General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Nov-15 19:18:04
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Existing telephone poles can be used for fibre, but not if they are dual utility poles carrying electricity supply too, and in the height the cable crosses the road is to the old standard the poles may need replacing to ensure the cabling crosses any roads at the new mandated height.

The lightweight fibre in tubes is most common in Cornwall but now in lots of other places around the UK too.

As for crossing road, if its ducting and none is already present then its dig the road up time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-15 20:10:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I believe my current copper cables are the only ones on the poles, my electricity comes in on different poles, is it possible to pin the cables yourself or would openreach have to do it? if so i can see this being more costly than ducting, also i'm guessing the lightweight fibre would be more expensive
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-15 20:49:17
Print Post

Openreach would do the pole work and actual cabling , or their contractor.

Edited by Ribble (Fri 06-Nov-15 20:50:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Fri 18-Dec-15 16:25:23
Print Post

Openreach are not going to let you do any work to their network yourself. They will not let you hang cables from their poles.

They also won't let you install a fibre line/trench to their cabinet and give yourself FTTP.

If you want it, they will do the work for you, for an incredible price (the £375,000 you were quoted earlier in this thread seems about right) but they won't let you deploy your own FTTP.

You might be able to persuade them to supply FTTC to a weatherproof locked box next to the cabinet, then put your own router and fibre connection in that which you trench to your house. As far as they are concerned they would just be doing a provide to the box. What you do your side of the demarcation is up to you.

FTTPoD has been discontinued for now though, so you're unlikely to get FTTP, even if your box is a meter from the cabinet.

They would also supply a leased line to a box, you could then run whatever behind that, but leased lines are not cheap.

What you are suggesting is like saying to Ford that you really want a Mondeo but it seems too expensive, your mate has a welder, so can you please come visit their factory with your own bits of metal and your mates welder and make a Mondeo using their production line. They would tell you "No" in no uncertain terms.

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 18-Dec-15 16:28:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to