General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:15:25
Print Post

Re: FIXED WIRELESS OR SATELLITE?

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

7km of phone line 1Meg down to 0.5Meg is the right sort of figure, and not much you can do about that.

Buying into a better speed involves making the phone line shorter, i.e. paying to move phone exchange or not building house where it is.

I would if vaguely friendly try and get the attenuation and other stats, because I come across lots of people where an ISP has left them on an old half meg fixed speed product, but line might manage 1.2Meg if left to rate adapt. Downside is that the 1.2Meg might not be as stable as the 0.5Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:18:03
Print Post

At the simplest level it involves getting two outdoor antennas and pointing them at each other, the speed you get depends on distance and not having ANYTHING in the way, i.e. you need to be able to see the other end of the connection.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:26:02
Print Post

How many of you are there. AB were allegedly doing solutions for notspots but will need a minimum number.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:26:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You can always add another phone line and double the speed.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Thu 10-Mar-11 22:18:28
Print Post

it depends how far you need to send the signal

if its a small distance then its very easy, the further you have to send the signal, the more complicated it get and the more fancier the equipment gets

Two WRT54g router, two external aerials and two satellite dishes was all we needed.

Is there anywhere within line of site that could get or already has access to fast internet access
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Mar-11 23:02:08
Print Post

There was a not all that technical writeup of a DIY 'long distance' WiFi setup in The Register a few weeks back. Worth a read then you know what's involved.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/not_spot_diary/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/03/not_spot_no_...

ADSL has the potential to be a lot simpler, but looking at the Point Topic guesstimates near your postcode, your DSL speed would be poor:
http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=51.364279308166...[source]=pt-notspots (be sure to click on notspots/slowspots, pasting the link here loses that option?)
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 08:52:05
Print Post

DIY fixed wireless is not as hard as it sounds.

Most important thing is to establish somewhere that (a) you can get a decent adsl signal at and (b) would be prepared to "host" it for you and (c) has direct, unimpeded line of sight to your home.

Note that I did not include "and is close" to that list. Equipment is easily available (from us and other sources) that can (legally) do 10km line of sight.

If you are interested to learn more then feel free to pm me.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham
=======================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Fri 11-Mar-11 10:37:41
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Thank you all for the replies and info - and PM sent!

Cheers
Standard User kijoma
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:17:22
Print Post

Hi,

Sorry to hear you felt you coud not get through. You or somebody representing your enquiry spoke to our office staff and we said we would take a look at your requirement and get back to you when we had an answer.

As you can tell from our mapping, we currently do not have any coverage/infrastructure in your area. Our checks show we could readily provide a service there if we had the time and resource free to install a new network.

Unfortunately for your area, we have already filled this years planned expansion quota.

We choose which areas to expand to next initially based on the level of demand we receive on our "contact us" form, followed by the response we get from those enquiries when it comes to deciding.

Next year we will do the same again so I can only suggest as many people register their interest in the area so when it comes to it they are on or near the top of the list.

Cheers - Bill - Kijoma Broadband

In reply to a post by trumpet272:
I tried AB internet actually a few days ago, it sounded great but they are not in my area.

Kijoma seem to be the only ones but I can't get through.

Thanks all.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User wayneandleanne
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-11 09:31:07
Print Post

go and speak to he.net (huricane electric) will do you a 100meg connection for £100 ish per month, but the install side of it you may have to figure out yourself
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to