General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 05-Jan-11 22:44:24
Print Post

Re: World's largest single EU funded municipal project

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Will be interested to hear who this national ISP is howeve

Talk Talk mentioned it in their strategy presentation.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Jan-11 00:37:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Will be interested to hear who this national ISP is howeve

Talk Talk mentioned it in their strategy presentation.

Bah.. of all the possibles it could have been... :-/
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:06:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BT anti-competitive, or just doing what every other commercial firm will do and try to protect itself?

Must agree the pricing was all public, so unless BT has been charging lots for stuff on top of the pricelist then not sure what Ofcom will do. There may be a point over the number database, but to be honest I don't think that even in BT itself this sort of thing is that organised. There are so many layers, that keeping this up to date and tracking numbers that have gone full LLU/WLR etc makes it more complex.

If Digital Region cannot make money then it is bad for the UK as a whole, but the warning signs are there, as in people don't want to pay a fortune, and believe it or not, millions have email addresses with [email protected] and are reticent to change. The practice also (not just from BT) are retaining customers by signing them up to long contracts in return for better deals/upgrades also means that average user may not be totally free to move.

If Digital Region offered something unique like all football matches in the UK live for a flat fee per month it would get more interest, but to be frank to the average person getting 3Meg downloads, why is 25Meg so important? Remember I said average, 90% of us posting here are well outside the average.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swampster
(committed) Sat 08-Jan-11 02:48:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting news re: DRL

Digital Region Ltd.: Digital Region Transforms Super-fast Broadband Offering for the Digitally Excluded

Jan 07, 2011 (M2 PRESSWIRE via COMTEX) -- South Yorkshire: Super-fast broadband pioneer Digital Region Ltd. (www.digitalregion.co.uk) and Box Top Solutions, Inc. (www.boxtop.tv), a leading Silicon Valley application developer, have today announced their agreement to trial BoxTop's unique application platform which transforms how broadband services are paid for and enables carriers and content providers to provide unconnected households with free super-fast broadband through their digital television.

The Android-based platform, dubbed FreeBand, is scheduled for its first market trial in the second quarter of this year on Digital Region's super-fast fibre network. The platform turns the existing 'user-pays' broadband model upside down by employing a unique software metering engine that enables entertainment companies, merchants, and providers of educational and government services to pay, on a dynamic basis, the bandwidth charges for end users in order to reach them. In effect this creates the world's first '0800' application for broadband access to the internet.

The FreeBand model creates a sustainable business cycle in which multiple providers are each able to pay for just a portion of the total monthly bandwidth charges required to reach new, unconnected customers. As a result, end users can benefit from free broadband and healthcare providers, local government, businesses and communities, amongst others, can reach those who previously had no broadband connection. In the UK alone there are approximately 10 million people who currently do not have internet access.

As a result the three most common reasons that consumers lack broadband internet access, or choose not to have it, are all resolved at once - the high cost of buying a computer, the non-intuitive experience it represents and the cost and long-term contract commitment demanded by today's broadband offerings. FreeBand eliminates the need for a computer by providing an Android-enabled device that connects to the user's digital television, creating an intuitive, easily understood internet experience.

Customers use a low-cost keyboard or mouse, or even their remote control, to navigate icons displayed on the television screen through which the customer may access provider-sponsored applications. Connectivity to the internet is provided by Digital Region through its super-fast fibre broadband service.

FreeBand's first and exclusive trial with Digital Region later this year is expected to enable previously unconnected users in South Yorkshire to access commercial offerings and governmental services including video, music, news, email, telehealth, distance learning, videoconferencing and social networking.

Full article at: http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-digital-region-ltd-di...

Great idea, if it works. Although not sure how it might affect more traditional ISP business models...

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jan-11 10:14:15
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

Only content providers I see engaging in this, are ones that want your credit card details anyway

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dgp
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 12:23:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Dear XXXX
I have now checked the build schedule with Thales.
> Unfortunately your location is currently omitted from the current initial build of the project.
> As I am sure that you will understand all projects have a finite amount of funds and this project is no exception.
>
> Over and above the financial constraints there were strict parameters regarding the Network design and coverage:
>
> . The build is to achieve 80% coverage during the funded phase . There
> is the objective to reach 97% coverage; this to be funded from revenue.
> . Factors that determined the design included:
> o It is based on BT's PCP (Cabinet) infrastructure o BT PCP's served
> from Exchanges outside the S Yorkshire region to be excluded o BT
> PCP's that have less than 50 live subscribers to be excluded
>
> With the above the network coverage will unfortunately not reach your address.
>
> However it is our aspiration, funded from revenue, to achieve near to 100% coverage; This phase of the project will be looked at after June 2012.
>
> I appreciate that this response may not give you the answer that you are looking for but it is the reality of the parameters of the network that we are working under.
> Kind regards
> Lesley Statham

Info

Digital Region Limited
T: 0114 286XXXXX

This is obviously why they dropped the original post code checker which said I would get it in December 2012 so I think this means never as far as I am concerned. Interestingly Lesley is on the same Exchange as I am which seems rather odd.

You really do have to question their business model. In Sheffield they have concentrated on those areas where they are going to struggle to attract paying customers or get people to switch from Sky if they are to compete on content. They are even laying cables in areas already covered by Virgin Media. Unless the price is right, people just won't sign up and it'll become another White Elephant like Sheffield City Airport.
Standard User pob
(member) Thu 20-Jan-11 18:11:13
Print Post

[re: dgp] [link to this post]

The BT cabinet that I am connected to has just gone live on the Digital Region project (the original postcode checker said Oct 2010). I've placed an order for the service, just got to wait for an activation date.
I am lucky as a couple of the cabinet on my estate won't be upgraded until September 2012 at the earliest, but the one I am on has already been done.

--
Phil Brown, Sheffield, UK
O2 Broadband 8050/1209
Standard User pob
(member) Mon 31-Jan-11 20:13:06
Print Post

[re: pob] [link to this post]

Got connected to Digital Region today via Ripwire. A couple of early speed test results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1136402506.png

My Broadband Speed Test

Not sure why the thinkbroadband tests are coming out so much slower. Downloads from microsoft.com are coming down at 3.3MB/sec

--
Phil Brown, Sheffield, UK
O2 Broadband 8050/1209
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 31-Jan-11 20:51:58
Print Post

[re: dgp] [link to this post]

I have ha the same reply has DGP has had and i live in Stocksbrige with 7000 internet users.Looks to me that this is going belly up what a waste of money.
Standard User swampster
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 06:43:29
Print Post

[re: pob] [link to this post]

Pretty much the same experience here.. the TBB speedchecker has been reporting anything from mediocre to dire speeds for the most part in the last 3 days I've been connected to DR (via Origin Broadband). Yet speedtest.net has (after the first few hours at least) been reporting the performance to be around where I'd expect it to be (my speedwave). And downloads have been in the region of 4MB/sec

However the last few tests I've done on TBB appear to be more indicative of the performance of my connection. So not sure what's been going on...

Edited by swampster (Thu 18-Aug-11 12:55:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to