General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:50:28
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahh right i see. I'm guessing unlike FTTC the 80 and 40 speeds will not be affected by length ? If i was to order the 40Mbps package i would get the 40. Way leave? Whats that. we would have access to a fibre enabled cabinet which is about 5km away.
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 11:12:25
Print Post

Why does it show at the end of that link only 60Mbps? I thought they had FTTP the speed would be pretty much maximum due to the line being completely fibre?
Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 04-Nov-15 11:42:42
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

I am in the fortunate position of being on native FTTP on an 80Mbps package and get an actual download speed of 72Mbps. Others would have to explain why, presumably overheads of some sort. The main thing is my internet is so much better than it was that difference is of no consequence.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 12:18:07
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Awesome 72Mbps would be amazing, yeah i've read online that FTTP isn't affected by distance. I live about 10km from my exchange and 5km away from my fibre cabinet. I think most people in my village would be opting for the infinity 2 package BT offers. My current download speed is 0.47Mbps and my next door neighbor gets 0.22Mbps!! We're willing to do anything to get FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 12:33:27
Print Post

Easy

Person testing obviously only ordered the up to 76 Mbps Infinity 1 service.
The screen shot is also from an iPhone (not sure which model e.g. older ones will be slower) so test is over Wi-Fi.

We are seeing the vast majority buying the up to 40 or up to 80 Mbps services even in areas where FTTP is available, and even when Gigaclear and Hyperoptic roll-out to an area many opt for the lower speed packages, to save a few pound per month.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 12:35:51
Print Post

Wayleave - a legal document detailing the rights of a utility firm to dig up land at a future date to fix a fault.

The FTTP products connect at the speed you buy, so you buy a 40 Mbps service and the maximum speed test will be 38 Mbps due to the way that protocols carrying the traffic are formed of layers with some small inefficiencies as you convert between the different layers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-15 13:08:08
Print Post

Why does it show at the end of that link only 60Mbps? I thought they had FTTP the speed would be pretty much maximum due to the line being completely fibre?

I would guess the speed would be limited by what specific product that customer had purchased from their chosen ISP.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-15 13:15:26
Print Post

we would have access to a fibre enabled cabinet which is about 5km away.

But it is more than likely that the cabinet isn't where your fibre would need to be fed from.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-15 13:15:53
Print Post

Interesting link, thank you.

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 14:07:35
Print Post

Ahh right i see, that makes sense. Thanks for all the replies, you've been very useful
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to