General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:08:23
Print Post

Re: Universal Service Obligation (USO)

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Yes, we have looked at many and various solutions. We tried a CFP, but due to the way the BDUK FTTC rollout was done they left small groups of houses around the village on EO ADSL lines (BT wanted to FTTP using remote nodes but were vetoed on cost - then they dropped that approach anyway). For CFP they split the houses into small groups of about half a dozen, which were then not viable. We also weren't eligible for vouchers as FTTP from Gigaclear was "imminent" - that was 4+ years ago. I've looked at leased lines - I was quoted £325+VATpm with capped ECC for a 30Mbps line (on a 100Mbps bearer), but that was too expensive for me at the time (I had a budget of £250). I enquired again recently, but it has gone up significantly!
I did get BT Business to look at FTTPoD even though I'm technically not eligible (as I'm EO), but they refused to quote as it was an 11 mile build! It might be less now, as they have some FTTP new build only 5 or 6 miles away.
There are no FW providers in the area, so the only option is 4G until Gigaclear get here (due to finish the build by the end of 2018).
But it is OK as we'll get USO in a month or two - job done.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:16:58
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
I was quoted £325+VATpm with capped ECC for a 30Mbps line (on a 100Mbps bearer), but that was too expensive for me at the time (I had a budget of £250). I enquired again recently, but it has gone up significantly!

Did you shop around for that or just re-quote with the same company as you asked before out of interest?

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:23:04
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I did shop around a bit recently, but not a lot as I don't really want a 3 year contract now. Rather than spend a small fortune on a leased line I'm increasingly tempted to to use the money to retire a few years early.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:25:35
Print Post

I did shop around a bit recently, but not a lot as I don't really want a 3 year contract now. Rather than spend a small fortune on a leased line I'm increasingly tempted to to use the money to retire a few years early.

Certainly agree with that... and you don't know what is around the corner. Something could appear a few months in; would be good to be able to predict the future.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:27:54
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:

Certainly agree with that... and you don't know what is around the corner. Something could appear a few months in; would be good to be able to predict the future.

Matt
+1
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 17:49:00
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

If I retire early I'll be able to stop worrying about how to work from home as a software engineer with poor broadband, and sit back and watch Netflix on my 4K TV instead. Oh, wait...
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 18-Feb-20 18:06:04
Print Post

If I retire early I'll be able to stop worrying about how to work from home as a software engineer with poor broadband, and sit back and watch Netflix on my 4K TV instead. Oh, wait...
I get the dilemma, If I was you I would go out and enjoy those extra retirement years, hopefully sometime in the future good broadband will be available for Netflix on your 4K TV laugh
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 18-Feb-20 18:20:03
Print Post

[re: JT_WHC] [link to this post]

I think it all comes down to what 4G service is or will be available to you, if the 4G service is considered to meet the USO minimum requirement then the likely hood is those properties will only get a 4G router for the £3,400
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-20 18:22:13
Print Post

You've clearly done as much as you can. Am sorry that it has been to no good effect.

I can't help wondering, and this is in no way aimed at yourself, just how much the state should pay for/subsidise expensive installations such as yours. Properties without main drainage have to pay the full cost as do those who live along an unadopted road that a council decrees should be adopted once the residents have paid to bring it up to standard. Nevertheless I hope that either a commercial company such as Gigaclear or Openreach decide to invest in your area and if not that a community organisation similar to B4RN takes up the slack.
Standard User burble
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 18:30:44
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

With BT wanting to switch off copper within 7 years it's only a matter of time before all have FTTP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to