Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Dec-20 11:51:16
Print Post

Vlan

[link to this post]

Is it worth me bothering with Vlan?
My router is downstairs and have three Lan cables coming from it, the first goes to a switch by the TV, for the TV, Blue-ray p[layer and Wii U. the second comes up here to my computer room, to another switch where the computer, printer and NAS is connected and the third is to another switch on the other side of the living room, where my Philips hue and smart thermostat is plugged into. None of the switches are managed, the Vlan is on my router, I was thinking, but I could be wrong, that putting the TV and streaming stuff in the vlan will stop it flooding the network, or would that only work for internal streaming?

cheers peeps.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Dec-20 21:09:07
Print Post

Re: Vlan

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I wouldn't bother - have seen plenty of enterprise networks with office buildings on a single VLAN/subnet - approaching around 1000 devices. So unless you have a particular security concern/requirement, there's not really any need on a home network.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Thu 24-Dec-20 07:29:56
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

VLAN is really only advisable if you are running lots of cheap IOT things (light bulbs, switches etc), IP Cameras, Guest WiFi (often not needed as you usually can just block local traffic on the AP for the guest network), or for a complex home server setup.

Its really only IOT devices and IP Cameras that would affect most people, and you isolate them as they are security holes and VLAN's is the easiest way to do that.

In your instance don't bother, as Philips can be trusted.

Edited by dogcat (Thu 24-Dec-20 07:31:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 22:22:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I wouldn't bother - have seen plenty of enterprise networks with office buildings on a single VLAN/subnet - approaching around 1000 devices. So unless you have a particular security concern/requirement, there's not really any need on a home network.

Ok, i will not bother then, thanks.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 22:28:20
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dogcat:
VLAN is really only advisable if you are running lots of cheap IOT things (light bulbs, switches etc), IP Cameras, Guest WiFi (often not needed as you usually can just block local traffic on the AP for the guest network), or for a complex home server setup.

Its really only IOT devices and IP Cameras that would affect most people, and you isolate them as they are security holes and VLAN's is the easiest way to do that.

In your instance don't bother, as Philips can be trusted.

I don't just have phlips, I have smart devices that runs from different providers, like SONOFF and Smart life and blink for cameras, but yeah, I think I agree that it is not really worth the hassle.

thanks for the reply

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to