Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Fri 09-Apr-21 23:26:21
Print Post

Running Internet to our Field Gym / Stables

[link to this post]

Hey All,

A couple years ago we rebuilt two field shelters at our home, in the field adjacent to our house. One is a stables containing field and gardeing equipment and the other is a gym!

The time has come for me to add internet to both buildings as the gym has become more of an office with a part time gym over lockdown and it would be nice for the summer as well, to have WIFI outdoors!

How would you all suggest i run the internet out here? At the moment we have a 90m extension lead running from a 12A Hotwire of our patio fountain, which has a powerline adaptor to our 80/20 FTTC Connection (Getting a solid 3mps down at the best as you would expect haha)

I've considered running a 100m ethernet cable in the ducting of our new power install in a few weeks, but was maybe considering a P2P Microwave link? Any advice would be appreciated.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 00:15:33
Print Post

Re: Running Internet to our Field Gym / Stables

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

If it is less than 100m then Cat6 through ducting would be very reasonable, and provide 1Gbps which would be ample for at least 5 years. You could do it yourself and since the cable comes in 300m reels you could double up the cable just in the off chance one was to get chopped through with a shovel or similiar.

The only minor concern is sharing the ducting with the electricity. You wouldn't want the situation where someone chops through and somehow it makes the ethernet cable live, hopefully someone on here can answer that for you, but if it was me I would be tempted to run it separate.

Because it is going to be outside so will be exposed to elements and is getting right at the end of the limit, Cat6 is the one to go for.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User amiga_dude
(learned) Sat 10-Apr-21 08:46:52
Print Post

The other option is Fibre. Yes CAT5/CAT6 should be able to do it at 100 meters without an issue. It at the point where fibre could start to become a more sensible option.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 08:58:29
Print Post

Personally I’m not a great fan of running copper between buildings. Had one too many bad experiences with strike and surge!

A similar question was asked last week in this office at the end of the garden thread. Some options for fibre discussed. Certainly not as extreme as many folks assume. Future bandwidth upgrades assured. Electrically isolated.

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 09:42:01
Print Post

Thanks all for your replies!

I think the ethernet option is a good start - it will be armoured cable on the electricity side, so i will do some digging on how much it could affect the ethernet / Pheasants concern of a lightning strike.
Maybe we could earth it when it reaches the termination point?

I did find a 1GB P2P Microwave Link which would be perfect for when our house finally gets FTTP (if that day ever comes), but its a tad pricey and having another dish on the side of the house may not be great.

I'll look into the fibre solution - Does it need any special kit to convert it?
EDIT: Pheasant, just seen your comphrensive list on that other post, Cheers

Edited by Whitehall11 (Sat 10-Apr-21 09:50:27)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Apr-21 09:42:58
Print Post

Is your poer install using buried SWA?

If so, then consider put two lots of SWA Cat6 in the ground too, However, at 100m you may be at the limit so, is there a location somehwere around half way where you could install a POE Ethernet extender? Bring Cat6 to the surface and into a suitable IP67 enclosure, fit a suitable extender powered from one end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 09:49:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Is your poer install using buried SWA?

If so, then consider put two lots of SWA Cat6 in the ground too, However, at 100m you may be at the limit so, is there a location somehwere around half way where you could install a POE Ethernet extender? Bring Cat6 to the surface and into a suitable IP67 enclosure, fit a suitable extender powered from one end.

Looking at the power install quote from the electrician it's '16mm 3core SWA' so it looks like we could bury some CAT6.

The ducting i've bought for it is quite big so plenty of space for even a network switch if you held it upside down! Are they expensive extenders?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Apr-21 12:58:47
Print Post

Have a look for POE Extenders ... not too expensive, but only issue would be access in case of failure hence the suggestion of bringing it to the surface.

Although, if you are prepared to spend a little more, then fibre might be the solution - you can get SWA fibre, preterminated in many variants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Sat 10-Apr-21 14:31:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Although, if you are prepared to spend a little more, then fibre might be the solution - you can get SWA fibre, preterminated in many variants.

Fibre might be cheaper at this distance. The cable itself is likely cheaper, won't need earthing at both ends, won't need a possible extender. Really at >50m just go fibre its lot less hassle, safer and could well be cheaper even when you factor in the costs of SFP / SFP+ switches.

Edited by dogcat (Sat 10-Apr-21 14:33:10)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 14:40:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
Thanks all for your replies!

I think the ethernet option is a good start - it will be armoured cable on the electricity side, so i will do some digging on how much it could affect the ethernet / Pheasants concern of a lightning strike.
Maybe we could earth it when it reaches the termination point?
Use a gigabit ethernet surge protector at each end of the link with each locally earthed. Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 surge protectors cost next to nothing. For a bit more information about surge protection the BEAMA Guide to Surge Protection Devices(SPDs): selection, application and theory (PDF) is a good start.

