General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alandyman
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-19 22:44:14
Print Post

Ideas welcomed

[link to this post]

sorry, having read more about his section of the forum, we are in Purleigh in Essex, 300m from the BT exchange as the crow flies

we have a VERY poor BB speed, normally sub 1Mb DL and sub 0.1Mb UL with a ping time of often more than a second. Been like this for several years now.
I'm with sky but it's a BT only exchange - BT provide the 'service' to sky.
I call sky and they say they can't do anything as it's a BT exchange, I can't call BT, they won't let me. I had a call from a BT engineer once who said it was Sky's problem with their equipment but I know for a fact there is no Sky kit in the exchange.
The exchange is apparently a dumping ground for BT's out of date equipment.
I have approx 9->11Mb link speed to the exchange so it appears the issue is with the exchange itself
Anyone any ideas what I should try?

Edited by alandyman (Mon 04-Mar-19 22:57:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Mar-19 23:02:41
Print Post

Re: Ideas welcomed

[re: alandyman] [link to this post]

If the exchange has not been unbundled by Sky then they are using a service that is best avoided if you can, i.e. often heavily contended which explains why you say 9 to 11 Mbps link speed but poor speeds.

If this is congestion than speeds should improve at off peak times e.g. after midnight and before the afternoon during the week. I say if since if getting 9 to 11 sync it suggests ADSL2+ so the poor speeds might be something else.

Copy and paste of the router connection figures, and a link to a speed test result from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest will help others add comments

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alandyman
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:22:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes, it's much better outside peak times so I believe it's contention within the exchange.
Here's a typical result for ~5pm->11:30pm
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15517409243...

It's the inability to be able to complain together with the fact that BT are getting paid to provide me with terrible service that really gets me.

After this I wouldn't switch to BT and give them more money if it was 1p a year for fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:27:32
Print Post

The hatred for BT may stop you getting you a better service...

Sky does not like buying capacity from BT Wholesale on exchanges where it does not have a LLU presence and traditionally that non LLU Sky service performs worse than other providers who also buy from BT Wholesale

Your problem may not be the exchange capacity but some anonymous regional node where others on similar exchanges have their data picked up by Sky.

If a FTTC service is available that is very likely going to be better speed wise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:30:22
Print Post

I think you misunderstand the situation, SKY are paying BT the minimum amount they possibly can to provide an abysmal service, so leaving SKY and going to BT would almost certainly solve the problem. SKY are the guilty party not BT.
Standard User alandyman
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:32:06
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

so BT are deliberately giving me a poor service because it's them acting on behalf of another provider?
That's like my local electricity supplier giving me lower voltage and only an intermittent service because I took my power contract from someone else. If it's legal it shouldn't be

Edited by alandyman (Thu 07-Mar-19 10:34:39)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:51:32
Print Post

No, its Sky who are giving you a poor service irrespective of where they buy the bandwidth from.

What speeds does the BT DSL checker show for your line? If your line no isn't recognized, then use the 'Address Checker' option by entering your house no and postcode.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User alandyman
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-19 11:07:20
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 79 20 19 78 Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 79 20 19 78 Available -- --
Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --
ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Observed Speeds

VDSL

ADSL

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) -- 9.73
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) -- 0.45
Observed Date -- 2019-03-07

----------------

not quite sure how to interpret that TBH, which section am I looking at? ADSL?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Mar-19 11:08:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If I pay 10p for a meal from a catering firm should that be to the same quality as someone paying £1?

This is what is happening in the Sky non-llu exchange areas.

On speeds believe they should have FTTC available, some may have full speed VDSL2 and others are lower as split between three cabinets. So upgrading to FTTC and staying with Sky is one option if loyalty to the existing provider is key.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Mar-19 11:46:03
Print Post

Thanks, you have a decent range of speed tiers to choose from.

If you're happy with ADSL2+ speeds (10-15 Mbps) then might be a good idea moving over to BT Retail. You also have the option of taking out the higher speed packages (VDSL) such as (55 Mbps or 80 Mbps) on BT Retail if you wanted to, at additional cost. It really depends on what speeds you need and/or how much you're willing to pay.

Reason for recommending BT is that peak time slow downs aren't common and in areas where they do exist, they're relatively quick to add backhaul capacity.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to