General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BT76
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-20 11:06:16
Print Post

Internet Issues at future property

[link to this post]

Hi there,

My family and i are moving from the city of Aberdeen to a rural location outwith the city.

As most people at present i am reliant on the net at home for working and although we are moving to a really nice property it seems the internet status isnt quite so nice!!

I've been informed we have an EO line at our new property and we need a CAB line?

We have an order with BT, and the person i spoke with on the phone assured me the engineer would sort everything on installation. (I'm not so sure).

I contacted openreach and got the following response... (Question is, will the engineer sort all, or what do i do?!)

o me, sifibreenquiriesmop

Hello Blair,

Thanks for contacting us about fibre availability in your area.

Your line is connected directly to the local exchange and isn't routed through one of our roadside cabinets. We call these exchange only (EO) lines.

EO lines are more complicated to upgrade to fibre broadband as we need to either install a new cabinet to route the lines into. Or consider installing different technology in the area like Fibre to the Premises (FTTP).

I'm afraid that for now, we don't have any plans to upgrade the EO lines in your area.

I really do appreciate your frustration that fibre broadband isn't currently available to order but it's not our policy to re-arrange our network and move premises to nearby cabinets that have been upgraded. This is costly as a lot of engineering work is need to our network. Such work would also have the potential to lead to capacity issues in the cabinets that have been upgraded.

An option that many local groups - who want faster broadband - are taking is a CFP. A CFP is where we work with a local group representing two or more premises to bring superfast, or ultrafast, to an area. Where possible we bring together funding from local authorities, Government voucher schemes and other grants to help make things affordable - plus we contribute toward the cost in line with our own commercial model too.

At present, around 800 communities across the UK have signed up for a CFP with us via this scheme. We'll never say no to bringing fibre broadband to any community, so anyone interested in this option can find more information and register on our website:

https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/

You can request a Universal Service Obligation connection directly from BT who are the designated universal service provider. They’ll deal with your enquiry directly and they’ll have webpages & contact numbers available.

If you would like to know more about USO, Ofcom have an area on their website that has been set up to give you more information.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-20 11:14:32
Print Post

Re: Internet Issues at future property

[re: BT76] [link to this post]

If you have ordered a broadband service and EO is best i.e. just ADSL/ADSL2+ then that is what you will get.

A cab line I presume refers to a line via a VDSL2 cabinet, which if the checkers are not offering FTTC/VDSL2 services is not available to you.

The Openreach email is telling you if you want a faster than ADSL/ADSL2+ service then someone is going to have to pay for it.

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BT76
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-20 11:18:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So what do i need to do???

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpm
(learned) Tue 21-Jul-20 11:24:25
Print Post

Check for alternative providers, pay for a Community Fibre Partnership to deploy FTTP, use 4G/another wireless option, or install a leased line. Or just use ADSL.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Tue 21-Jul-20 11:31:55
Print Post

If having a decent broadband speed is that important at the moment, then you have to way up is it worth moving. I know that is the harsh way of looking at things, but with how home working is now, it's more important than ever to make sure you know you are going to get a decent speed before even thinking about moving to a property.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:13:18
Print Post

What speed is being estimated for the new property?

What is coverage for 4G services like in the area?

A postcode would be helpful in checking area out for alternative services

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 21-Jul-20 14:14:01)

Standard User BT76
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:15:56
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I ran a check for AB41 8QH

Results

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- -- Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- -- Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
ADSL Multicast Available

I know this is a pain but i need some sort of solution, maybe mobile broadband is my only option?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:25:34
Print Post

I'd be shocked if mobile was able to give you decent speeds in that location.

My advice having looked at a map - do not move there, or be prepared to stump up a lot (£10000 to £20000) of your own money to fix it with a 12 month timespan.

Immediate action - drive there and see what mobile coverage on your phone and other networks is at the property is like and what speeds you can get. A Mobile broadband router with an outdoor antenna will usually improve on those speeds, but if zero mobile which seems likely it may not help.

Satellite broadband is best speed option at this time that does not cost an arm and a leg, but will have high latency, so if your work from home involves Remote Desktop or other interactive activities that will be painful.

The Broadband USO should be available, but that in this case is very likely to need to pay extra install costs on top of the £3,400 that they pay towards getting you a 10 Mbps or faster service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:29:24
Print Post

So I've checked Three Mobile, EE and Vodafone,

Vodafone might be the best option based on coverage indications and EE might be a good option too for better speed however you will need to look at getting external antennas for these services and EE.

May I ask what the requirements of connection for work are, lets assume you get 2.5mb down and 0.5mb upload on ADSL then maybe getting two broadband services would be ideal to have backup and also dedicate one connection to work activities.

If you where to look into 4G options then you would need to get a 4G router and a good outdoor antenna installed up high outside and an unlimted data plan with network of your choosing, (though testing the local network with pay as you go sims is recommened first.

Another option may be satellite broadband.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User BT76
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:30:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My wife was at the property yesterday and had 4G on her mobile. She face-timed from within the property as well as outside.

How do i go about the USO?

I've been quoted the following for a mobile solution...

Quantity Description Unit Price Net Amt VAT % VAT
1.00 Meraki MG21 Cellular Gateway 485.00 485.00 20.00 97.00
1.00 Meraki MG21 Enterprise License and Support 130.00 130.00 20.00 26.00
1 Year Subscription
1.00 Unlimited Vodafone 4G Data Sim 45.00 45.00 20.00 9.00
Monthly Subscription
1.00 Draytek ADSL Router Vigor 2862 210.00 210.00 20.00 42.00
2.00 Installation & Setup 95.00 190.00 20.00 38.00
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to