General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 19:45:22
Print Post

Re: Universal Service Obligation (USO)

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Well, I'm not sure it *should* be expensive. My house is less than 20 yards from a chamber where the fibre runs through on its way to/from the exchange. The ducts are clear all the way.
By car I can be at Aztec West (Bristol) in 25 minutes. and I'm 4 miles in each direction from fibre enable towns. The fact that the nearest place to connect fibre to is (was?) 11 miles away isn't because I'm remote, it is because BT/BDUK chose not to have any closer.
Also, if Fastershire had allowed BT to move all the bundles to FTTC I expect I would have got 18Mbps, and much faster upload than ADSL Max allows, 5 years ago.
Additionally, broadband is different to mains drainage. We don't have mains drainage, but I can(and have) install my own sewage treatment plant. I can't provide my own internet, as there is nowhere to connect it to. If I had backhaul available I could do the rest, but it isn't available.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 19:46:41
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

No, they are not switching off copper - they are switching off POTS. It will be VoIP over ADSL2+.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-20 21:43:32
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

We don't have mains drainage, but I can(and have) install my own sewage treatment plant
You may have missed my point. I was saying that those who are told by their water authority/council that they are to have main sewage installed are required to pay the cost, it isn't done for "free" as would be the case for the USO where the cost is shown to be less than £3,400. Likewise it was yourself who paid for your sewage treatment plant rather than the water/waste authority.

To what extent should the state pay for the installation of infrastructure considered to be commercially non viable and what should be the source of those funds? I don't know the answer. I have mixed views. I'm sympathetic for those living in remote and expensive areas but whilst there is a strong case to be argued for the "less well off" to be assisted should the lord of the manor also get it for free? An no, whilst I don't like the thought of means testing I would probably resent contributing to the installation costs of someone far better off than myself. Apologies for the diatribe. It wasn't aimed at your personally but at the problem as a whole.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 18-Feb-20 23:48:12
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

it isn't done for "free" as would be the case for the USO where the cost is shown to be less than £3,400.

no, but I also don't pay an ongoing fee to the water company for sewerage either, whereas I would pay an ongoing fee for broadband.
The state pays for lots of infrastructure that is used by only a small number of people. Where that expenditure enables economic activity that results in tax being paid it is usually described as an "investment". I work for an overseas based company, so I bring money in to the UK, and pay UK tax (quite a lot of it, so you'd probably resent it if my broadband installation was subsidised). However, the existing phone USO and future broadband USO is in place as the importance of both are recognised in order to avoid social exclusion and to promote economic activity. The £3,400 limit is there as that is seen to be a level where the "investment" is worth it. However, whereas the phone USO service has remained adequate throughout its lifetime, I believe the broadband USO is already inadequate before it comes into force - although it may avoid some social exclusion, it won't allow any worthwhile economic activity. Unfortunately, politicians don't understand the issues. It is all a bit of a mess IMO.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-20 01:13:46
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Mostly correct but they are toying with the ideal of entire copper removal...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8480-ofcom-propo...

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 08:52:41
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

BT have been talking to Ofcom about removal of copper network by 2027, they are hoping to start removing copper from my area next year!
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 09:29:46
Print Post

I can believe they will have copper removal in some trial areas this decade, but the overall job will take decades I'm sure.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Feb-20 10:09:26
Print Post

When a lot of people talk about removal they just mean switching off and leaving in the ground for now.

If referring to the Salisbury and MIldenhall trials they are about getting people switched to voice over broadband, be that voice over FTTP, G.fast or VDSL2. In the Mildenhall area the copper will be needed for the G.fast and VDSL2 signals

In Salisbury while the WLR switch off will mean use of full fibre by everyone, there has been no discussion of actual removal of the copper yet. In fact copper in place is a disaster recovery for the one or two properties where something MUST be copper based for some reason and of course LLU MPF services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris_owen
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 17:53:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm new to the forum so I hope i'm in the right place.
We are a village of over 400 houses without FTTC although we are only 1.2 miles from the exchange. Openreach say we are in an Open Market Review location, meaning they have to allow other providers in to our area. I have contacted all the other providers who say they have no plans. Stalemate.
So I want to do a USO application. Does anyone know how to do this, what is needed, and who it is sent to ? Regarding the £3,400 cost limit, how do we find out what the total cost is ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Feb-20 18:28:40
Print Post

[re: chris_owen] [link to this post]

USO is not in place yet for broadband, need to wait for March

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to