Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:45:49
Print Post

UK based cloud backup?

[link to this post]

Replaced a MyCloud with a Synology DS118 as a NAS backup for my PC.

Obviously it's also a good idea to have an offsite backup so I initially selected iDrive but fear I might get stung over the longer term.

Is there a UK based (and hosted) one anyone could suggest for maybe 50-60 quid a year?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Sep-20 09:54:47
Print Post

Re: UK based cloud backup?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Do you just need cloud storage to back up to or do you actually need a full backup service? How much data do you need to store?
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Thu 10-Sep-20 10:31:24
Print Post

I use a combination of Amazon Cloud Drive, ~£160/year for 2TB and Arq to do my backups.

https://amzn.to/3ikk2SI
https://www.arqbackup.com

Arq is great because it can backup to multiple storage types. So I have it backing up locally to my server over sftp, most of my stuff to Amazon Cloud Drive and some stuff to an AWS bucket.

I did try Backblaze, but that was to their US data centre and it was horribly slow. I think they have a UK one now, that I've not tried (they have their Backblaze service that includes a client, but also just plain storage that you can use Arq with).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Thu 10-Sep-20 10:45:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
Replaced a MyCloud with a Synology DS118 as a NAS backup for my PC.

Obviously it's also a good idea to have an offsite backup so I initially selected iDrive but fear I might get stung over the longer term.

Is there a UK based (and hosted) one anyone could suggest for maybe 50-60 quid a year?

Hi,

I highly recommend Synology's own C2 backup service, it is reasonably priced and I've never had any issues with it. It would be stored in Frankfurt though.
If you need the data stored in the UK I have worked with Node 4 and they have centres in Northampton and Derby.

Thanks
Dan
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Thu 10-Sep-20 13:26:47
Print Post

I've been using iDrive for about 3 years. I had one issue where they "lost" my account and it took a couple of weeks to get it (and the data) back. I was absolutely incandescent. I got a big 😉 apology though.
There is an iDrive client that runs on the Synology NAS as well as a PC client. I use realtime backup on a Win VM and scheduled overnight a backup on the Synology with the iDrive client. Restores are fine as well using the Synology or Window client.

I’ve got my account when they were doing a deal, it’s about £60 / year for 1TB I think. I may be looking for something new sometime next year though.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Thu 10-Sep-20 16:04:23
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
I did try Backblaze, but that was to their US data centre and it was horribly slow. I think they have a UK one now, that I've not tried (they have their Backblaze service that includes a client, but also just plain storage that you can use Arq with).

Backblaze has a presence in Netherlands I think at least for their B2 cloud storage.

Not aware of a UK location but haven't been following closely
(member) Thu 10-Sep-20 16:38:08
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

When I was testing there was no EU data centre at all and they were talking about a UK one. Looks like they went with the Netherlands instead. Hopefully it works better now they are a bit more local.
(member) Thu 10-Sep-20 16:40:01
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Another fallout from Brexit I imagine frown
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-20 21:00:37
Print Post

Sorry for the delay in returning to the thread,

I'll stick with iDrive for now as seems to be doing what I was after.

If there's a big price hike when I come to renew I'll have to look again.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to