General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sat 28-Sep-13 12:11:59
Print Post

Noise on the line

[link to this post]

when i resync the router on the line i can hear the router sync and once gained sync creates a hiss, any idea what the fault could be? bt say they cant find anything wrong? Broadband is very slow
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/noise-on-line

Edited by Loading (Sat 28-Sep-13 12:33:15)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:22:19
Print Post

Re: Noise on the line

[re: Loading] [link to this post]

Filters not working?
Device without filter?
Wiring issue on extensions?
Fault in external wiring?
Dry joint on a circuit board?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sat 28-Sep-13 13:43:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

tried in test socket, changed router,tried different filters, bt have been out left the house said they'd have a look but never returned,nothing changed when they had left the router didn't disconnect whilst they were checking which seems funny, if they were checking the line.
Dry joint on a circuit board? with what? also had this noise with the router disconnected in test socket the other night?
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/noise-on-line2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:29:06
Print Post

If the no modem is noisy and audible then report as noisy line to voice provider and do not mention broadband

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:59:41
Print Post

an engineer has been booked could it be a hr fault? although it doesn't drop soo much it's just noisy and slow after there was work done in the exchange,with a tie pair?, downstream attenuation increased, upstream noise margin dropped by 7db and line has been noisy hearing the hissing.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 00:22:43
Print Post

Could your line at the exchange be touching another or loose?

I once went into an exchange and the board where the lines came in was a total mess. I remember the engineer saying working on one it was very easy to knock another. Things are probably better now but you never know.

I saw my cab open the other day and took a pic, which I can't find right now but I remember asking the engineer how he could know which is which, it was that bad, his reply was " it's a f***** mess"

"
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 06:35:15
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

That's what I've been thinking but wouldn't it fail the line tests? How would I get them to check the exchange?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 10:39:10
Print Post

Mess or just densely packed? The mdf's I have seen are old and tightly packed with wiring but for number of wires very neat

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 10:40:10
Print Post

Hr fault is a possibility.

Thinking of a bad joint or similar

Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 12:14:47
Print Post

Would a bad joint reduce noise margin by 7db on both upstream and downstream, and cause an attenuation increase?
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:49:12
Print Post

I've only ever seen one that was tidy and it was for EO lines on a very large exchange - i've seen many a mdf mess and I've even had my own line in the past knocked out of service only to find my pair had been disturbed.

I used to think a lift and shift was a massive job..

FTTC will reduce that anyway I assume?

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 29-Sep-13 13:58:01)

(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 13:57:02
Print Post

Well, the mdf's I saw (Main Distribution Frames - Where your line and broadband go to when they get to the exchange) were a mess so any knocking of wires could cause a problem. This is ADSL right? If it is then it stops at the MDF but if it's LLU or partial LLU then your tie pair(s) will be jumpered onto the LLU kit as well so I assume that would mean you have 2 possible places the fault is occurring.

My knowledge of exchanges is a bit rusty. Haven't been in one since 2009 but the mdf connections I saw were very similar to the flat terminals on a chunky square battery. You know the ones where you just put the connection over it? Other are literally twisted together and then put on. So could be easy to loosen the connection and not know about it if you're working on another line and they are near eachother.

Someone with more knowledge will tell you for sure.

"
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:29:09
Print Post

I am with bt adsl so no llu how is the so does the line just connect from the cab to the mdf?
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-13 22:53:43
Print Post

Yes from your cab to the MDF in the exchange - your line and broadband are basically 2 wires that are either placed on their own little peg or twisted onto one but i've only ever seen that once..

It is possible one has been knocked creating a lose connection but it could also be water getting into any boxes outside. If you have overhead lines water getting into the top of a pole is very common. I dealt with a lot of faults due to water when I worked at Plusnet

So BT need to investigate. As an EU (End User as ISP's tend to call customers) you are only responsible for the NTE5 master socket inwards. Anything from that and including the test socket (behind the faceplate) is the responsible of BT Openreach to sort.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 29-Sep-13 22:55:40)

Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 07:01:58
Print Post

I'll get them to check the e side and the mdf
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:10:45
Print Post

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/exchange_inside.htm For avoidance of doubt.

ADSL via BT Wholesale DOES NOT STOP at the MDF, it is jumpered onto the DSLAM in exactly the same manner as SMPF LLU services.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:11:56
Print Post

General rule if the fault is in the exchange or MDF tendency is that it affects the upstream the most.

A poor joint somewhere, can affect attenuation and all the other symptons.

(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Sep-13 14:30:49
Print Post

Hi Andrew,

Thanks - sorry my bad I was tired when I typed that.

How could I forget the Digital subscriber line access multiplexer!!

<facepalm>

"
Standard User virgil7
(newbie) Mon 30-Sep-13 16:22:46
Print Post

Excuse me for butting in on this thread butt ... I have noise on my line too, I've had 2 Openreach engineers check it out o'er the years and the last one a couple of months ago cured the problem - at the exchange.

