Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 22:38:50
Print Post

Odd "ethernet" cable - what is it?

[link to this post]

I've been working on a Unifi installation in France and the way I generally do things is to work with local electricians so that they do the cable runs and I do the rest. I always specify Cat6 or Cat6A U/FTP cable and I've never had a problem before.

This time, one of the cable runs has been done using this and I've never seen anything like it. It's really bizarre confused

Three pairs (orange, blue, green) have cores with an insulation diameter of 1.00mm and are bundled together in one foil screen. The brown pair is in a separate foil screen and has an insulation diameter of 1.30mm. The conductor diameter is greater too.

The overall cable sheath is oval.

We ended up with this cable from the electrical wholesaler because the previous cable (of more usual construction) had all eight cores of 1.30mm diameter and it won't fit the RJ45 plugs I have. It needs to in order to plug into the rear of Unifi in wall access points comme ça.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 23:41:24
Print Post

Re: Odd "ethernet" cable - what is it?

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Off the top of my head, could it be intended for a proprietary POE system?

Not the usual POE where 7 & 8 are joined as one conductor and 4 & 5 as the other. Using just two thicker conductors would release a pair for something else. Perhaps a Press Switch for a Door Entry Video system or Door Bolt release?

Are there any marking on the cable sheath?

Good Luck.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 00:02:33
Print Post

It could be a manufacturing error.

Some years back had problems with the exhaust gas themocouples and wiring on a ship which had been converted from twin steam turbine to two rather large diesel engines.

Time after time we tried setting up the data logging and control system only to find the displayed temperatures were incorrect. One day noticed that one core was rusty and also magnetic which did not fit in with the colour code of the cable. I brought a few inches of cable home to identify and from a few phone calls found that a batch of cable had been manufactured with the core and sheath colours of the previous production run of a different type..... I'm not sure what happened in the end, for the amount of cable involved would have been expensive.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 25-Jul-20 00:15:20
Print Post

Running dodgy websites again:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.coffee.co.uk. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 06:14:27
Print Post

Your links won’t open for me either Sarah.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:15:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Same here.

BTBroadband
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:24:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Running dodgy websites again:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.coffee.co.uk. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
Thank you for informing the web site owner of this problem smile

Ooops! blush

I did a kernel update, restarted the server and forgot to restart the web server. I'm not very good with technology.

It should be working now smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:26:56
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:

Same here.
'twas a PBKC problem wink

Sarah

--

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:28:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Working fine here

https://imgur.com/a/CGXUTTq

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:45:43
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

It may well be that it isn't ethernet cable at all but as you suggest something for door entry.

Unfortunately, I didn't see enough of the sheath to find any useful markings. It's all hidden in flexible conduit inside walls with just 30cm sticking out of each end. TDR reports a length of 11m.

I've ordered some larger connectors and when I get back there in about three weeks I'll see if I can get a reliable connection. I have a small sample of it here so that I can test whether the connectors work. If I can't get a good connection with the TUK PXCAT6S8XL RJ45s (which I might not be able to) then I'll have to go for the nuclear option of the TUK PGSXL plus a new TUK T2079 crimp tool. I'd rather not have to do that because all that expense is just for one cable. Or I'll ask the electrician to put some new cable in.

If I get a termination on both ends I can run a bit error and speed negotiation test to see whether it supports gigabit without errors (using a Pockethernet tester).

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:53:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
One day noticed that one core was rusty and also magnetic
I've had magnetic cores before smile

It's possible the brown pair is the wrong spec core but everything just fits in the outer sheath so it's unlikely. My money is on it not actually being ethernet cable.

I can't even blame it on being a language problem because the electrician was shocked to see it too and the electrical wholesaler assured him the cable would be good.

If I can find out what it actually is and discover that it isn't ethernet cable, I can just ask the electrician to replace it.

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:56:11
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:

Working fine here

https://imgur.com/a/CGXUTTq
Thanks. I restarted the web server so it should be working for everyone with a browser that supports TLS 1.2 and 1.3 now smile

Sarah

--

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:14:01
Print Post

If its Ethernet cable its the strangest stuff I've ever seen. My vote goes to cable for a door Intercom.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:54:09
Print Post

I had a feeling it could be an Audio cable. I cannot find te cable, however have a read of:

https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/24058-Radio...

