Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User darren_mccoy
(learned) Fri 12-Mar-21 08:59:46
Print Post

D7000 VS EE Smart Home Router (white)

[link to this post]

I have been using a Netgear D7000 for this past six years or so and have been very happy with it. I recently upgraded to EE's full fibre 900mbs package and received their latest smart router, the white version.

My question is do I keep using the D7000 or change to the new smart router? Has technology moved on enough that the smart routeris as good or better than the D7000?

I'm thinking of changing because of a minor issue that has been happening recently. Sometimes I'll open ten tabs or so in my browser and they will not load anything. At the same time I have another window open playing Youtube. The Youtube video plays fine but none of the tabs in the other window will load.

I then tried a speed test and it tells me i'm not connected to the internet even though the Youtube video is playing and I can skip forward to a point that hasn't loaded and it's still fine. After about five minutes everything suddenly works normally again, opening tabs load instantly and speed test is showing close to 900mbs.

Even If my Playstation and Xbox were both doing updates there should still be plenty of bandwidth available for my computer.

Does anyone have some advice for me? I'm using a pretty recent iMac with a wired connection.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by darren_mccoy (Fri 12-Mar-21 13:14:46)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Mar-21 16:10:58
Print Post

Re: D7000 VS EE Smart Home Router (white)

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

No harm in trying it.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
(learned) Fri 12-Mar-21 16:35:46
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I'm going to try it now.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 12-Mar-21 21:22:38
Print Post

Sounds vaguely DNS related. Check with replacing router. If you can relocate with another laptop or device. Set your DNS in the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 rather then isp DNS servers.

My Broadband Speed Test
(learned) Fri 19-Mar-21 19:28:49
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

The download speed on Wifi is a lot less, so I'll stick to the D7000 until Wifi six comes down in price a good bit.

Standard User Hawthorns
(committed) Mon 12-Apr-21 16:17:45
Print Post

I have a D7000 and I'm beginning to think about a replacement for a few reasons:

1. The IPv6 support seems to be flaky. However, I don't need IPv6 so this alone isn't a reason to change.
2. Every couple of weeks, the router hangs and needs a power cycle. Could be a memory leak, could be aging hardware. This is becoming inconvenient.
3. I tried to use SMB support for some trivial file sharing. The D7000 only supports SMB version 2 which no self-respecting client will connect to. Again, not a show-stopper but signs of...
4. It's of an age where the firmware isn't getting updates. Lack of security updates is what is making me think seriousy about replacement.

BT FTTP
  Print Thread

Jump to