Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:53:33
Print Post

Re: Odd "ethernet" cable - what is it?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
One day noticed that one core was rusty and also magnetic
I've had magnetic cores before smile

It's possible the brown pair is the wrong spec core but everything just fits in the outer sheath so it's unlikely. My money is on it not actually being ethernet cable.

I can't even blame it on being a language problem because the electrician was shocked to see it too and the electrical wholesaler assured him the cable would be good.

If I can find out what it actually is and discover that it isn't ethernet cable, I can just ask the electrician to replace it.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:56:11
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Your links won’t open for me either Sarah.

Working fine here

https://imgur.com/a/CGXUTTq
Thanks. I restarted the web server so it should be working for everyone with a browser that supports TLS 1.2 and 1.3 now smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:14:01
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

If its Ethernet cable its the strangest stuff I've ever seen. My vote goes to cable for a door Intercom.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:54:09
Print Post

I had a feeling it could be an Audio cable. I cannot find te cable, however have a read of:

https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/24058-Radio...

Scroll right to the bottom where it refers to power being on the Brown/White pair and would be a good reason to separate power from 3xaudio. At5e/6 is often used but this would be an improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 14:01:58
Print Post

Can you ask the wholesaler for a make and catalogue number etc?

When you attempted "normal" termination, did the twists correspond to normal CAT5? I could not see the usual CAT6 plastic centre spacer piece in your photo.

(For interest, there are certainly some unusual cables out there in the field: http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra... including a CAT5 version)

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 14:09:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That is an interesting find. I wonder what the demand is for 3 + 1-pair cable, to make it worthwhile?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 22:17:29
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Can you ask the wholesaler for a make and catalogue number etc?

When you attempted "normal" termination, did the twists correspond to normal CAT5? I could not see the usual CAT6 plastic centre spacer piece in your photo.

(For interest, there are certainly some unusual cables out there in the field: http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra... including a CAT5 version)

Cheers!
Unfortunately I have no idea which wholesaler this came from as the electrician turned up with it already. It looks like the TUK connectors I've ordered work so there's probably no need to call the electrician back. I might drop him an email though as I'm very curious about the cable.

I think that in the future I'm going to have to give more specific instructions.

Sarah

--

Standard User godsell4
(member) Sat 25-Jul-20 22:34:02
Print Post

Is the white pipe running above the 4-way adapter really a water pipe?

Gigaclear FTTP 300Mb on Order
Three HomeFi 15 to 20Mb.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre an unreliable 3Mb
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sun 26-Jul-20 15:42:02
Print Post

Do you or the sparky have access to a proper cabling tester like a Fluke DSX-5000 or 8000?

Testing will tell you exactly what the cable will be certified against (TIA/EIA categories or ISO Classes) to carry.

Personally I’m never a fan of getting the spark to supply (or terminate/test for that matter) structured cabling in a commercial setting. They will throw in whatever they have got in the back of the van, which look very much to be the case here smile

(Admission, former structured cabling system designer here)
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 19:23:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
'twas a PBKC problem wink

https://pbkennelclub.com/

I thought that you were in France? wink

Cheers!

Clive

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to