To be honest though, at 90m I'd go with fibre optic - particularly as it eliminates any risk running it in the same ducting as the power source.

There really seems no point trying to get a wireless link running if you have any possibility of using ethernet or fibre.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 14:55:06
Print Post

I'd agree with the advice so far that if you are doing ducting work anyway and it is close to 100m then go for fibre.

However for the sake of completeness a microwave link would not need dishes at this distance and an example kit would be a NanoStation 5ac Loco pair.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User jpm
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 15:52:25
Print Post

Either a pre-terminated fibre cable, or the easy option which is a preconfigured pair of MikroTik Wireless Wire Cubes

https://www.msdist.co.uk/mikrotik/wireless/wireless-...
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 16:18:55
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
I'd agree with the advice so far that if you are doing ducting work anyway and it is close to 100m then go for fibre.

However for the sake of completeness a microwave link would not need dishes at this distance and an example kit would be a NanoStation 5ac Loco pair.
My caution with this would be that 5GHz is prone to DFS issues. I've experienced this exact issue in deepest rural Worcestershire. It's not legal to use 5GHz outdoors in the UK without DFS.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 16:21:29
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

For the benefit of the OP if there is any leaning toward fibre - opt to install single-mode fibre rather than multimode.

SM fibre is the default (sole?) choice for outside plant/ external use, it's cheaper per metre, has far higher bandwidth and a variety of "non-data" services can run over it side by side (or even the same glass core in a pinch). The difference in actives costs really is negligible. 10Gb SFP+ plugables are around £20

We use building to building fibre links to run a 10G ethernet backbone but also run a Fibre IRS system for TV and radio distribution; that is a single Sky/Freesat dish, TV/FM antenna running into a FIRS headend unit and then use the fibre to deliver the service in a PON arrangement - delivers loss-free, crisp clean Sat/FreeView/FM anywhere.

I really wouldn't advocate copper at this length.

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 23:04:07
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks all for your help - It is most appreciated!

So i've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fibre option, as hopefully when we get upgraded to FTTP, this will just make that connection ever so sweeter in the Stables!

I've sourced the Media Converters from Pheasants post in the other thread - Has anyone any idea of where i could source a cheap real of 100m fibre, and do i need to have any other tech to connect the fibre to the media converters?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 11-Apr-21 09:32:18
Print Post

Fibre Store (fs.com) are a good supplier. A lot of their gear comes from their warehouse in Germany. They are a massive company. Well regarded.

If you are ducting the fibre you could look at something like this. This would be my economy choice:
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/29584.html

Alternatively an armoured cable such as this provides more protection and could be buried directly, although personally I’d only bury SWA type cable. But this is a good universal choice:
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/70220.html

I have also used Paragon Networks and their cabling is indeed excellent quality too, all British manufactured too. But dearer than fibre store. This is their pre-term steel wire armoured (SWA) suitable for direct burial. This would be my Rolls Royce choice:
https://www.paragonnetworks.co.uk/shop/view/steel-wi...

Definitely only consider single mode, either OS2 or G657.A2 grade fibre. I would choose an absolute minimum of 2 cores, but for a little extra get 4 cores for flexibility. Allow some extra over on the lengths, it’s easy enough to coil up the excess. Consider what connectors. LC type is universal for SFP or SFP+ pluggables that go into switches etc.

I’ll expand a bit more on choice of network devices etc, later when I have a moment.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 11-Apr-21 13:30:43
Print Post

So i've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fibre option, as hopefully when we get upgraded to FTTP, this will just make that connection ever so sweeter in the Stables!

I've sourced the Media Converters from Pheasants post in the other thread - Has anyone any idea of where i could source a cheap real of 100m fibre, and do i need to have any other tech to connect the fibre to the media converters?

See post above for some thought on physical fibre cables...

In respect of network equipment - can you share what you have presently in terms of network gear, the rough layout and what you expect will be connected in the stables / gym etc. Need PoE or management of VLANs etc? Think future sensible expansion or capability thereof, not just today.

The reason I ask is it may be more sensible (from a cost and box proliferation perspective) to buy a small switch(es) with built-in fibre cage (either SFP or SFP+) rather than sticking in media converters. You then plug in the SFP/+ module into the cage to suit your fibre and hey presto.

However if you already have decent switches then it might be better to go the media converter route.

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Sun 11-Apr-21 23:13:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

See post above for some thought on physical fibre cables...

In respect of network equipment - can you share what you have presently in terms of network gear, the rough layout and what you expect will be connected in the stables / gym etc. Need PoE or management of VLANs etc? Think future sensible expansion or capability thereof, not just today.