Scroll right to the bottom where it refers to power being on the Brown/White pair and would be a good reason to separate power from 3xaudio. At5e/6 is often used but this would be an improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 14:01:58
Print Post

Can you ask the wholesaler for a make and catalogue number etc?

When you attempted "normal" termination, did the twists correspond to normal CAT5? I could not see the usual CAT6 plastic centre spacer piece in your photo.

(For interest, there are certainly some unusual cables out there in the field: http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra... including a CAT5 version)

Cheers!

Clive

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 14:09:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That is an interesting find. I wonder what the demand is for 3 + 1-pair cable, to make it worthwhile?

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 22:17:29
Print Post

Can you ask the wholesaler for a make and catalogue number etc?

When you attempted "normal" termination, did the twists correspond to normal CAT5? I could not see the usual CAT6 plastic centre spacer piece in your photo.

(For interest, there are certainly some unusual cables out there in the field: http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra... including a CAT5 version)

Cheers!
Unfortunately I have no idea which wholesaler this came from as the electrician turned up with it already. It looks like the TUK connectors I've ordered work so there's probably no need to call the electrician back. I might drop him an email though as I'm very curious about the cable.

I think that in the future I'm going to have to give more specific instructions.

Sarah

--

Standard User godsell4
(member) Sat 25-Jul-20 22:34:02
Print Post

Is the white pipe running above the 4-way adapter really a water pipe?

Gigaclear FTTP 300Mb on Order
Three HomeFi 15 to 20Mb.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre an unreliable 3Mb
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sun 26-Jul-20 15:42:02
Print Post

Do you or the sparky have access to a proper cabling tester like a Fluke DSX-5000 or 8000?

Testing will tell you exactly what the cable will be certified against (TIA/EIA categories or ISO Classes) to carry.

Personally I’m never a fan of getting the spark to supply (or terminate/test for that matter) structured cabling in a commercial setting. They will throw in whatever they have got in the back of the van, which look very much to be the case here smile

(Admission, former structured cabling system designer here)
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 19:23:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:

https://pbkennelclub.com/

I thought that you were in France? wink

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 21:56:25
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Do you or the sparky have access to a proper cabling tester like a Fluke DSX-5000 or 8000?

Testing will tell you exactly what the cable will be certified against (TIA/EIA categories or ISO Classes) to carry.

Personally I’m never a fan of getting the spark to supply (or terminate/test for that matter) structured cabling in a commercial setting. They will throw in whatever they have got in the back of the van, which look very much to be the case here smile

(Admission, former structured cabling system designer here)
I can do verification and qualification but not certification. I suspect the electrician can do neither on ethernet. The white cable was supplied new from the wholesaler in response to a request for a CAT6A U/FTP cable that had smaller a overall core diameter than Draka UC500 S23 Dca which was used for the other cable runs. Fortunately I've now got connectors which will fit the Draka cable.

When I'm back in France where I've left the electrician's contact details, I'll try to find out what it actually is. If it supports gigabit with no errors then it'll be job done. It's only being used for one of six cable runs in a domestic installation.

Sarah

--

Edited by caffn8me (Sun 26-Jul-20 22:05:29)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 21:59:18
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by godsell4:
Is the white pipe running above the 4-way adapter really a water pipe?
Quite probably. It didn't seem to worry the electrician or the builder who is installing a wine cellar. I suspect it's a condensate drain from the wine cellar's cooler unit which is just to the right out of the picture.

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 22:02:31
Print Post

https://pbkennelclub.com/
They're funny looking dogs.
I thought that you were in France? wink
I was. A rapidly moving target is harder to hit - and that's my excuse smile

Sarah

--

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Mon 27-Jul-20 08:24:57
Print Post

I can do verification and qualification but not certification. I suspect the electrician can do neither on ethernet. The white cable was supplied new from the wholesaler in response to a request for a CAT6A U/FTP cable that had smaller a overall core diameter than Draka UC500 S23 Dca which was used for the other cable runs. Fortunately I've now got connectors which will fit the Draka cable.

