Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ngolian
(learned) Tue 02-Mar-21 14:45:14
Print Post

Relocating socket

[link to this post]

I think I'm going to have to give VM the boot. The only thing that's been stopping me is the hassle this will involve because of the location of my old, currently disused, BT master socket. The VM socket is in my lounge, which is ideal, because that's where I want my phone base station, and my Ethernet infrastructure is based around it. However, my BT socket is in the hall. Do any of the main telcos give you the option of installing a new socket where you want it? Do they charge extra?

If I have to DIY some cabling from the original master socket, would it be better to use a single extension and put the filter in the lounge, or have the filter in the master socket and two separate cables? My old master socket has a built-in ADSL filter installed by BT in the early 2000s back when the max speed was 512Kbps and you had to use a USB modem that looked like a frog. Are those old filters suitable for modern broadband speeds?
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 07:42:17
Print Post

Re: Relocating socket

[re: ngolian] [link to this post]

I think the new socket will depend on what the old BT service and the new (proposed) service were/are - I upgraded my (basically BT) service from adsl to vdsl, so the installer was all set to install a new socket and was happy to discuss location . I wanted a box on a different outside wall, so he obliged (this got it near enough to a power socket for the router/hub).
A lot depends on the installer, and how he feels on the day

Derek
Standard User DG834MAN
(member) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:59:31
Print Post

I swapped from adsl to vdsl a few months ago the installer only went to the cab and never visited the premises so still have a nte5( old style faceplate with the removable bottom part ).

For best performance its best to have the router at the master socket and run a ethernet and phone to your lounge( Not likely to see much difference ).

Really depends if they fit a new style faceplate they have internal filters so two cables are required, if you are left with the old style faceplate you can just run one unfiltered cable to your lounge and filter it there. if its only a few meters its unlikely to make much difference which way its done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ngolian
(learned) Wed 03-Mar-21 16:55:40
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

My latest call to VM customer service made up my mind, I'm definitely going to switch, probably to Zen. I can get "Superfast" FTTC, but not "Ultrafast" FTTP at my address. I think FTTC is VDSL2.

My existing socket looks like NTE5, but when the original ADSL was installed the bottom plate was replaced by a double socket which sticks out past the top section, and I think the data socket is RJ45 rather than RJ11.

Things are further complicated, because there's an even older disused BT line at this address. It has an older type of socket with BT's 1980s logo, but the service was in place long before that, and the wiring looks quite dodgy (outer insulation missing in some places), so I'll have to make sure they don't reactivate that one!
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Mar-21 22:38:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ngolian:
Things are further complicated, because there's an even older disused BT line at this address. It has an older type of socket with BT's 1980s logo, but the service was in place long before that, and the wiring looks quite dodgy (outer insulation missing in some places), so I'll have to make sure they don't reactivate that one!
If its not there they can't reactivate it wink
Standard User ngolian
(learned) Wed 03-Mar-21 23:26:58
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
If its not there they can't reactivate it wink

Ah, but what I'm worried about is that the other end is probably still in the cabinet, ready, or so they think, to be reactivated. I know they can do that without visiting the premises, because my sister switched from VM to plusnet a while back and they activated an existing BT socket without coming to the house. At first she and her husband thought it wasn't working, until it dawned on them they were still trying to use the VM socket smile.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Mar-21 09:40:22
Print Post

If there's no (master) socket on the end of the cable then it won't test out and they'll have to use the other pair or come and visit...

wink Comms is hard wink
  Print Thread

Jump to