General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Mar-19 15:06:12
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre Partnership in Streatham London

[re: timmow] [link to this post]

I hardly think that your MP/Councillor/Assembly Member will have the slightest interest in your perceived problem but might have been interested if VM were not available. Remember that BT is a private company and answerable to its shareholders when making investment decisions. Government and Local Authorities come in to play when an area doesn't meet USO requirements, requirements that your area meets thanks to having VM available.
Standard User dect
(member) Sun 03-Mar-19 10:02:40
Print Post

Doing a Community Fibre Partnership (CFP) is not to be under estimated.

Make sure you do all your research on what's required before you put all the leg work in to visit those premises severed by Streatham cabinet 45. A lot of people are not aware of the Community Interest Company (CIC) which is effectively a non for profits business you need to setup to be able to sign the contract with BT and people are also not normally aware that you need to pay half the money up front when signing the contract which could be over 12 months before the infrastructure is installed. A lot of people will not be interested when they find out they need to contribute thousands for the upgrade and others who are unwilling to contribute may also be able to benefit from the upgrade.

Good luck if you do succeed as its a mountain to climb and a lot of people do not get to the summit.
Standard User northantspete
(newbie) Thu 18-Apr-19 12:04:42
Print Post

Force the unlock of Exchange Only Broadband lines or provide funds cover costs

Exchange only lines are those that do not have a cabinet and are usually feet from the exchange. Due to the way the lines have been configured, EO lines that go directly into the exchange (no cabinet) cannot get super fast broadband. This is not the fault of the home owner.

OFCOM will not move this forward either so the government must step in to unlock EO lines and force companies to upgrade these lines or find a solution. This affects hundreds of properties around the country, despite being in busy towns and cities, they cannot get fast broadband. The current UK broadband backend provider (openreach) must be take over the costs and be held responsible Failing this the government must set up a fund to unlock these lines in order to offer all super fast broadband.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/258240/spon...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Apr-19 20:15:17
Print Post

[re: northantspete] [link to this post]

Force the unlock of Exchange Only Broadband lines

.... and what exactly might an 'unlock' of these lines mean ???

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Apr-19 10:27:08
Print Post

I think the catalyst for this change for me has been coming off my standard DSL deal with plusnet for £10 a month including line rental
I wish we could have had ADSL for that price in my (formerly Market 1) area! let alone ADSL2 giving double digits! (although it did arrive eventually and managed to get me all the way to almost 8Mbps

My line managed a very average 5-6 Mbps for much of my time on ADSL and being outside of "low cost" areas we were having to pay around £20 per month just for ADSL service plus a line rental on top. Think yourself lucky you got off that cheaply for near 3 times the speed of a lot of rural lines, where we have a history of paying more for less. we would have given our first borns for a chance a Virgin Media!

As for the post about "unlocking EO Lines" - the clue is in the name - EXCHANGE ONLY - there is NO street cab, Hence no FTTC available, we still have places in my county that are on EO lines. The lines go stright to the exchange, so major works would be required to change that.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to