General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:20:29
Print Post

Re: Long line (10.32km)

[re: newwave19] [link to this post]

if it doesn't work see if the engineer can get a sync up the pole before the underground - a damaged cable or incorrect wiring could be the difference.

ADSL is barely going to work at 8km in most cases, if you have very low noise levels by being out in the sticks and possibly heavier gauge cable on account of line length it can compensate a bit, but in general a 60 dB attenuation might get you around 2M and a 75 dB attenuation less than 1M and the difference is about 1 km.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:28:54
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Have checked the postcode and DETI knows the postcode as a slow spot using http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/ni/checker.php

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5452-northern-ire...
This should hopefully mean changes are underway, but with a 2015 deadline, you may have some waiting to do.

Current state of play
http://www.detini.gov.uk/deti-telecoms-index/deti-te...

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 12-Apr-13 11:30:14)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 12:02:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The joy of Rural NI broadband! We always hear about the best broadband in the UK but it doesnt seem to get too far out of the town. My line is around 10km long from the exchange and 6km from the cabinet. I'm currently getting around 0.5-0.8mb with Talktalk on ADSL2 with a Netgear DG834g v3 which is double any of my other routers. Took a while but the line is pretty stable.
Have you had a look at North West Electronics wimax? I think they were supposed to expand to your area although they were supposed to be doing mine too with DETI money and nothing ever materialised. You seem to be stuck in the middle of three exchanges, do you know which one youre on? Doesn't seem too far to Markethill. Although Infinity isn't available you might be able to get the 5mb and up broadband with fibre from BT and Plusnet.

I'm patiently waiting to see the result of the DETI upto 2mb report and last resort is pricing up Fibre on Demand. Feeling your pain!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 12:17:49
Print Post

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

As in http://www.nwewn.com/coverage_maps.php

Seems coverage does not go that far into the south east corner

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 12:51:22
Print Post

You could negotiate with BT for the extra pole and overhead wiring - but you will end up with bill for the work. A pole itself can cost £500 plus installation costs.

One solution might be to negotiate with the neighbours who get 4Mb - possibly piggy back on their connection, or have a new line run in to their house which you/your parents pay for. Then, find an appropriate directional Tx/Rx pair from Ubiquiti www.ubnt.com and install that as a wireless link. I believe that it is possible to directly connect the router to the Tx/Rx through Ethernet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 13:45:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As in http://www.nwewn.com/coverage_maps.php

Seems coverage does not go that far into the south east corner

Yes that map hasn't been updated in a while and there's another map under the DETI link which shows more coverage across the SE. My only concern is that the sales end seems a bit wishy washy on coverage and expects you to apply before they'll come out and see if you are covered, and this may be 12 weeks.
Standard User newwave19
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 23:16:06
Print Post

I haven't spoken to the people getting almost 4mb myself, but i'm going by this site... http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetsta...

The map shows exactly where my parents live, and if you scroll to the right there'll be a house stating 3.8mb, that's the 2nd last house on that part of the line, but the line that comes to us takes a complete detour, and goes along the damoily road then splits at the crossroads with part of it going back towards that house as far as the seaboughan road.

I used to have a map with the whole route done in detail, but I think I've binned it.

BT were to ring today (after giving me a particular timeslot which suited with work, and were late as usual. Hopefully going to get to the house 300m away tomorrow and check the speed.
Standard User OldChapXS
(newbie) Sat 13-Apr-13 00:46:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The down side of any point to point link is the need for line of sight with most of the cheaper products ubiquiti sell. That said a range of 50KM is nothing to be sniffed at.

Of course you also need someone at the other end willing to share their connection or install one for you
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Apr-13 01:08:04
Print Post

Re: Long line (10.32km) *DELETED*

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 11:42:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by newwave19:
and if you scroll to the right there'll be a house stating 3.8mb, that's the 2nd last house on that part of the line,

Just a cautionary reminder...

The uswitch mapping site shows the result of speedtests taken, but it locates them at the property closest to the centre of the postcode's area - not at the property that actually took the test.

The difference can be tiny in cities, where a postcode might be half a (small) street, but in rural areas it can be more significantly wrong.

If you put the address into the Royal Mail postcode finder, without the house number/name, it will report many properties, and may give you an idea of how extensive the area really is.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to