When I'm back in France where I've left the electrician's contact details, I'll try to find out what it actually is. If it supports gigabit with no errors then it'll be job done. It's only being used for one of six cable runs in a domestic installation.

The fact that pair 4 is a different gauge to pairs 1 to 3, may well affect the delay skew of the cable. The tolerances for Cat6A on this are especially tight - however that's definitely not a 6A rated cable. For old fashioned 100M ethernet it wouldn't matter so much as only pairs 2 & 3 are used, but 1000M uses all 4 pairs and it may have a bearing...

I expect you will connect up the AP and switch and either get a full 1000M link up or the NICs at either end wont like it at 1000M and simply drop back to 100M. Whether there are errors and issues down the track is again anyone guess. If its mission critical (doesn't really sound like it is) then you'd rip and replace.
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Mon 27-Jul-20 13:49:58
Print Post

It looks like it could be CCTV cable.
Brown for power and the others for three separate video signals.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 17:15:06
Print Post

The fact that pair 4 is a different gauge to pairs 1 to 3, may well affect the delay skew of the cable. The tolerances for Cat6A on this are especially tight - however that's definitely not a 6A rated cable. For old fashioned 100M ethernet it wouldn't matter so much as only pairs 2 & 3 are used, but 1000M uses all 4 pairs and it may have a bearing...

I expect you will connect up the AP and switch and either get a full 1000M link up or the NICs at either end wont like it at 1000M and simply drop back to 100M. Whether there are errors and issues down the track is again anyone guess. If its mission critical (doesn't really sound like it is) then you'd rip and replace.
I can measure the delay skew and determine whether it's above 45ns. The access point that will be connected uses gigabit and covers two bedrooms. I'll know when I get back whether it's any good or not. I couldn't terminate the cable last time.

It doesn't actually need to meet Cat 6A standards. As long as it hits Cat 5e, it will be fine. If I can't get a stable 1000 then the electrician's coming back.

Sarah

--

Edited by caffn8me (Mon 27-Jul-20 17:24:07)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 17:25:10
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

It could be but wouldn't each camera need power?

Sarah

--

Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-20 18:33:40
Print Post

Is the brown pair CAT7 specification cable? I thought that was 1.3mm and looser twist. Maybe just a manufacturing defect where they have crossed to specifications by mistake.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 19:44:42
Print Post

My I/P CCTV camera uses P.O.E. for the camera power supply. Each camera socket on the recorder having P.O.E. capability.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 19:55:53
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I'm completely clueless what the cable is (and a lot of other things wink ). It's odd that it's a 3+1 pair construction which is probably quite difficult to manufacture accidentally. I think it's going to be a question of asking the electrician to go contact the wholesaler and find out what it's for. I've searched all over the interweb thingy and not found anything close.

Update: It looks like it's USB 3.0 cable which has three data pairs and one (thicker) power pair. I have found a similar cable here but not the exact equivalent.

Sarah

--

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Mon 27-Jul-20 20:49:55
Print Post

Update: It looks like it's USB 3.0 cable which has three data pairs and one (thicker) power pair. I have found a similar cable here but not the exact equivalent.

If so that is very unfortunate as USB cable even if it comes off a long reel was mean to be cut to short-ish lengths and used for making up leads, and not structured cabling.

That said subject to the pairs having the right (different) amounts of twist being in spec you may get 100M, or 1G if the distance is much less than 90m.

