Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 10:04:03
Print Post

Re: Running Internet to our Field Gym / Stables

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I bought a load of fibre leads from them in January. Perhaps because it was fibre rather than actives, I received a trove of import paperwork in the post sometime later from the couriers but it was all zero rated and nil charge.

I must admit I haven’t bought actives from them since the 31/12 deadline, so that may be different.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 16:58:52
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
The only minor concern is sharing the ducting with the electricity. You wouldn't want the situation where someone chops through and somehow it makes the ethernet cable live, hopefully someone on here can answer that for you, but if it was me I would be tempted to run it separate.

And there was me thinking that Ethernet had isolation transformers on all ports (Ok SFP/SFP+/QSFP28 and QSFP28+ excepted but not remotely relevant here) for this very reason that is embedded into the standard. You could switch to SWA Cat6a if you want extra protection.

TL;DR if your ethernet device get's fried because mains was applied to it then it is a defective design and you have a right to all your money back smile
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:04:03
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

If you are just looking at getting WiFi in an out building then the trick to avoid the problems of copper wires between buildings is to power the WiFi access point using PoE from the main building and you sidestep those issues. If you are really paranoid use SWA cable and earth the SWA in the main building to avoid static charge buildup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 21:51:51
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
The only minor concern is sharing the ducting with the electricity. You wouldn't want the situation where someone chops through and somehow it makes the ethernet cable live, hopefully someone on here can answer that for you, but if it was me I would be tempted to run it separate.

And there was me thinking that Ethernet had isolation transformers on all ports (Ok SFP/SFP+/QSFP28 and QSFP28+ excepted but not remotely relevant here) for this very reason that is embedded into the standard. You could switch to SWA Cat6a if you want extra protection.

TL;DR if your ethernet device get's fried because mains was applied to it then it is a defective design and you have a right to all your money back smile

Had a lightning surge in summer 2019 that blew apart the (earthed) Ubiquiti surge arrestors on several external UTP links, took out network switches, actually spot welded two together. Nuked or severely damaged various things all via their data ports. Even the fibre ONT didn't escape unscathed.

I was always schooled against running copper data cabling between buildings, but it was a case lesson in how destructive nature can be. We lost thousands of pounds in gear that day.

Log tendrils of either power or data cabling externally are like antenna, that come alive in an equipotential. disaster.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 23:46:58
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by jabuzzard:

Had a lightning surge in summer 2019 that blew apart the (earthed) Ubiquiti surge arrestors on several external UTP links, took out network switches, actually spot welded two together. Nuked or severely damaged various things all via their data ports. Even the fibre ONT didn't escape unscathed.

I was always schooled against running copper data cabling between buildings, but it was a case lesson in how destructive nature can be. We lost thousands of pounds in gear that day.

Log tendrils of either power or data cabling externally are like antenna, that come alive in an equipotential. disaster.

Quite surprised by jabuzzard's reply there, the even more serious danger is when it makes a patch panel and/or chassis live, and I'm sure we've seen a few cabinets where the earthing straps were not attached to both door and frame until someone nagged to do so.

In any case with the 100m distance I think we already established not worth a new install close to the copper spec limit compared with fibre.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Thu 15-Apr-21 09:00:08
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Indeed, yes Ethernet ports have isolation transformers. But that doesn't stop the Ethernet cable itself becoming live in the imagined situation.
Standard User paving363
(newbie) Thu 15-Apr-21 09:16:13
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I was helped out recently on this forum with something related. I had a 100m run from house to home office - buried SWA Cate5e cable was suffering quite bad speed loss on a 300/50 FTTP connection. It transpired that I had a faulty switch that was restricting down from 1000mbps to 100. When that was bypassed the speeds were then as good as if I was directly connected to the router in the house. You just need to make sure you have gigabit switches (that work!) throughout. The cable wasn't cheap (c £1.60 per metre from memory) but I was able to direclty bury it with water and electric and all works well.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to