General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 09-Jan-13 17:31:25
Print Post

Re: GigaClear could they compete with BT Fibre on Demand?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

One advantage of Gigaclear is that they don't have a large upfront cost - unlike BT. So if they fail to provide a good service you can escape without incurring a large penalty. I just hope that they would be able to provide a fault repair service similar to what BT offers for residential customers. Avoiding Indian call centres would be good though!

Michael Chare
Standard User pjaj
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 01:17:25
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The cost of Gigaclear is, I agree, £37 per month, but you can switch to a VoIP provider for telephone and ditch all BT services entirely.
In Appleton my quarterly BT bill was around £120 = £40 per month. This included the cheapest broadband package, "friends and family" and the "anytime" telephone call packages. I calculated that this was the cheapest set of options for my particular usage.
The broadband rarely got above 1.5Mb download and 300Kb upload, capped at 10Gb/month and the telephone line was noisy.
With Gigaclear and Vonage I pay about £44 per month (£37 + £6 Vonage + £1 for extra calls to mobile, 084 etc numbers)
All land line calls are crystal clear and UK geographic number are free.
Broadband measures above 900Mb symmetrical just about any time of the day or night. There is no data cap of any kind, only a fair usage policy that frowns upon things like spam generation and other questionable practices.
OK 10% dearer for me but many, many times better than BT's offering.
One of my neighbours has halved his costs by switching - his usage was different.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:01:04
Print Post

[re: pjaj] [link to this post]

Thanks for your post. I have now placed an order, but so far, for the Underriver project, only ~40% of the target have signed up. - Unlike Otmoor which is at more like 80%. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the Underriver project will go ahead.

I suspect that many to not appreciate that they can save on the cost of a copper landline
by using VOIP. (based on conversation with neighbour!)

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to