General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wilderness
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-21 18:28:52
Print Post

using a mobile to get on the internet

[link to this post]

I have used an ee sim card, attached to some sort of receiver high up on my roof, for a couple of years now to get an internet connection. It is costing me £140 a month. I need to find a technician (the company who sorted it out originally has gone out of business) who can check to see if I could now get a signal from any other provider, who might offer a cheaper deal. I thought about changing to a satellite, but as I use skype / zoom for work thought that latency might be a problem. Could anyone here recommend a technician, or does anyone have any comments about moving over to a satellite?
I live in the western Brecon Beacons.

Edited by wilderness (Fri 08-Jan-21 18:29:42)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jan-21 20:39:17
Print Post

Re: using a mobile to get on the internet

[re: wilderness] [link to this post]

Post in this forum, which is dedicated to your specific enquiry

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband.html

You seem to be paying an awful lot for a service that can be had pretty cheap these days.

A family member bought a router which takes a sim, the router provides the wifi, and the sim is around £20 a month I think.....

Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-21 21:20:26
Print Post

As you have been able to get Mobile broadband using EE Sim. This company maybe worth contacting
http://www.dyfedtelecom.com/.
Costs nothing to ask.

Edited by flippery (Fri 08-Jan-21 21:21:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(member) Fri 08-Jan-21 21:36:09
Print Post

EE should be £25 pm for 4G and Unlimited Data. Review your contract and switch as soon as possible.
Standard User wilderness
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-21 21:33:35
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

- thanks. I'll try them on Monday. I've tried all routes to get a cheaper contract out of EE, but to no avail - it's because the signal can only be got from the roof, so I can't use their 4g wifihub.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-21 22:18:18
Print Post

What do you actually have on the roof? If necessary replace what ever is on the roof with a Mikrotik SXT-LTE6 kit

https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte6_kit

However that should not be necessary, though it may well give you a better connection. There should be no requirement for the 4G WiFi hub for a cheaper contract. Worst case scenario is just remove the SIM card from their $G WiFI hub and stick into whatever you end up using.

What you are currently paying is outrageous frankly.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 22:38:53
Print Post

So I am clear, are you saying EE are charging you £140?, if so is this just for the sim or are you paying EE or someone else ongoing charges for the equipment as well?

Edited by dect (Sat 09-Jan-21 22:39:39)

Standard User wilderness
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 09:49:07
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I have a sim card from EE and that is the only ongoing payment I make - the start up cost for the kit on the roof was funded partly from a welsh govt grant. I pay EE so much as it is a mobile sim, and you can't get unlimited broadband from a mobile sim. I end up buying 200gig a month on average, and the cost is £70 per 100gig. I have tried their home hub, which would have been significantly cheaper, but it couldn't get a signal.
Standard User wilderness
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 10:02:24
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Worst case scenario is just remove the SIM card from their $G WiFI hub and stick into whatever you end up using.

Yes - that was my thinking - but I'm not able to climb up on the roof. I've contacted the engineers recommended above - hopefully they will come up with some ideas. I know I'm paying a ridiculous amount, but ee is the only signal I can get - even from the roof.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Jan-21 10:40:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by wilderness:
I have a sim card from EE and that is the only ongoing payment I make - the start up cost for the kit on the roof was funded partly from a welsh govt grant. I pay EE so much as it is a mobile sim, and you can't get unlimited broadband from a mobile sim. I end up buying 200gig a month on average, and the cost is £70 per 100gig. I have tried their home hub, which would have been significantly cheaper, but it couldn't get a signal.
Lots of people report on here they now use standard unlimited sims in there routers rather that mobile broadband specific sims. Hopefully others will explains more

Edit: It should only be costing you a max of £35 a month for unlimited on a good network not the crazy prices your paying.

Edited by dect (Mon 11-Jan-21 10:43:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to