Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TBUser2012
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 01:40:09
Print Post

Newbuild Wiring

[link to this post]

I've just purchased a newbuild flat (haven't yet completed) which has ethernet sockets seemingly built-in, situated right next to TV/Radio/SAT wallplates (they're definitely RJ45, telephone sockets are located elsewhere). This setup is present in the living room as well as the master bedroom.

How are these ethernet sockets wired and how do I make use of them? There's an active Hyperoptic socket in the storage cupboard (the property is also eligible for BT Full Fibre), but I prefer wired connections for my computers for speed/stability/security, and I don't like the prospect of running cables under doors and across the floor.

Unfortunately the sales representative didn't know anything about this. Is there a standard method of wiring newbuilds that facilitates wired connections from storage/utility cupboards?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jun-20 06:14:22
Print Post

Re: Newbuild Wiring

[re: TBUser2012] [link to this post]

The ethernet cables should be going back to a central point. Probably the storage cupboard you mention ... if not obvious in there, are there maybe blanking plates on the wall hiding coiled up ethernet cables ?

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(member) Fri 26-Jun-20 07:16:08
Print Post

When our home was built for us, all the ethernet points terminated in a cupboard in a big bunch and it was up to us to purchase an ethernet switch.

I know you are likely to be FTTP but for FTTC customers, the main router plugged into the switch and all other wired devices went into it too rather than the (usually 4) sockets on the back of the router. I would assume that your FTTP box will have a similar LAN socket.

I initially started with a dumb (unmanaged) 16-port switch by Netgear (they come in 4,8,16 and 32-port versions) but recently have changed it for one which also supplies PoE (power over ethernet) since I have an outdoor 4G router which needs a power supply. Although PoE is often optional and can be supplied to a single device by a PoE Injector it is often tidier to make it part of the switch.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NJSS
(member) Fri 26-Jun-20 08:16:50
Print Post

If you can't get a decent answer get your solicitor to raise the issue with the developer's solicitors well before completion.

The information should be "on-file" but getting it may be difficult unless you really press.

NJSS

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:19:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by TBUser2012:
Unfortunately the sales representative didn't know anything about this.

Find the Site Manager and ask them. Or find the electrician and ask.

If this is a new-build you should be provided with a manual for the house which should include plans. Also, the sales office should have a copy of the drawings including the electrical layout. Go see that.

If the sales person really doesn't know (I find that difficult to understand!) maybe this was an addition provided for a previous buyer who pulled out? Either way there are plans showing all the cables and where they run. Otherwise the electrician wouldn't know what to do!
Standard User TBUser2012
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:49:17
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Unfortunately the sales representative didn't know anything about this.

Find the Site Manager and ask them. Or find the electrician and ask.

If this is a new-build you should be provided with a manual for the house which should include plans. Also, the sales office should have a copy of the drawings including the electrical layout. Go see that.

If the sales person really doesn't know (I find that difficult to understand!) maybe this was an addition provided for a previous buyer who pulled out? Either way there are plans showing all the cables and where they run. Otherwise the electrician wouldn't know what to do!

I know Hyperoptic was built-in as standard for the development, and I'll be provided with a full property information manual upon completion, but I thought perhaps I could figure out a setup in the interim. I did manage to take a couple of pictures if that helps.

The brochure/specification just states that the living room and master bedroom are wired to receive digital television, Sky+ HD and Virgin, which based on my understanding are oddly specific services to list when I all see are standard sockets.

The sales representative was more traditional in terms of property features and less technically inclined, which seems to be the norm. I previously rented a newbuild property that also seemingly had pre-wired ethernet, and when I had Sky services installed, the Openreach engineer said none of the sockets were actually live/working because of something in the storage cupboard not being connected (where the master socket was), and neither the managing agent nor the landlord nor the developer cared to figure it out and fix it because the vast majority of people are satisfied with WiFi. There seems to be a trend of placing master sockets in out-of-sight storage/utility areas for newbuilds.

Edited by TBUser2012 (Fri 26-Jun-20 11:00:00)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 10:56:57
Print Post

The sales representative was more traditional in terms of property features and less technically inclined, which seems to be the norm.

I've met them!

I bought a property off-plan and the developer has a number of 'optional' extras to offer. That included kitchen upgrades, extra sockets, radiators moved, whatever you liked other than the walls moved! So the sales office had a full set of plans inside and out so I could see where everything would be and if I wanted - for a fee - to move a socket.

Maybe your property is beyond that but the office will still have a plan. My plan would be to see that plan!
Standard User TBUser2012
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:04:41
Print Post

The sales representative was more traditional in terms of property features and less technically inclined, which seems to be the norm.

I bought a property off-plan and the developer has a number of 'optional' extras to offer. That included kitchen upgrades, extra sockets, radiators moved, whatever you liked other than the walls moved! So the sales office had a full set of plans inside and out so I could see where everything would be and if I wanted - for a fee - to move a socket.

Maybe your property is beyond that but the office will still have a plan. My plan would be to see that plan!

The development was completed last year and I'm one of the last buyers, due to move in within the next couple of weeks. The sales office was closed even before the lockdown.

I would have definitely paid to move/add sockets. Instead I now have three (!) telephone sockets where I would much prefer ethernet.

Edited by TBUser2012 (Fri 26-Jun-20 11:07:03)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:10:50
Print Post

The development was completed last year and I'm one of the last buyers, due to move in within the next couple of weeks. The sales office was closed even before the lockdown.

I would have definitely paid to move/add sockets. Instead I now three (!) telephone sockets where I would much prefer ethernet.

That makes me even more likely to think someone else ordered them and pulled out.

What's nice about new builds is they're mostly plasterboard and its dramatic but easy to cut into, run cable and seal up again. I had some electrical work done that required the ceiling opened up (a 20 cms hole every meter, about 7 or 8) and once patched up and refinished you wouldn't know.
Standard User TBUser2012
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 11:30:56
Print Post

I would have definitely paid to move/add sockets. Instead I now three (!) telephone sockets where I would much prefer ethernet.

That makes me even more likely to think someone else ordered them and pulled out.

What's nice about new builds is they're mostly plasterboard and its dramatic but easy to cut into, run cable and seal up again. I had some electrical work done that required the ceiling opened up (a 20 cms hole every meter, about 7 or 8) and once patched up and refinished you wouldn't know.

Someone did pull out, but the standard brochure/specification states that the living room and master bedroom are wired to receive digital television, Sky+ HD and Virgin. It obviously doesn't specify how exactly that works.

I'll definitely think about rewiring in the future, instead of just running long cables through trunking.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to