I really hope new builds and renovations start to follow some kind of standard practice with minimum standards in similar ways to utilities and building codes otherwise it feels like the potential of fibre to the building is going to be let down by what happens inside.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 21:58:57
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
If so that is very unfortunate as USB cable even if it comes off a long reel was mean to be cut to short-ish lengths and used for making up leads, and not structured cabling.
This is manufactured more like structured cabling with solid cores so useless for flexible USB leads.
That said subject to the pairs having the right (different) amounts of twist being in spec you may get 100M, or 1G if the distance is much less than 90m.
I supect the cable run is about 15-20 metres and can test whether it connects at gigabit speeds and what the bit error rate is. If I get reliable gigabit speeds I'll leave it. The room the outlet is in will never need 10Gbps speeds.
I really hope new builds and renovations start to follow some kind of standard practice with minimum standards in similar ways to utilities and building codes otherwise it feels like the potential of fibre to the building is going to be let down by what happens inside.
It would be nice to have everything standardized, yes. Even then standards are routinely ignored frown

Sarah

--

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 06:17:06
Print Post

I'm completely clueless what the cable is (and a lot of other things wink ). It's odd that it's a 3+1 pair construction which is probably quite difficult to manufacture accidentally. I think it's going to be a question of asking the electrician to go contact the wholesaler and find out what it's for. I've searched all over the interweb thingy and not found anything close.

I’m not really sure your weird cable is the same as the USB3 cable! That cable you linked to has 3 individually screened pairs and 2 larger gauge cores (not a pair) as a power “pair” all within an overall braid/screen for the cable. It is actually more like a Cat 7 cable (or the old IBM Type 1 cable) in this respect with individually screened twisted pairs and and overall shield.

Now if your cable is not a “structured” cable - I have bit my to tongue in the description of it an “Ethernet” cable here smile as Ethernet is one of the many protocols, but admittedly probably if not the most popular data protocol, to run on 100-ohm 4-pair (unshielded/shielded) twisted pair - that is its not Category/Class rated UTP/STP structured cable and something else like a specific USB cable then that’s going to have a different characteristic impedance.

One thing that is common across all generations of Category 3, 5, 5E, 6, 6A and even 7 cable is that their characteristic impedance is 100 ohms. Probably not a well known fact but quite important in the grand scheme of things. Other twisted pair cables and there are literally thousands of types may have a different characteristic impedance - hooking that up a cable that has nominal 90 ohm characteristic impedance for example to (Ethernet) gear that’s expecting to see nominal 100 ohm impedance *could* result in signal reflections, especially towards the upper end of the frequency range that GigE works on.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-20 23:32:39
Print Post

Well, I should be nearer to finding out what this cable is next week.

I'm off to France to continue with this and several other projects. Saturday's going to be spent food shopping here in the UK in preparation for my 14 day self quarantine when I get back in a week or three.

Sarah

--

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Aug-20 00:31:53
Print Post

If your date of return is uncertain you can place several online orders with the likes of Tesco and the cancel the ones that you don't need. You just need to cancel at least the day before the delivery is due.

Michael Chare
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Aug-20 05:15:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thank you for that. I have a definite return flight booked at the moment but that's already been cancelled by BA once before so that could change.

I suspect my flight out is going to be a lot quieter than when I last flew out on the 30th June when every seat on the plane was taken. My biggest concern yesterday when I realized I was going to be locked down was that I might run out of coffee smile

Sarah

--

Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Fri 14-Aug-20 09:10:52
Print Post

Yes but you can split the power between the cameras as they use 12v DC.
For example 3 cameras that draw up to 1 amp each can be powered by a single 12v 3 amp power adapter.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-20 09:57:23
Print Post

My biggest concern yesterday when I realized I was going to be locked down was that I might run out of coffee smile

You might also be concerned that you may have to quarantine in France on arrival. The French have said any quarantine rules will be reciprocated.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Aug-20 17:32:25
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
You might also be concerned that you may have to quarantine in France on arrival. The French have said any quarantine rules will be reciprocated.
I do wonder about the wisdom of their doing that. Doing so would presumably further reduce the number of holiday visitors from the UK and their economic benefit to France.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 24-Aug-20 23:47:21
Print Post

Well, I should be nearer to finding out what this cable is next week.

I'm off to France to continue with this and several other projects. Saturday's going to be spent food shopping here in the UK in preparation for my 14 day self quarantine when I get back in a week or three.

Did it work/test out as expected Sarah and/or were you able to find out what the sparky actually installed?
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Aug-20 22:39:03
Print Post

I only managed to get to the site for the first time today. Too many other projects have cropped up unexpectedly. I was finally able to terminate the cable and can confirm that over a TDR measured length of 22m I'm getting a delay skew of less than 7ns for each pair.

