General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joelm335
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-11 15:53:31
Print Post

Re: Satellite BB speeds and limits in Scotland

[re: HySpeedBroadband] [link to this post]

>>You also have to look into usage costs. for extra Gb's if you go over the usage level you could see a large increase in your monthly bill.

I checked this with Avanti. Apparently once you start to get near your usage limit they simply slow/shut down your connection so you can't exceed it.

My biggest concern with Avanti is I don't understand how why the new Satellite they are proposing to REDUCE my data limits from 10Gb to 6Gb. You'd think with more advanced technology they would be increased. That's not a huge problem at the moment since we have been using a lot less than that, but with the faster speeds we might want to download more.

I'm surprised that Avanti's monthly bill doesn't give any details of data dowloaded - I had to email them and all they could do was to send me a table with our usage for the 6 months to March 2011 (i.e. with the old satellite!). With two laptops and two iphones, I am not sure what the best way is to keep tabs on our usage.

Joel
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-11 16:30:39
Print Post

[re: joelm335] [link to this post]

When i mentioned the Gb usage it was mainly to the KU-band operators without naming names. some charge up to £15 a Gb over the limit. on a data plan of only 4 Gb's with children it is very hard to monitor.

Having worked with Avanti and still working with them prices have been changed recently in order to compete with the likes of Tooway etc. The new satellite is costly to run and Avanti have only just gone into owning a satellite so they are probably still trying to work out the fine details. But what i have learned it Avanti and it's partners use a lower contention ratio and the upload speeds are quicker and more consistent due to this.

As for monitoring your own usage we have our own way to monitor how much you use, and we are currently giving customers use of software which monitors usage.

doing a quick Google uncovers lots of software that does it. Have a quick research into free software which is well used. or post Something in the Think broadband forum and i am sure someone will have a program for you.

Hope this helps, Glad to see a user of Avanti on here.

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Twitter: HySpeedBB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Dec-11 17:18:23
Print Post

Hi Joel,

Looking at the poster aboves website, It looks as though they are selling Avanti, and are probably biased in their comments hence why they assure you it is the best system. As already mentioned Tooway are waiving the hardware cost on some packages, so I am not sure how the quoted states hardware from Tooway is still expensive.

Good luck

MS.

In reply to a post by HySpeedBroadband:
Hi Joel.

satellite internet can be very confusing, when i first learned about it I saw tooway doing a cheap price and my thinking was, why is everyone not with them?

The things tooway don't show are the contention ratios and the contract length + their hardware costs are still quite high. typically the ratios will be 1:300...whereas other satellite providers who may be a little more expensive are only 1:25 this will give a much better speed during peak periods.

You also have to look into usage costs. for extra Gb's if you go over the usage level you could see a large increase in your monthly bill.

Take a look at upload speeds. these cost more than download. so a cheap rate which shows a fast connection can seem a good deal with but with a low upload speed as well as a high contention ratio your speeds are not going to be to great.

I think the problem with a lot of satellite companies are they are know you have no other way of having a connection so they try and get the most out of you, when really they should be trying to solve a problem and keeping the customers who they have happy. That's my theory anyway.

Have a look around at other companies their are a lot out there. Avanti's KA-band is more reliable and if you already have the equipment your saving yourself a lot of money.

Goof Luck!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 06-Dec-11 08:22:11
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There is being biased and giving educated advice, you can ask the companies who use Avanti rather than Tooway. We have had customers ring up directly asking for Avanti as it is seen as a professional system.

Hardware costs are always expencive for systems if you already have an Avanti system that cost is gone. Out of curiosity is it a 'Hughes satellite dish'?

if you are starting out fresh then you have to weight up the benefits. and weather it is for gernal e-mail and surfing or if you want to skype etc where bandwidth is needed a system which provides a lower contention ratio may be better.

Sorry if i come across biased in anyway, do some research and have a look at different companies.

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Dec-11 20:56:43
Print Post

Who am I to argue, but I am not sure this is strictly true. Judging by the capacity of the satellites and the proposed number of users for each, it would make more sense that Tooway would be using a lower contention. I would like to know Tooways answer to your comments regarding their contention being 300 to 1 as apposed to Avanti 25 to 1.