It's started again frown really noisy this time and of course it's knocked my download speed down to a pathetic 1.41Mbps whereas it's normally about 3-4Mb.

The thing is, the crackling noise doesn't begin straight away, but say, today it started after being on the dog 'n bone for 3 minutes, and it usualy starts with a 'click' sound.

I live out in the sticks with overhead copper/aluminium cable, and I'm 2 miles from the exchange and 1 mile from the cabinet sauvignon, I was just a'wondering if there's any engineer out there that has any ideas on this PITA problem.

I've plugged into the master socket AND tried different filters etc.

Thanks.
Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 17:32:17
Print Post

The upstreams noise margin is lower or could that still be the bad joint somewhere?
Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 17:37:29
Print Post

[re: virgil7] [link to this post]

My problem started after an engineer was interfering with the line as they had supposedly found battery voltage, but the engineer said he had modified the tie pair, which has caused all of these problems!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 17:48:26
Print Post

Without seeing a full set of stats hard to say anything, and even then probably an inconclusive answer.

Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:22:11
Print Post

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2144 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 60.1 dB 31.5 dB
Noise Margin 9.2 dB 21.0 dB
This was before the engineer supposedly modified the tie pair, below are the current stats? As you can see both the noise margins are lower and the attenuation has increased.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1280 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 65.3 dB 31.5 dB
Noise Margin 9.1 dB 15.0 dB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:26:14
Print Post

Perhaps your modulation is now ADSL2+ ?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User virgil7
(newbie) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:28:21
Print Post

Oh well, I'll have to call a n other Openreach engineer in I suppose smile

Plusnet has offered me FTTC at a once only - never to be repeated price, but that still leaves 1 mile of copper/aluminium, and I really don't want another 18 month contract, all I want, what I really really want, is 3-4 Mbps down wink
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:34:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by virgil7:
Plusnet has offered me FTTC at a once only - never to be repeated price, but that still leaves 1 mile of copper/aluminium, and I really don't want another 18 month contract, all I want, what I really really want, is 3-4 Mbps down wink
Putting the better set of figures into MrSaffron's calculator indicates that much more than 2.7Mbit/s is unlikely.

What is your predicted FTTC speed?

Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:45:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No g.dmt adsl, I changed nothing my end it was after he did something with the tie pair has brought on some other fault I've tried different filters, routers, it's all the same,I personally think the fault is from the cab to the exchange somewhere maybe even in the exchange.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:52:01
Print Post

Re: Noise on the line *DELETED*

Post deleted by BatBoy

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 30-Sep-13 20:43:04)

Standard User virgil7
(newbie) Mon 30-Sep-13 19:58:53
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
[

[/quote]

Up to 14Mbps, but I really don't want to go down the fibre route
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 20:18:07
Print Post

Something has added around 0.5km of metal wire some where to the line.

The lower noise margin on upstream, probably reflecting the increased attenuation which you cannot see as the router only displays the usual maximum 31.5dB.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 20:38:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:

As MrSaffron notes, something has changed the parameters of your line, and you have almost no leverage over BT Openreach to get things back to how they were. How much do you value your time and money persevering with ADSL? One engineer visit charge will likely pay for most of the additional FTTC cost for a minimum contract period.

In your position, I'd go down the FTTC route. You're likely to notice a vast difference between 14Mbit/s and <3Mbit/s, even though 14Mbit/s is relatively slow for FTTC.

I wouldn't worry unduly about the contract length. PlusNet allow you to buy yourself out of remaining months relatively cheaply.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 30-Sep-13 20:44:39
Print Post

virgil7 is not the OP Loading.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 30-Sep-13 20:46:48
Print Post

TBH it's a bit much posting in the Not-Spots and Slow-Spots forum if you can get fibre.

Not to mention hijacking someone-else's thread to do it mad

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 30-Sep-13 20:50:01)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:19:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I know you got confused by the hijacker, BatBoy, then I did.

Please - if a thread is about someone's technical problem, start a new thread if you want to talk about your problem, even if it's similar. I wasted time writing a load of rubbish, which I can't really delete now because it is the foundation of other replies.

Standard User Loading
(learned) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:31:54
Print Post

I understand that I just want to know what and why it is much worse with an increased attenuation, just from modifying the tie pair, but something is also adding noise on the line.
Standard User virgil7
(newbie) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:19:46
Print Post

Thank you David, I'll have to have a rethink then about FTTC.

Sorry about hijacking this thread, I just assumed it would be easier, being as the thread subject was about, um, noise on the line smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Oct-13 00:15:17
Print Post

No problem, I was mad at myself for having to re-edit my posts. As they say, fool me once shame on shame on you. You fool me, you can't get fooled again. wink

Standard User Loading
(learned) Thu 03-Oct-13 18:49:23
Print Post

the buzzing noise retuned tonight then dissapeared, and is there only after a button is pressed, dissapears on quiet line test? tried different phones still only after a button is pressed hissing is still there?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to