General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FarmerStuart
(newbie) Wed 07-Apr-21 15:47:16
Print Post

Re: USO Expectations ! 174000 out of 190000 will have to pay

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

North Hampshire. I know fibre works a bit differently but the exchange is Silchester.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 16:34:43
Print Post

[re: FarmerStuart] [link to this post]

Thanks

I was just wondering if you were in an area where copper was going to be turned off, but Silchester is not on the list.

When you finally get FTTP please drop Mr Saffron a message with the postcode so he can add it to the maps.
(newbie) Wed 07-Apr-21 17:00:08
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

My postcode is fed from two directions from two exchanges so is technically live with FTTP according to Openreach it's just my end of the post code wasn't done. I think the orginal plan would have included everyone in the village on the exchange rather than thinking that for a little bit more effort they could pick up the extra odd houses. I'm sure if the poles in that direction didn't have a collection of electrical cables and transformers on them then they would have run the fibre overhead to us last year.

With a bit of luck they can now pull out the old copper that goes down the lane which will stop the squirrels chewing on it and the hedgecutting crews hitting it every couple of years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 17:15:35
Print Post

You may find that unlike the copper the fibre doesn't come from either of those exchanges (if indeed they are small local exchanges). FTTP and the fibre serving FTTC cabinets comes from larger GEA Headend exchanges that can be several or more miles away.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Wed 07-Apr-21 21:33:06
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Our Head end is in the next city 12 miles + away, not in our local 'copper' exchange 3miles away.

@ FarmerStuart, I have known of farmers putting there own ducts in across there land to make the price of FTTP oD a lot cheaper.

BT gave me the ducts I put in under our long drive for the BT copper cable, soon to be replaced with FTTP.

Edited by APTMAN (Wed 07-Apr-21 21:41:26)

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 07-Apr-21 21:39:40
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Yes we’re 9 miles from EAIPS where the fibre originates and again about 3.5 miles from the local copper exchange at EAWLD.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Apr-21 07:31:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by FarmerStuart:
North Hampshire. I know fibre works a bit differently but the exchange is Silchester.

Ah, Silchester .... the ‘Brigadoon’ of exchanges

(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 09:28:08
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

@APTMAN, I'd certainly considered that option as it's something I've done in the past on a smaller scale. Luckily the price was so huge that it just wasn't even an option so I stuck with 4G and filled out the form on the Openreach site asking why my neighbour could get it but I couldn't.
Somehow I seem to have got lucky and the system let me place an order for satandard FTTP so I figured I'd get one in there and then before anyone looked at why I'd been put in the too hard pile the first time round.
The closest CBT is in a chamber 150m up the road but the ducting stops there and the poles inbetween us have 11KV cables on them so they can't be shared.

@Zarjaz, despite living in the area most of my life I've not not had cause to go up the lane to the 'new' (1970s?) exchange. The old one is a nice little house now and my parents nearly bought the house with the orginal village switchboard in it years ago.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to