General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:50:05
Print Post

Open reach on our estate

[link to this post]

I live on a new build estate and we get around 2 meg down for the last few years, the last few days open reach vans have been on our site.
I stopped and asked the team looking in the man holes and they said they have a four week window to install fibre with a two week testing window before we can order it and we should get around 200meg.
When I check the open reach website it still doesnít show anything for my postcode, and there is no work happening to upgrade our green box at the end of the street.
Does the guy know what heís talking about or am I being paranoid and should be getting excited.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:53:49
Print Post

Re: Open reach on our estate

[re: Biglee5555] [link to this post]

Some relatively recent new builds have seen retrofits of FTTP full fibre, so its possible. If the exchange is on a Fibre First list probability is much higher.

The green box for FTTP is untouched.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:58:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The estate is two years old but hopefully itís coming, I just found it strange the open reach website doesnít show anything for my postcode. Thanks for the reply itís much appreciated, and with him quoting speeds of 200meg it canít be FTTC.

Edited by Biglee5555 (Thu 12-Sep-19 17:02:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User unknown101
(regular) Thu 12-Sep-19 21:27:03
Print Post

Not just fibre first areas most old new sites are being retro fitted with FTTP, checkers wonít show it coming as the OP say it is a rapid deployment within weeks.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Thu 12-Sep-19 21:27:59
Print Post

Checkers wonít show it coming as it is a rapid deployment overlaying cooper only areas of old new sites with FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-19 21:34:28
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Most old new sites? Source?

Have seen some but a long way from being enough to say most, when you consider around 200,000 new homes every year.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Thu 12-Sep-19 21:50:45
Print Post

Most, yes as in majority of old new sites as in couple years that are copper only. No source but review it in three or so months time.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Fri 13-Sep-19 13:12:03
Print Post

Maybe someone at Openreach put their thinking cap on and figured that recently built estates that only have copper are likely to all be ducted and said ducts are likely not to be blocked on account of them being relatively speaking brand new. Consequently they are likely to be "easy" to fibre up.

Personally if I had been handed a target of a certain number of premises to install fibre in then I would be looking for all the low hanging fruit I could find. Maybe trial one or two estates see if one's assumptions are correct and if they are rub my hands with glee as life just got a lot easier.

Further if the "old new" site had duff broadband then that would be somewhere to double down on as uptake is likely to be good as well giving you a better ROI.

Sure it would be an outbreak of common sense at BT/Openreach but stranger things have happened.
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-19 14:34:40
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Well I have spoken to some more of the engineers today, and it is FTTP after emailing for the last two years Iím gob smacked. I have recently been trying to get a community group together to pay for FTTC so to say Iím shocked is an understatement.
They told me they finish the fibre install end of next week as itís gone really well then it gets past to the test engineers. Does anyone know the time scale from them finishing testing and it going live.
We only have 100 houses on the estate so I was thinking my only hope was 5g so Iím over the moon it reminded me of my ISDN days but thereís light at the end of the tunnel now.
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Fri 13-Sep-19 15:44:05
Print Post

Physically light testing at each CBT couple days max, then the results get sent in and the network will get commissioned on all the required systems another week max - doesnít take long.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to