A long bit error rate test shows zero errors too (107 random 1518 byte packets at a link speed of 1GBps). The link happily runs at gigabit speeds which is all it needs to do for the installed Unifi UAP-AC-IW access point.

I still don't know what the cable is but there's about a metre and a half of it inside trunking that I can get to to see what's written on it. I'm back in the morning so will have a look. It's definitely for structured cabling use, I just don't know what use smile

I haven't gone searching for the electrician's card yet.

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-20 00:03:57
Print Post

Did it work/test out as expected Sarah and/or were you able to find out what the sparky actually installed?
I've got it smile

It's Acohome Grade 2 TV 4P LSOH-FR and I think that 'odd' describes it perfectly. I've never seen anything like it in the UK.

Sarah

--

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 02-Sep-20 14:02:04
Print Post

caffn8me

Glad to hear it all worked, but never seen or heard of anything like it. Interesting set of services all bundled together and I can see how it could be useful in a residential setting historically.

Back in 2004 the early FTTP equipment offered phone, TV and BB over two different light frequencies, this would have been useful for cabling from the ONT around a residence.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 02-Sep-20 15:42:52
Print Post

Well the information in the PDF says it's good for gigabit using all four pairs, so as long as you where not hoping to put 10Gb Ethernet down it anytime soon it you are fine as your measurements would indicate.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-20 19:38:57
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
caffn8me

Glad to hear it all worked, but never seen or heard of anything like it. Interesting set of services all bundled together and I can see how it could be useful in a residential setting historically.

Back in 2004 the early FTTP equipment offered phone, TV and BB over two different light frequencies, this would have been useful for cabling from the ONT around a residence.
Yes, luckily it's a short cable run to a guest bedroom and it works fine. I'm certainly going to be far more specific in the future and look at any cables before installation. This stuff is a complete pain to terminate in RJ45 plugs because of the disparity in core diameter.

Where I am in London, FTTP from Community Fibre uses two different frequencies; one for domestic customers and the other for business customers.

Sarah

--

Edited by caffn8me (Wed 02-Sep-20 19:54:06)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-20 19:42:27
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well the information in the PDF says it's good for gigabit using all four pairs, so as long as you where not hoping to put 10Gb Ethernet down it anytime soon it you are fine as your measurements would indicate.
The PDF also says "Longueur maximale de câblage préconisée : 45m" - the maximum recommended cable segment is 45m so that's not even Cat5e standards.

If there was ever any likelihood that the client would need 10GB in that bedroom I'd have the electrician replace it but we're good to go.

Sarah

--

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 02-Sep-20 22:53:34
Print Post

I've got it smile

It's Acohome Grade 2 TV 4P LSOH-FR and I think that 'odd' describes it perfectly. I've never seen anything like it in the UK.

That is a wacky one! Perhaps the thinking behind the thicker gauge and seperate screen of pair 4 is some better attenuation performance and screening for running digital TV over that pair - they are hinting at 2200 MHz for satellite, but I really can't imagine you'd want to run over that rather some some proper coax, either double or quad-shield stuff. Oddball stuff.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 02-Sep-20 23:04:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
The PDF also says "Longueur maximale de câblage préconisée : 45m" - the maximum recommended cable segment is 45m so that's not even Cat5e standards.

If there was ever any likelihood that the client would need 10GB in that bedroom I'd have the electrician replace it but we're good to go.

No doubt your segment length is under 45m, so it will 'do' Gigabit happy days, but defo not to Cat5e limits (up to 100m channel) let alone Cat 6 or Cat6A for driving 10GbE. It does the job though for now.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-20 08:12:11
Print Post

No doubt your segment length is under 45m, so it will 'do' Gigabit happy days, but defo not to Cat5e limits (up to 100m channel) let alone Cat 6 or Cat6A for driving 10GbE. It does the job though for now.
Yes, it's lucky that it's only 22m (according to TDR). The switch is bang in the middle of the house and the furthest ethernet run in the other direction is also 22m so it would have been 44m total had we had the switch at the end of the house smile

Sarah

--

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to