In the long run, I'd be highly surprised if any current satellite service provided contention of 25 to 1, however if this was true, the consumer would almost certainly be paying top dollar for it.

Back to the point though.

Joel,
As Hyspeed states, considering that you already have the Hylas dish in place, if you are not happy, I would go back to the company and try to barter a better deal, stating you are unhappy with the minimal upgrade. Perhaps try using a list of deals offered by their own resellers?
Or another option, provided you haven't signed up for another 12/18 months contract, maybe you could migrate towards a reseller? Perhaps Hyspeed can offer a better deal for simular price?

Good luck

In reply to a post by HySpeedBroadband:
When i mentioned the Gb usage it was mainly to the KU-band operators without naming names. some charge up to £15 a Gb over the limit. on a data plan of only 4 Gb's with children it is very hard to monitor.

Having worked with Avanti and still working with them prices have been changed recently in order to compete with the likes of Tooway etc. The new satellite is costly to run and Avanti have only just gone into owning a satellite so they are probably still trying to work out the fine details. But what i have learned it Avanti and it's partners use a lower contention ratio and the upload speeds are quicker and more consistent due to this.

As for monitoring your own usage we have our own way to monitor how much you use, and we are currently giving customers use of software which monitors usage.

doing a quick Google uncovers lots of software that does it. Have a quick research into free software which is well used. or post Something in the Think broadband forum and i am sure someone will have a program for you.

Hope this helps, Glad to see a user of Avanti on here.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Dec-11 21:13:50
Print Post

Also worth bearing in mind it is not just the satellite that may be the capacity limit, where the data is beamed down to earth and goes onto a fibre link, the capacity on this will not be free.

Not enough actual users are posting about the experience to form a decent idea of how the services appear, but I do know one person who got a lot lower than the 4Meg upload they had hoped for.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-11 14:57:29
Print Post

Just found this quick info sheet online, comparing tooway and hylas systems.

http://www.broadband-anywhere.com/compare-providers....

this company sell both systems, so cannot be biased either way.

It may help to read what they say...

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Aug-12 08:51:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
We live in a remote location on west coast of Scotland, running a small tourism business with internet provided by Avanti (£46 per month for 25GB ex VAT) at the moment. Trouble is that as our guests get more reliant on wifi, we are using up the data limit before the end of the month.

I am having to look for alternative supplier. We have been offered Tooway 18mbps, 6 mbps download and 50gb download limit for £59.95 per month by Network Scotland with a installation cost of £275 - a new disc would be required. (So double the data download for £14 more a month).

Since the new Avanti satellite was installed last year, I have been happy with consistent & reliable internet connection, though it is v expensive.

Please could you explain what you mean in your comment about 'contention' as I dont understand what that means. Many thanks. Also any experience of using Tooway service would be good also!!
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 25-Aug-12 15:51:30
Print Post

Contention is fairly easy to explain; for every 'n' users that can connect at 10mbit, they might purchase only 'y' in capacity. The assumption being that you would not all be trying to transfer data at once.

For example, at 50:1 contention, the satellite might have 10mbit to share between 50 different users. With fairly tight usage limits it's a reasonable guess that not all of them would be using the system at once.

This is essential for residential and small business services; connections (even in the city on a leased line, where remote location doesn't add a price premium) are very expensive for a dedicated private link for only your use - few hundred quid per month for 2mbit!

Hope that this helps you understand this at least. For your specific needs, you might like to look into whether you would like to block specific services & therefore get a router that can do this. For arguments sake, I'll bet you could save a few GB by blocking Youtube and iPlayer. OK sure some people can get around a simplistic block, but there'll be equally as many that cannot - thus saving you digging deep for someone to burn a few GB on iPlayer HD! Or you can spend more to allow your guests unfettered usage; I'd say that's more of a business decision on your part than a technical decision that we can make here.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 25-Aug-12 18:30:09
Print Post

[re: joelm335] [link to this post]

Hi there

You say there's no 3G coverage
Nearly everyone I know who says this actually has SOME coverage from one of the operators
The operators all use different masts so often o2 may have nothing whereas Talkmobile might etc
Mobile companies are spending over 1 million a day often so things change very quickly

If you send me your post code I can look into it for you & find out exactly. You can PM me it smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to