The reason I ask is it may be more sensible (from a cost and box proliferation perspective) to buy a small switch(es) with built-in fibre cage (either SFP or SFP+) rather than sticking in media converters. You then plug in the SFP/+ module into the cage to suit your fibre and hey presto.

However if you already have decent switches then it might be better to go the media converter route.

At present the Home Networking setup is very basic, it is simply a TalkTalk WIFI Hub with a number of powerline extenders!

Essentially, i was expecting to run the fibre from the Talktalk wifi hub to a media converter, run the fibre cable to a media converter in the Stable and connect that to a basic Huawei Router i've had kicking around!

I'm tempted to get a small netgear switch so i can plug in various Fire TV's and a PoE CCTV Camera System
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 12-Apr-21 07:13:34
Print Post

“ I'm tempted to get a small netgear switch so i can plug in various Fire TV's and a PoE CCTV Camera System”

In that case a little Netgear GS110TPv3 has 8 gigabit PoE+ ports and 2 SFP cages. So you can connect the fibre directly to it (need to get an SFP pluggable). They are around £100 each (example at a broadband buyer).

Rather than using media converter, this is a slightly more elegant solution if you need PoE and then you have a gigabit link back to the house. They’re a very good unit, have used them in the past successfully.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Mon 12-Apr-21 09:47:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by prlzx:

I can second these, I've installed them for a few customers longest distance is 500m and that still gets the full 450Mbps
If I Remember correctly you can buy a pre configured pair from broadband buyer

Thanks Dan
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 12-Apr-21 09:59:41
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

At this distance it's either Fibre or 60GHz Wireless.

Do not waste your time with 5GHz are this range. it'll work but will be higher latency (around 10ms) and have DFS issues to worry about

Don't get me wrong, 5GHz is OK but at this distance you can comfortably go for 60GHz which delivers true gigabit throughput with next to 0 latency and no interference to ever worry about.

Stick in a pair of these pointing at each other and you're done - no setup required
https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-wireless-wire-cu...
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 12-Apr-21 12:18:44
Print Post

If you're starting with a blank sheet, here is another way to cut it. New router in the house, fibre link and 8-port PoE enable switch in the gym stables. All using Ubiquiti gear:

House @ ONT Location, New Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/31470-ubiqui...
£162 inc VAT

Add a matched pair of these SFP modules for the fibre, one installed at either end of the fibre link:
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/27517-ubiqui...
£24.53

At the Gym/Stables, 8-port PoE+/Passive PoE switch with SFP ports
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/25470-ubiqui...
£177.91

That gives you a bang up to date new router for new fibre service, all the devices to enable the fibre link (and only one core of fibre needed with those BiDi optics SFP matched pair)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 12-Apr-21 12:30:12
Print Post

While we are at it, here's another option for doing the physical fibre link:

150m reel of light armoured pre-termintaed single-mode G657.A4 fibre from GI. This uses FC/UPC connectors at either end.
https://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/f70033...
£80.34 for 150m
£57.90 for 100m spool

FC-FC bulkheaded adapter, either drill this and screw this through single-gang faceplate or just use direct to link the FC ends of the fibre above to the FC patch lead going into the switch/router at the end of the link:
https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/ultima-fc-fib...
£4.03

FC-to-LC duplex patch lead. If you end ups using the Bi-Di SFP modules above, then only a single fibre core for the link is need (as 2 wavelengths are used to Tx and Rx), So buy one duplex lead and take the duplex coupler off to make to two simplex FC-to-LC leads , one for each end of the link.
https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/ultima-os2-fc...
£5.18

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Mon 12-Apr-21 14:55:46
Print Post

What sort of size hole do you need to drill to get one of these pre-terminated fibre links though ?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 12-Apr-21 15:13:28
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Depends what pre-term cable and connectors we’re taking about.

The single FC-ended GI cables above will easily pass through 10mm opening. The FC connector is around 7-8mm from memory. I can have a good look later.

The higher fibre count pre-term cables like the ones from Paragon typically have something like a 18mm threaded gland fitting on the end. They screw a transparent tube ‘pulling eye’ around the gland which can be used to pull the lot through an opening. They are usually around 25mm in diameter to account for the bundle of connectors inside.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Mon 12-Apr-21 17:29:42
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by connormill:
At this distance it's either Fibre or 60GHz Wireless.

Do not waste your time with 5GHz are this range. it'll work but will be higher latency (around 10ms) and have DFS issues to worry about

Don't get me wrong, 5GHz is OK but at this distance you can comfortably go for 60GHz which delivers true gigabit throughput with next to 0 latency and no interference to ever worry about.

Stick in a pair of these pointing at each other and you're done - no setup required
https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-wireless-wire-cu...

