General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Aug-13 23:15:33
Print Post

Re: Another Cwmbran Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by btbert:
"This seems to be confirming the rumour that cabinets will be only activated if they are commercially viable"

I think BT OR do like to make some money back on them !

Yes this is the case. I know I am not in Cwmbran but I am in Newport and all cabs around me apart from mine are ready to go when FTTC goes live 6th September. Mine is unlikely to be done even though it was put in after the others due to demand!

There are 271 propertys connected and activated on the cab and a NGA is 288 - but BT don't think it's viable. I guess financially It's probably :/
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Aug-13 23:17:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cabinets enabled under the BDUK projects (and some of the new cabinets in Wales may still be part of the commercial roll-out remember) are done on a gap funding basis and the budgets are fixed, so it makes sense for the roll-out to be doing the ones which are closer to being economically viable.

With the clawback mechanism if these early cabinets reach commercial take-up levels, BT may have to give some money back. Which could then be recycled to do those harder to reach cabinets that they thought were not viable originally.

it is a very moveable feast, in part because you don't know all the costs for an individual cabinet, e.g. power until you do all the paperwork and power company reply. Then you get cases where people object to location, and it has to be moved, or fingers crossed this is caught in planning stage when its just a day or so of paperwork wasted.

The cab supply fitting and manpower is 33K I can tell you that. Because BT have told me outright as I have highlighted elsewhere before.
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 22:33:40
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Still no upgrades via the superfast cymru scheme in cwmbran yet has any one seen any work going on in cwmbran I was told 6 months ago by some one senior in the superfast cymru scheme that my area Llanyravon and all the other areas of cwmbran that have not been upgraded via bt's commercial roll out would be upgraded and we would have the option of both fttc and ftth in around 12 months time max so that is only 6 months to go,

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cabinets enabled under the BDUK projects (and some of the new cabinets in Wales may still be part of the commercial roll-out remember) are done on a gap funding basis and the budgets are fixed, so it makes sense for the roll-out to be doing the ones which are closer to being economically viable.

With the clawback mechanism if these early cabinets reach commercial take-up levels, BT may have to give some money back. Which could then be recycled to do those harder to reach cabinets that they thought were not viable originally.

it is a very moveable feast, in part because you don't know all the costs for an individual cabinet, e.g. power until you do all the paperwork and power company reply. Then you get cases where people object to location, and it has to be moved, or fingers crossed this is caught in planning stage when its just a day or so of paperwork wasted.

The cab supply fitting and manpower is 33K I can tell you that. Because BT have told me outright as I have highlighted elsewhere before.

Edited by LA7 (Mon 02-Sep-13 22:34:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:11:37
Print Post

There are 271 propertys connected and activated on the cab and a NGA is 288 - but BT don't think it's viable. I guess financially It's probably :/

There are 96, 128 and 256 line varieties too, not just 288.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:23:45
Print Post

Is this the everything all in costs or just the cost of standing the cabinet?

I ask as given there are 4 different types of cabinets of varying sizes and costs, and a pretty much limitless number of permutations as far as the costs of standing them and connecting them to power, fibre and copper go I struggle to see a single figure being given.

I've had contacts with about as high as you can go in Openreach and BT and no-one has given me a specific per-cabinet cost only a gap funding figure. Such specific numbers haven't been provided to local councillors or council, MP, or even BDUK and DCMS. I'm not sure why Openreach would give this information to your good self given they don't give it to the government.

There's no single cost due to variance between individual cabinets but average costs across both the commercial rollout and gap funded intervention rollouts don't point to 33k being correct.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 02-Sep-13 23:26:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to