Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 14:55:06
Print Post

Re: Running Internet to our Field Gym / Stables

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

I'd agree with the advice so far that if you are doing ducting work anyway and it is close to 100m then go for fibre.

However for the sake of completeness a microwave link would not need dishes at this distance and an example kit would be a NanoStation 5ac Loco pair.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User jpm
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 15:52:25
Print Post

Either a pre-terminated fibre cable, or the easy option which is a preconfigured pair of MikroTik Wireless Wire Cubes

https://www.msdist.co.uk/mikrotik/wireless/wireless-...
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 16:18:55
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
I'd agree with the advice so far that if you are doing ducting work anyway and it is close to 100m then go for fibre.

However for the sake of completeness a microwave link would not need dishes at this distance and an example kit would be a NanoStation 5ac Loco pair.
My caution with this would be that 5GHz is prone to DFS issues. I've experienced this exact issue in deepest rural Worcestershire. It's not legal to use 5GHz outdoors in the UK without DFS.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 16:21:29
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

For the benefit of the OP if there is any leaning toward fibre - opt to install single-mode fibre rather than multimode.

SM fibre is the default (sole?) choice for outside plant/ external use, it's cheaper per metre, has far higher bandwidth and a variety of "non-data" services can run over it side by side (or even the same glass core in a pinch). The difference in actives costs really is negligible. 10Gb SFP+ plugables are around £20

We use building to building fibre links to run a 10G ethernet backbone but also run a Fibre IRS system for TV and radio distribution; that is a single Sky/Freesat dish, TV/FM antenna running into a FIRS headend unit and then use the fibre to deliver the service in a PON arrangement - delivers loss-free, crisp clean Sat/FreeView/FM anywhere.

I really wouldn't advocate copper at this length.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 23:04:07
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks all for your help - It is most appreciated!

So i've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fibre option, as hopefully when we get upgraded to FTTP, this will just make that connection ever so sweeter in the Stables!

I've sourced the Media Converters from Pheasants post in the other thread - Has anyone any idea of where i could source a cheap real of 100m fibre, and do i need to have any other tech to connect the fibre to the media converters?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 11-Apr-21 09:32:18
Print Post

Fibre Store (fs.com) are a good supplier. A lot of their gear comes from their warehouse in Germany. They are a massive company. Well regarded.

If you are ducting the fibre you could look at something like this. This would be my economy choice:
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/29584.html

Alternatively an armoured cable such as this provides more protection and could be buried directly, although personally I’d only bury SWA type cable. But this is a good universal choice:
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/70220.html

I have also used Paragon Networks and their cabling is indeed excellent quality too, all British manufactured too. But dearer than fibre store. This is their pre-term steel wire armoured (SWA) suitable for direct burial. This would be my Rolls Royce choice:
https://www.paragonnetworks.co.uk/shop/view/steel-wi...

Definitely only consider single mode, either OS2 or G657.A2 grade fibre. I would choose an absolute minimum of 2 cores, but for a little extra get 4 cores for flexibility. Allow some extra over on the lengths, it’s easy enough to coil up the excess. Consider what connectors. LC type is universal for SFP or SFP+ pluggables that go into switches etc.

I’ll expand a bit more on choice of network devices etc, later when I have a moment.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 11-Apr-21 13:30:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:

So i've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fibre option, as hopefully when we get upgraded to FTTP, this will just make that connection ever so sweeter in the Stables!

I've sourced the Media Converters from Pheasants post in the other thread - Has anyone any idea of where i could source a cheap real of 100m fibre, and do i need to have any other tech to connect the fibre to the media converters?

See post above for some thought on physical fibre cables...

In respect of network equipment - can you share what you have presently in terms of network gear, the rough layout and what you expect will be connected in the stables / gym etc. Need PoE or management of VLANs etc? Think future sensible expansion or capability thereof, not just today.

The reason I ask is it may be more sensible (from a cost and box proliferation perspective) to buy a small switch(es) with built-in fibre cage (either SFP or SFP+) rather than sticking in media converters. You then plug in the SFP/+ module into the cage to suit your fibre and hey presto.

However if you already have decent switches then it might be better to go the media converter route.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Sun 11-Apr-21 23:13:57
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by Whitehall11:

See post above for some thought on physical fibre cables...

In respect of network equipment - can you share what you have presently in terms of network gear, the rough layout and what you expect will be connected in the stables / gym etc. Need PoE or management of VLANs etc? Think future sensible expansion or capability thereof, not just today.

The reason I ask is it may be more sensible (from a cost and box proliferation perspective) to buy a small switch(es) with built-in fibre cage (either SFP or SFP+) rather than sticking in media converters. You then plug in the SFP/+ module into the cage to suit your fibre and hey presto.

However if you already have decent switches then it might be better to go the media converter route.

At present the Home Networking setup is very basic, it is simply a TalkTalk WIFI Hub with a number of powerline extenders!

Essentially, i was expecting to run the fibre from the Talktalk wifi hub to a media converter, run the fibre cable to a media converter in the Stable and connect that to a basic Huawei Router i've had kicking around!

I'm tempted to get a small netgear switch so i can plug in various Fire TV's and a PoE CCTV Camera System
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 12-Apr-21 07:13:34
Print Post

“ I'm tempted to get a small netgear switch so i can plug in various Fire TV's and a PoE CCTV Camera System”

In that case a little Netgear GS110TPv3 has 8 gigabit PoE+ ports and 2 SFP cages. So you can connect the fibre directly to it (need to get an SFP pluggable). They are around £100 each (example at a broadband buyer).

Rather than using media converter, this is a slightly more elegant solution if you need PoE and then you have a gigabit link back to the house. They’re a very good unit, have used them in the past successfully.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Mon 12-Apr-21 09:47:32
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:

I can second these, I've installed them for a few customers longest distance is 500m and that still gets the full 450Mbps
If I Remember correctly you can buy a pre configured pair from broadband buyer

Thanks Dan
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to