Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Thu 18-Feb-21 14:45:09
Print Post

Re: Central Heating Control via WiFi

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

They quite possibly may have changed it at some point, but claim up to 25 heating devices + 25 separate A/C controls (should you have AC fitted/controlled):

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3455030-how-man...

I can't speak for Evohome but agree with your comments about Tado. They aren't the most customer responsive, feedback engaged IoT company out there, but the products are generally well built/specified and the user interface is very good. There are some annoying things, like the inability to have a bridge repeater/extender and for me at least the fact the bridge only connects to wired Ethernet and half-duplex 10BaseT (which is blimming ancient and becoming a compatibility liability with some of the newest network switches which wont go down that low...) but there are workarounds and will be fine for 98% of folks.

In general I would still recommend them for CH and HW domestic IoT-enabled system.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 20-Feb-21 00:00:51
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
They quite possibly may have changed it at some point, but claim up to 25 heating devices + 25 separate A/C controls (should you have AC fitted/controlled):

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3455030-how-man...

I can't speak for Evohome but agree with your comments about Tado. They aren't the most customer responsive, feedback engaged IoT company out there, but the products are generally well built/specified and the user interface is very good. There are some annoying things, like the inability to have a bridge repeater/extender and for me at least the fact the bridge only connects to wired Ethernet and half-duplex 10BaseT (which is blimming ancient and becoming a compatibility liability with some of the newest network switches which wont go down that low...) but there are workarounds and will be fine for 98% of folks.

In general I would still recommend them for CH and HW domestic IoT-enabled system.

Hi ya,

That FAQ intrigued me. Have done some digging and that link isn’t worded very well.

So, it looks like you can have up to 25 heating related devices in the whole system, but only 10 of those can have the facility to call for heat in a standard single zone controlled system. IMO it’s misleading, and I am sure people spending lots of money on Tado won’t be happy to find out this limitation. You could setup 25 rooms in the app, but only the first 10 (if all individual TRVs) would be able to switch the boiler on. The others would open up the TRVs, but if non of the first 10 call for heat, then no heat. Baffling limitation. Tado can rearrange which 10 can call, but the user cannot.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-21 08:01:46
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Hi Gary

Yes it’s somewhat woolly! To be perfectly honest I haven’t personally come up against this limit, however doing a little digging it appears other folks have.

There is another FAQ from tado that looks into the zoning / call for heat / rooms on slightly more detail here:

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/4689126-how-doe...

Having read through this tado forum it appears the 10 room (call for heat zones) is something that tado claim is quite deeply embedded in their firmware design and apparently can’t easily be changed. It’s an interesting read and quite up to date with some of the changes that they have recently made that allow user changes of which 10 zones can call for heat when a user has defined in excess of 10 zones /rooms.

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/4954/sup...

There are some interesting nuances to Tado’s argument from Jurian in that thread above that actually 10 call for heat zones is actually not a hard limitation for the vast majority of situations. Could they update their firmware to support more? That’s debatable and only Tado know the limitations of their current hardware and software.

Saying all that though, I still do feel tado is the market leader in this space. I’ve just looked at the new Bosch Easy system and it’s interesting too.

Are you a Tado user? If you are what do you think of it as a whole?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to