General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timmow
(newbie) Sun 24-Feb-19 14:36:13
Print Post

Community Fibre Partnership in Streatham London

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm in Streatham on cabinet number 45 which is ADSL2+ only - this is a Virgin Media area and has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ so the area wont qualify under USO. I had to fight to get plusnet to upgrade me to ADSL2+ - they had left me on standard ADSL. I now get a sync of 17335 kbps.

Its extremely frustrating to see other properties nearby on Gfast enabled exchanges as well as standard FTTC. I'm in the process of switching to Virgin Media, but it seems wrong that if the install happens i'll be forced to use Virgin Media to have faster broadband speeds in future, and locked into a single provider.

Does anyone here have experience of going down the community fibre route and is it likely to be worth it? It seems i'm required to collect peoples names and phone numbers before any estimate of the cost is available from openreach. Or is there anything else that can be done? The community fibre system seems geared towards rural communities, not places in London.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 24-Feb-19 16:23:08
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre Partnership in Streatham London

[re: timmow] [link to this post]

this is a Virgin Media area and has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ so the area wont qualify under USO

It wouldn't qualify under USO as virgin is available regardless of ADSL2+ which must have been available to you from BT and other service providers.
I think a CFP in this area is a dead duck. It will be nigh on impossible to get people to co-fund an upgrade if there is already a decent service available
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sun 24-Feb-19 22:48:03
Print Post

At least you have decent ADSL2+ speeds, and Virgin Media as an option. There are lots of areas that have no fast options at all.
Community Fibre Partnerships work in areas where there are enough people interested to share the cost, which may be more likely in urban areas with a higher population density than sparsely populated rural areas (like mine).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timmow
(newbie) Fri 01-Mar-19 12:40:42
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

So i've been looking into this a bit further and have begun collecting some addresses that are also connected to cabinet 45 in order to contact people to see if they are interested in improving the situation getting access to BT services so as to avoid only having 1 option for superfast broadband, and not being on the rollout plan for ultrafast broadband.

I have found that 213 - 241 Streatham High Road are connnected to cabinet 45, except for 225 Streatham High Road, which is connected to cabinet 5 and has FTTC available. Outside of this property is an inlink kiosk, and the property happens to be connected to https://www.hideawayworkspace.co.uk/content/location... which contains lots of local businesses.

Is it possible openreach have deliberately moved the local businesses to another cabinet in order to claim that our cabinet is not commercially viable and avoid the cost of upgrading the cabinet? If so is there anything I can do about this or anyone I can raise this with?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Mar-19 12:58:04
Print Post

Who says it is connected to cabinet 5? Cabinet 5 is over a kilometre away

It is part of a set of wires known as exchange only E_5 i.e. also has no FTTC

Also a workspace like this is much more likely to have installed a 100 Mbps symmetric or better service to ensure that those using it get good speeds.

So no evidence of any deliberate plan to make your cabinet not commercially viable, even if that was the case there is the much bigger question of why do something so underhand for just that cabinet? Why not do the same for all other cabinets on the exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-19 13:09:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No way is it connected to cab 5. Either cab 45 or e/o
Standard User timmow
(newbie) Fri 01-Mar-19 13:58:46
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I'm basing it on the information in the checker at

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

When I enter the address there, I get the following

https://imgur.com/KCN0O0L

I guess perhaps this information is wrong then - is there a better way to collect information on which addresses are connected to cabinet 45 that anyone is aware of? I've asked by emailing [email protected] but have had no response so i've resigned myself to collecting the addresses using this portal to check if they are connected to cabinet 45
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 01-Mar-19 14:16:17
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

To give you an example, we tried a Community Fibre scheme in my area, this area has nothing but ADSL, approx 3-4Mb at best. There was less than 50% interest, which wasnt enough to move it forward.
When you currently have what appears to be good ADSL2+ speeds and also Virgin option, there is no way you will get enough interest, especially if people have to spend their own money.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Mar-19 14:59:13
Print Post

Why SW16 6EN? The Hideaway is at SW16 2ED...which is a different postcode

Also cabinet 5 is actually at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4276814,-0.1498486...

So as I said a good distance away, so no way that that property on the High Street is getting full speed VDSL2 from cabinet 5.

My conclusion would be one of the numerous mistakes in the checker.

Postcodes that are part of 45 are
SW16 2BF
SW16 2DX
SW16 6EW
SW16 2ED - this one and others onwards are split between multiple cabinets or EO areas
SW16 6EN
SW16 2AZ
SW16 2DY

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timmow
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-19 11:14:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I do accept that I might not get any interest but feel I should at least make the effort to contact people to be sure of this, even if people are not willing to pay evidence that people are not happy with internet service may be of use. I'd write to my MP/Councillor/Assembly Member, but I feel until i've explored the community fibre route i've not done everything I possibly can before contacting them.

The message i'd be trying to sell is that the situation at the moment locks you into Virgin Media if you want fast broadband services, you have no choice of supplier, whereas others near by you are able to get superfast fibre with providers on BTs network for cheaper prices, and that by not being on the Fibre rollout plans the area will lag even further behind in future.

I think the catalyst for this change for me has been coming off my standard DSL deal with plusnet for £10 a month including line rental and finding there is now not much of a price diffrential between standard ADSL2+ and superfast broadband - i'd be happier being stuck on ADSL2+ if I was paying less for it than alternative superfast options

And to those who have commented that I should be grateful for being in a virgin media area and having decent ADSL2+ speeds, I truly do sympathise and understand that my situation is better than others, but I still feel like I should do something to improve the situation for the local area

If anyone has any better idea of things I could do i'd be welcome. And please dont suggest moving house to an area covered, which I understand is probably the most rational response!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to