I'm not going to argue that fibre isn't the best but I've just ran a ping test across one of the 5GHz Ubquiti I have installed.
The distance between the two stations is roughly 125 metres and the ping response time is 1ms

Thanks
Dan
(regular) Tue 13-Apr-21 18:26:35
Print Post

So i've bitten the bullet, and this is what is in my basket so far - Before i click buy, is this all i will need to connect from the House WIFI Router to my NetGear Switch (bar some Ethernet cable at both ends):

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/70220.html?attribute=... FIBRE CABLE (100M)

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/101474.html?attribute... - MEDIA CONVERTERS (X2)

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/75327.html?attribute=... - SFP Modules (X2)

We're so months away from FTTP but when we do get it i will upgrade to new router at the ONT when it's installed.

Edited by Whitehall11 (Tue 13-Apr-21 18:27:42)

Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 13-Apr-21 19:28:51
Print Post

Be aware that you could possibly get hit with import taxes and admin fees added by the shipping company when using FS
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Tue 13-Apr-21 20:31:41
Print Post

Looks good to me!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 13-Apr-21 23:07:21
Print Post

Re: Running Internet to our Field Gym / Stables *DELETED*

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MHC
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 10:04:03
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I bought a load of fibre leads from them in January. Perhaps because it was fibre rather than actives, I received a trove of import paperwork in the post sometime later from the couriers but it was all zero rated and nil charge.

I must admit I haven’t bought actives from them since the 31/12 deadline, so that may be different.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 16:58:52
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
The only minor concern is sharing the ducting with the electricity. You wouldn't want the situation where someone chops through and somehow it makes the ethernet cable live, hopefully someone on here can answer that for you, but if it was me I would be tempted to run it separate.

And there was me thinking that Ethernet had isolation transformers on all ports (Ok SFP/SFP+/QSFP28 and QSFP28+ excepted but not remotely relevant here) for this very reason that is embedded into the standard. You could switch to SWA Cat6a if you want extra protection.

TL;DR if your ethernet device get's fried because mains was applied to it then it is a defective design and you have a right to all your money back smile
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:04:03
Print Post

If you are just looking at getting WiFi in an out building then the trick to avoid the problems of copper wires between buildings is to power the WiFi access point using PoE from the main building and you sidestep those issues. If you are really paranoid use SWA cable and earth the SWA in the main building to avoid static charge buildup.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 21:51:51
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:

And there was me thinking that Ethernet had isolation transformers on all ports (Ok SFP/SFP+/QSFP28 and QSFP28+ excepted but not remotely relevant here) for this very reason that is embedded into the standard. You could switch to SWA Cat6a if you want extra protection.

TL;DR if your ethernet device get's fried because mains was applied to it then it is a defective design and you have a right to all your money back smile

Had a lightning surge in summer 2019 that blew apart the (earthed) Ubiquiti surge arrestors on several external UTP links, took out network switches, actually spot welded two together. Nuked or severely damaged various things all via their data ports. Even the fibre ONT didn't escape unscathed.

I was always schooled against running copper data cabling between buildings, but it was a case lesson in how destructive nature can be. We lost thousands of pounds in gear that day.

Log tendrils of either power or data cabling externally are like antenna, that come alive in an equipotential. disaster.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 23:46:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by jabuzzard:

Had a lightning surge in summer 2019 that blew apart the (earthed) Ubiquiti surge arrestors on several external UTP links, took out network switches, actually spot welded two together. Nuked or severely damaged various things all via their data ports. Even the fibre ONT didn't escape unscathed.

I was always schooled against running copper data cabling between buildings, but it was a case lesson in how destructive nature can be. We lost thousands of pounds in gear that day.

Log tendrils of either power or data cabling externally are like antenna, that come alive in an equipotential. disaster.

Quite surprised by jabuzzard's reply there, the even more serious danger is when it makes a patch panel and/or chassis live, and I'm sure we've seen a few cabinets where the earthing straps were not attached to both door and frame until someone nagged to do so.

In any case with the 100m distance I think we already established not worth a new install close to the copper spec limit compared with fibre.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Thu 15-Apr-21 09:00:08
Print Post

Indeed, yes Ethernet ports have isolation transformers. But that doesn't stop the Ethernet cable itself becoming live in the imagined situation.
Standard User paving363
(newbie) Thu 15-Apr-21 09:16:13
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

I was helped out recently on this forum with something related. I had a 100m run from house to home office - buried SWA Cate5e cable was suffering quite bad speed loss on a 300/50 FTTP connection. It transpired that I had a faulty switch that was restricting down from 1000mbps to 100. When that was bypassed the speeds were then as good as if I was directly connected to the router in the house. You just need to make sure you have gigabit switches (that work!) throughout. The cable wasn't cheap (c £1.60 per metre from memory) but I was able to direclty bury it with water and electric and all works well.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to