Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User herbgold
(member) Tue 23-Mar-21 10:12:59
Print Post

Re: What cable to home office at end of garden?

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The fibre optic solution is elegant and certainly worth bearing in mind but to me has the disadvantages of increased complexity, with two boxes needing power, which would mean extra powerpoints - which would need installing.

I think if we can get away with good quality cat X cable it would make our lives much simpler, so I'll try your simple solution to start with - and as you say, if it works OK, pay £40 or £50 and get some armoured cat6 waterproof cable. Thanks everybody for your help.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Mar-21 11:39:38
Print Post

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

Just try it with the cheapest piece or Cat5e you can find, or if you have long patch leads, use those!

Then you can decide and AMs link to power plus Cat5e might be an area to investigate as it will give you some power there too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Tue 23-Mar-21 11:42:42
Print Post

Makes a lot more sense, rather than media converters if you simply use (existing) switches in the main house and outhouse. Thereby saving you the added complexity - with an appropriate network switch the fibre SFP's simply plug into the SFP cages on the switch, much as per a copper port does. Such switches are fairly common and aren't terribly expensive either but they have the benefit of the flexibility in being able to connect copper and fibre natively. It would make sense if you need to connect more than one LAN device in the shed for example of connect a wifi access point there.

Good luck with the shed network in any event!

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User herbgold
(member) Tue 23-Mar-21 12:06:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I should have said - we do have power there. It was there when we moved in, there's an armoured power cable going diagonally across the garden. It was under grass but after my wife redesigned the garden it's now under a very nice stone path and flowerbed - and can't be disturbed.

(We have tried homeplugs to get a signal down there, but the distance seems to be too great for that to work reliably).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Mar-21 12:13:14
Print Post

In that case just CatX SWA - have a look at FS cables https://www.fscables.com/data/c-1.html?&o[]=4,209 they do external Cat5e and Cat6 SWA

M H C

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Tue 23-Mar-21 13:12:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by herbgold:
Hello,
we're looking to run cable from our understairs router in our terraced modernish house to a home office in a converted garage at the bottom of our 10 metre long garden. The total cable length would be aroiund 20 metres.

The complication is that the cable woulld have to run alongside our neighbour's electric cable, which supplies light and power to their shed. We are currently FTTC, with wired speeds in the house of around 74/20. We have tried wifi extenders to the home office, with very little success.

My question is, what sort of cable should we use - would shielded Cat 5 (Cat 5e?) cable provide enough isolation from the neighbour's cable, or should we think about fibre, with all the expense and complication that that would entail?

Have you thought about a wireless link?
I've used both the kits linked below the Ubiquiti kit is faster but not in stock and the TP-Link kit includes the mounting kit and POE injectors

Ubiquiti
TP-Link
Standard User dustmaker
(newbie) Tue 23-Mar-21 14:03:45
Print Post

Ideally you would not have it directly next to the power, but I can confirm that I have outdoor rated (unshielded) CAT6 cable buried for 55 meters right next to a three core 10mm SWA power cable and I have not had any major issues apart from very occasional packet loss, even when there is a 25 amp load on the power cable.

I buried both at the same time to my new home office last year, but didn't realise that you shouldn't until afterwards. If yours is only 20m I think you would be fine with some shielded cat6 cable right next to the power.
Standard User herbgold
(member) Tue 23-Mar-21 17:55:53
Print Post

[re: dustmaker] [link to this post]

Thank you, that's very helpful (and heartening!)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Mar-21 18:02:34
Print Post

[re: dustmaker] [link to this post]

One possible advantage or benefit of the power being in SWA is that it is effectively shielded. The steel armour is all round the cable and should be earthed at one (or both) ends.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to