Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 02-Aug-20 19:36:39
Print Post

Any Grandstream Wp810 and Sipgate users?

[link to this post]

Would welcome opinions as thinking of getting one as means I don't need a base station.

Sipgate looks pretty easy to set up.

Want to do it so I can test long before the PSTN shutdown.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 02-Aug-20 19:37:08)

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sun 02-Aug-20 23:27:11
Print Post

Re: Any Grandstream Wp810 and Sipgate users?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

If it’s just testing through your connection and router, you can easily test Sipgate using a soft phone app either in desktop or tablet/smartphone.
Standard User jpm
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 00:46:46
Print Post

Not Grandstream-specific but I have had quite poor results with Wi-Fi phones in the past - have tried Cisco and Spectralink devices and either they are very picking about the networks they will join or the battery life is awful.

I would imagine with a single-AP setup on a modern device and sitting it in the charger for most of the time this won't be an issue though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 05:33:10
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I’d agree. As a wireless technology for voice, DECT still has the upper hand over WiFi and personally would be where I would be looking. Nothing against Grandstream.
Standard User deezel
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 09:46:30
Print Post

I use Sipgate with the Gigaset N300IP box and handset and it's as good if not better than the normal land line phone

Billion 8900 AX 2400
AAISP Home 1
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:35:22
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Firstly, thanks for replying.

Have signed up to sipgate and am awating their start code now.

Looks like the Fritzbox can be configured to support DECT handsets so will pair and take a look when I can activate it.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User steve25
(newbie) Tue 04-Aug-20 07:25:57
Print Post

I have used Gigaset DECT handsets with a FB7530 and a Sipgate UK number for over a year, no problems.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 04-Aug-20 08:23:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
Looks like the Fritzbox can be configured to support DECT handsets so will pair and take a look when I can activate it.

This is what I have! My Sipgate numbers ring on my DECT handset. Very simple to set up on the Fritz. You can also have your landline routed to the DECT handset (as you'd expect!) alongside the VoIP number,
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 07-Aug-20 19:51:56
Print Post

[re: steve25] [link to this post]

Cheers all.

Bought a basic BT Everday DECT handset to test with so I don't disrupt the main line.

Set the router up as directed, if I ring my mobile (running on the O2 hosted MVNO giffgaff) the sipgate number appears fine but if I ring the landline it comes up as International then the number (BT WLR through IDNet), is there anyway to stop this or is just becauuse the call is routing back from Germany?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)

Print Thread

Jump to