General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 04-Nov-15 20:43:19
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The cost very much depends on where the cable is laid.

Where I live, when Gigaclear lay a fibre cable across a field, or round the edge they just dig a trench a couple of feet deep and lay the cable in it. This can be done quite quickly with a digger. They only use ducts under roads.

The cable has the fibres in it. They did not use blown fibre. Joining the fibre looks quite time consuming, and I suspect the cable layout keeps the number of joints to a minimum.

The installation work was done by two teams. Wingnut who laid the cables, and Boxcom who did the joints, installed and commioned the electronics. There was a Gigaclear project manager who planned the layout and got the wayleaves.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:15:57
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Potentially yes you could have 2 Gbps and once the next GPON standard XGPON roll-outs that will increase.

But to manage contention they usually use slower speeds, so the maximum download today on FTTP from Openreach is 300 Mbps (others do can do Gigabit and some in Japan run it at 2 Gbps)

So yes across the fibre segment the guarantee will depend on the split but unless you are paying a few hundred per month or more per month each you will NOT get 1 Gbps guaranteed to the Internet anyway.

Contention is what makes consumer broadband cheap, otherwise you are into the leased line 1:1 contention pricing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:18:59
Print Post

Given the amount of work already under way I would say a year is optimistic, just warning so you can manage responses, there is a lot of FTTP in the pipeline for areas like Wales that will keep the build teams very busy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:24:56
Print Post

Yeah i know BT only offer 330Mbps currently smile So does splitting the fibre decrease the speed? what speed could i expect if the single fibre is split into 15 for the 15 houses?
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:26:26
Print Post

Yeah i figured it could take some time. Thanks for the reply
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:30:17
Print Post

GPON means rather than 300 individual fibres needing to be carried all the way back to the handover point to the providers, only a few are needed.

The speed you could expect if you buy the 300 Mbps connection speed product is 300 Mbps, but there is a possibility that at peak times the speed will be less and will depend on what everyone else is doing.

If this limitation is not good enough then you need to talk to a Point to Point fibre provider like Gigaclear

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:39:31
Print Post

Ahh right i see, no i think 300Mbps would be more than enough and if in the future that could rise to 2.5Gbps that would make it very future proof. Considering i'm currently on 0.50Mbs. 300Mbps i could download about 135Gb per hour which is ridiculous as i can only download about 200Mb per hour currently!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:42:41
Print Post

The NFU and CLA had an agreement with BT over the wayleave rental costs, which differed slightly, depending on the way the copper was used (core network, exchange -> cabinet, cabinet -> DP, DP -> home).

IIRC, the standard annual rental charge (paid by BT to the landowner) was £500 per km for exchange -> cabinet cabling.

Extra charges for each underground jointbox. IIRC, B4RN put these about every 500m - but they were blowing fibre into the ducts.

I recall calculating the impact on B4RN if their core routes couldn't be done with free wayleaves: it came out as adding around one-third to everyone's monthly costs. Obviously worth doing the community-building part here!

That Fell End page was good. I hadn't seen it before, and hadn't realised how much private trenching they'd done. Did it all get handed over to BT at completion of the project?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:49:56
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Believe it was handed over

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Nov-15 21:54:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeJG:
Yeah i know BT only offer 330Mbps currently smile So does splitting the fibre decrease the speed? what speed could i expect if the single fibre is split into 15 for the 15 houses?

I think BT are aiming for splits of no more than 32 homes from one fibre.

When BT sell you an FTTx package, you buy a headline speed (eg up to 80Mbps) and an prioritised speed (eg up to 30Mbps), although no-one really talks about it. The prioritised speed seems to be the one BT will target if things are getting congested.

You could think of it as a 30Mbps package, with burst speeds of 80Mbps possible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to