General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-15 22:19:14
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Where I live, when Gigaclear lay a fibre cable across a field, or round the edge they just dig a trench a couple of feet deep and lay the cable in it. This can be done quite quickly with a digger. They only use ducts under roads.

Really ? How very slipshod of them, if time has taught Openreach anything, it's that inducted UG runs are a recipe for disaster.

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 22:30:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I believe there is 15 premises in my village that would need connected, so we would just need to buy a single fibre from the fibre cabinet which is 5km away and bring that to the center of the village to a splitter node and then each person would need to pay for a fibre cable to there premises? Is that how it would work?
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 22:35:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Cool, thanks for the reply. Shouldn't the cable be ducted the whole way? alot of people have started using mole plough for deploying the ducting.The way leavers shouldn't take too long as my farm owns like 2km of the 5km distance to the fibre cabinet smileand my dad knows the other land owners.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 23:02:43
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

You never install a single strand as fibre is delicate and can break, so fibre cables come in various sizes of multiple fibres

The final drop from the distribution point to the home is covered by the £99 install fee each person who orders pays. The final drop is usually fairly short so a lot depends on the actual arrangement on the ground

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 04-Nov-15 23:19:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeJG:
Cool, thanks for the reply. Shouldn't the cable be ducted the whole way? alot of people have started using mole plough for deploying the ducting.The way leavers shouldn't take too long as my farm owns like 2km of the 5km distance to the fibre cabinet smileand my dad knows the other land owners.

I am telling you what I have seen Gigaclear do. Digging a trench in a field is not that difficult or expensive. If ducts are used, the cable has to be pulled through the ducts. You could ask B4RN what they have done.

As a different point, you need to work out exactly how the back haul would work and cost.

Gigaclear use Genexis equipment both in the home and the cabinet.. You could ask B4RN what they do.

How many properties could you possibly connect, and how many would sign up?

Michael Chare
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Wed 04-Nov-15 23:20:09
Print Post

I have pm you regarding your requirement --
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 05-Nov-15 12:08:44
Print Post

Mike

If you only have 15 premises to connect you are correct FTTP would be better than a FTTC Cabinet. A Cab would usually serve a minimum of 96 customers so would 'waste' a lot of capacity, whereas the Final FTTP splitter would serve up to 32 customers and doesn't need powering so s cheaper option IF FTTP has already been provided in the head end exchange. Which village is it and someone will be able to say whether there is FTTP in the area. ( Otherwise the cost of the FTTP head-end would add quite a bit to the cost but could be used for other clusters of customers in the same area).

The fibre you would run to the village would be a fibre cable with multiple fibres in it. These are standard sizes and the smallest may be 8 fibres. The unused ones would be available for other clusters en-route or as spares if something happened to the working one ( usually a pair are used).
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-15 14:47:53
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I see. My exchange is aspatria in cumbria. How much would FTTP head end cost roughly. Also why does it need to be FTTP enables, most of my village would just be buying the infinity 2 package that bt offers.

Edited by MikeJG (Thu 05-Nov-15 16:23:25)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-15 19:23:50
Print Post

Also why does it need to be FTTP enables

It doesn't. Woukd just need to build the FTTP network from an aggregation node ( not the Fibre cab), which incidentally does not need to serve the same FTTC cab as your pcp is connected to, or even be in the same exchange area, which could change the financials considerably especially if your near the edge of your exchange area.

Edited by Ribble (Thu 05-Nov-15 19:32:18)

Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-15 20:26:54
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Ahh right i see (kinda i am new to all this so i'm just getting use to all this new terminology). How do i find out where the aggregation node is?

Edited by MikeJG (Thu 05-Nov-15 20:31:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to