Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-20 10:39:01
Print Post

TP Link TL-WA850RE Appearing in Network List

[link to this post]

Does anyone else under Windows 10 see a device under "Networks" > "Network Infrastructure" called "TL-WA850RE"?

This device seems to come and go. Looking at the properties it says it's a TP Link device, and searching on the internet it says it's a "Range Extender".

However, I do not have any such devie plugged in to my network, nor do I see it's MAC address in my router (VM Hub 3)

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Nov-20 15:51:39
Print Post

Re: TP Link TL-WA850RE Appearing in Network List

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Does anyone else under Windows 10 see a device under "Networks" > "Network Infrastructure" called "TL-WA850RE"?

Where in Win10 are you looking? From the desktop icon called "Network" or from Settings or where? I cannot find an option called Network Infrastructure.

What type of hardware are you running Win10 on, could it be detecting something via WiFi or Bluetooth that is not actually on your IP network (in theory to configure it) ?

My desktop PC with Win10 Pro (20H2) has only Ethernet and I cannot find Network Infrastructure, which I suspect means nothing detected to show the category.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User flilot
(member) Sat 28-Nov-20 17:58:07
Print Post

Likely a WiFi range extender in a neighbouring property that is being picked up by your WiFi network.

Carl

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User skandia2
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-20 18:57:09
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

Windows 10 lists all the WiFi networks it can "see" even when it is connected to a WiFi network.
The TP Link device is being shown as an alternative WiFi network.
It can be ignored as it is not attached to your WiFi network.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-20 22:18:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Where in Win10 are you looking? From the desktop icon called "Network" or from Settings or where? I cannot find an option called Network Infrastructure.

What type of hardware are you running Win10 on, could it be detecting something via WiFi or Bluetooth that is not actually on your IP network (in theory to configure it) ?

My desktop PC with Win10 Pro (20H2) has only Ethernet and I cannot find Network Infrastructure, which I suspect means nothing detected to show the category.

Apologies, I should have mentioned this. It is within "File Explorer" then "Networks" this opens up a window that shows "Computers" (all the ones on my network), "Network Infrastructure" that shows this device - although it isn't at this ponit in time and lastly "Other Devices" which shows my Roku's etc.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-20 22:21:01
Print Post

[re: skandia2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by skandia2:
Windows 10 lists all the WiFi networks it can "see" even when it is connected to a WiFi network.
The TP Link device is being shown as an alternative WiFi network.
It can be ignored as it is not attached to your WiFi network.

Cheers flilot & skandia2, i was hoping this was the case. I think I have seen this behaviour before on my Windows 7 device (although not this device usually a random Samsung phone) but for some reason thought this had been sorted in Windows 10 so you only see what's on your local network.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 13:04:03
Print Post

" thought this had been sorted in Windows 10 so you only see what's on your local network."

How does one add this device if it is new and is not on your network, surely it has to be seen in order to connect to it and add password?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-20 13:46:33
Print Post

Apologies, I should have mentioned this. It is within "File Explorer" then "Networks" this opens up a window that shows "Computers" (all the ones on my network), "Network Infrastructure" that shows this device - although it isn't at this ponit in time and lastly "Other Devices" which shows my Roku's etc.

Interesting. On my network Win10 can only see other Windows computers, and my Yamaha receiver amp that supports the MS "Play to" protocol. None of my Fire TV sticks, nor my Now TV stick (made by Roku), or my ASUS router, show up.

I wonder if you have an optional feature enabled to help with configuration, or I've disabled one. Maybe because this desktop does not have any WiFi.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-20 13:50:14
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
How does one add this device if it is new and is not on your network, surely it has to be seen in order to connect to it and add password?

According to the user guide, you either use WPS from your router to "auto configure", or you connect to the WiFi from the extender and configure it via web browser.

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202004/20200422/1910...

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 30-Nov-20 10:25:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Interesting. On my network Win10 can only see other Windows computers, and my Yamaha receiver amp that supports the MS "Play to" protocol. None of my Fire TV sticks, nor my Now TV stick (made by Roku), or my ASUS router, show up.

I wonder if you have an optional feature enabled to help with configuration, or I've disabled one. Maybe because this desktop does not have any WiFi.

I think it's just the standard setup as both my laptop and PC show the same. I've just checked on my Windows 7 machine and this also shows the Roku's under "Other Devices". I don't think when I had a Firestick that did show on this page though. I assume the Roku's show as you can cast to them, and they also create a hidden network (even when this is turned off) pressumably for the remotes to connect to.

Makes sense I suppose in some ways to show these types of devices (someone elses device extender), however I would have assumed they would only show when you are not connected to a WiFi network to prevent people like me thinkning they are being hacked smile.

Edited by gary333 (Mon 30-Nov-20 10:26:28)

Print Thread

Jump to