General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TimJ
(committed) Mon 11-Jan-21 12:18:17
Print Post

Re: using a mobile to get on the internet

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Yes - that was my thinking - but I'm not able to climb up on the roof.

I would have thought that a local aerial installer would be prepared to go up there and change a SIM for a small charge.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 11-Jan-21 12:51:00
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TimJ:
Yes - that was my thinking - but I'm not able to climb up on the roof.

I would have thought that a local aerial installer would be prepared to go up there and change a SIM for a small charge.

Indeed. I would have thought that installation of "rooftop" mobile broadband devices would be a nice sideline for any sort of reputable aerial installer. There is minimal additional equipment to buy (cable tester, crimp and punch down tools) and they are good to go.

Obviously there are the cowboys would won't know what a spectrum analyser was if it bit them in the backside (and are hence not reputable IMHO), but aerial/satellite installers are in general ideally placed for this sort of work.
Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jan-21 20:31:41
Print Post

[re: wilderness] [link to this post]

Were you able to improve cost

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-21 16:42:43
Print Post

[re: wilderness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wilderness:
I pay EE so much as it is a mobile sim, and you can't get unlimited broadband from a mobile sim.
That's simply rubbish. Don't know who told you that.

I have unlimited mobile broadband from Three for £16 per month, from EE for £20 per month, and could have it from Vodafone for £35 per month, though I have a more limited one from Voxi for £10 per month. That's all the networks*

All these are mobile phone sims. All work just fine in a 4G router. Or in my case, three 4G routers.

There are regulations about Net Neutrality that prohibit limiting the use of phone sims in routers.

*O2 do it too, but in my experience O2 are too [censored] to bother with.

In reply to a post by wilderness:
I end up buying 200gig a month on average, and the cost is £70 per 100gig. I have tried their home hub, which would have been significantly cheaper, but it couldn't get a signal.
Your best bet is to try a PAYG sim from each of the other networks to see what each gives you.

You'll need to look on Cellmapper to see which way to point the antenna.

Even then, it's not obvious. With Three, my nearest cell gives a good strong signal but it is overloaded and data speeds are very poor indeed, so I connect to a different one a few miles further away. The antenna is "hidden" behind a stone wall so it can't see the nearest base. Works very well, getting about 35Mb down, 30Mb up.

I did try a directional antenna, but the signal strength went off the scale and the signal quality plummeted.

With EE, it's easier. The nearest cell is the strongest and the fastest, and it is happy with the directional antenna. EE isn't as fast as Three here, but the latency is much, much better.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to