asus RT-AC6

[re: kevy12345] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kevy12345:
Since covid struck and both my wife and I work from home, our Sky Fibre broadband (ADSL up to 24MB) has become a thorn in my backside. It's fine when one person is surfing the net but as soon as the second does something, it massively degrades the connection for everyone, as if it can't handle multiple connections at once.

What was the original Sky router? What actual speeds do you get? Upload speed is critical.
If you are on "sky fibre" that won't be ADSL.

If the upload speed is too low then two people trying to work from home, especially with video (Zoom, Teams, Webex, Google Meet) can cripple the connection for the other person.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User kevy12345
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-20 16:48:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It’s a Sky Q router. I get around 17mbps download and 1 upload. To be honest, if I’m on a zoom call and someone in the house sends or receives a text message the zoom call will freeze briefly. Another reason for wanting to replace the hub is that the wireless range on it is poor.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jun-20 19:05:51
Print Post

It’s a Sky Q router. I get around 17mbps download and 1 upload. To be honest, if I’m on a zoom call and someone in the house sends or receives a text message the zoom call will freeze briefly. Another reason for wanting to replace the hub is that the wireless range on it is poor.

The 1 upload will be completely filled up by the Zoom call. If the text message is using WhatsApp, iMessage or Facebook Messenger, than that will be using your WiFi and hit the congestion on the upload.

You probably need to ask Sky what the costs are to upgrade to 'Fibre' and what speeds you would get, the important question is the UPLOAD speed.

Sales people always talk about download speed, and will say things like "upto 38 Mbps" and products of this type CAN get upto 10 Mbps upload - but Sky (or any other provider) will be able to give you an indication of what YOU can get.

Standard User kevy12345
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-20 20:56:19
Print Post

I already have Fibre. We are quite far from the local exchange so it’s the best we can get here. I understand Zoom would easily take that upload but you don’t expect text messages to cause blips in the internet. I tried a tp-link router for a while and when it was up and running, it was brilliant but it would completely die twice a day and require a reboot.

The Zyxel modem I have was most likely an ISP issue but regardless, it has the setting to run in bridge mode so you expect there to be a way of making it work.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jun-20 10:32:55
Print Post

I already have Fibre.

You said in your earlier post you were on an "upto 24 Mbps" service. Sky marketing is confusing, but that is not "fibre" / FTTC / VDSL it is the older ADSL system.

Standard User kevy12345
(newbie) Sun 21-Jun-20 11:44:02
Print Post

Sorry that was my fault, poor choice of words. I’m on sky fibre and they said based on where I live I can expect up to 24MB.

I got the Zyxel working with my router 😀
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jun-20 13:37:38
Print Post

Ok! Hope it helps, but I suspect you might need to investigate the really complicated concept of rate limiting or QoS to limit one application from using all your upload speed.

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 21-Jun-20 16:11:54
Print Post

Your Zyxel modem should be in a different subnet to the Asus router - try changing it to 192.168.2.1 and see if that helps. The Asus router should be receiving an IP address like 192.168.2.2 on the WAN connection.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Edited by brookheather (Sun 21-Jun-20 16:12:31)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jun-20 18:19:23
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Your Zyxel modem should be in a different subnet to the Asus router - try changing it to 192.168.2.1 and see if that helps. The Asus router should be receiving an IP address like 192.168.2.2 on the WAN connection.

Is this correct? I have my VMG1312-B10A in bridge mode sat on 192.168.1.1 and my Orbi router as 192.168.1.2 serving out addreses from 192.168.1.3 upwards and everything works together quite happily.
Standard User mrc99
(learned) Mon 22-Jun-20 19:22:07
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

If the Zyxel is really in bridge mode with the router handling PPPoE then the IP address on the WAN isn't really relevant unless you want to talk IP to/from it from the LAN side. The PPP & IP ethernet frames between the Zyxel and router on the WAN side are at the same protocol level with different ethertypes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to