General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(newbie) Fri 06-Nov-15 10:35:32
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre options for my village? FTTdp/G.Fast?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So if i want FTTP where would i need to dig to?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Nov-15 10:46:53
Print Post

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Where Openreach say you need to

Usually the point that is an existing aggregation node, in short to find out where you need to start entering into the formal processes via the Openreach website.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-15 10:49:53
Print Post

Mike

No you would have to dig to the aggregation node, this is 'usually' in a roadside cable chamber and there will be one somewhere around Aspartia as it is where the FTTC cabinets serving the village will connnect to the fibre network back to Wigton.

However there may be a closer one in the direction of Wigton depending on which village ( Hamlet) you are in. I could spot several potentials for your location on the Broadband map (From home page on this site) but they are on different isdes of Aspatia.

The aggregation node has connectivity all the way back to the headend where the 'contol' of the different services come from.

Openreach will be able to tell you where the aggregation nodes are sited so you could then pick the easiest one to reach. ( Digging across Aspartia to one on the other side may/will be harder than a further distance only through fields.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-15 11:13:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Alright thanks for the help. I live at sunderland near bothel. I never realised that you could choose the closest aggregation node and dig to that.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-15 11:17:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Alright. I dont think i will be the one who will be leading our prjoect, it will be someone from our local parish council.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-15 11:25:39
Print Post

Mike

I suspect there may be an aggregation node in Plumbland or Threapland as there is someone with FTTC in Threapland and there is 'usually' an Aggreagtion node near a cabinet.

This wouldn't be far at all, otherwise the next likely spot is near the exchange by Aspartia Station. But only OR can tell you exactly where they are.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-15 11:31:26
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Yeah well thats what i was thinking, if you see the map area from sunderland to moota my farm owns all of that land apart from 1 field. And he knows all of the landowners up to plumbland, so way leaves shouldn't be a problem. Also Bothel will have FTTC by the end of the year, so could there possibly be a aggregation node there? Like i said to MrSaffron i dont think i will be leading our project, i will probably leave that up to this person on the local parish council. I'll get him to email openreach asap

Edited by MikeJG (Fri 06-Nov-15 11:34:23)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Nov-15 14:59:21
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I suppose we will just have to wait and see what 25 years 'life' does to it.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Nov-15 17:57:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeJG:
I believe there is 15 premises in my village that would need connected, so we would just need to buy a single fibre from the fibre cabinet which is 5km away and bring that to the center of the village to a splitter node and then each person would need to pay for a fibre cable to there premises? Is that how it would work?

Kind of. The money spent won't really be in terms of "one fibre from x to y". It is more about getting a single cable, with multiple fibres, from x to y. Some fibres for service, some for expansion, and some spare for breakages.

BT have been playing with their design of FTTP-on-Demand, trying to make it cheaper to deploy. With that design, the plan for your village would likely depend on how many poles (or chambers) are needed to supply the 15 premises.

I could see them coming up with a design where they put an 8-way splitter back at the aggregation node, and using 4 fibres from that splitter for service to your village. The 4 fibres might be carried in a cable of 12 fibres, or of 24 fibres (they seem to come in multiples of 12). Or perhaps in 4 separate cables in the duct.

On arrival in your village, they could install 4 separate 4-way splitters on different poles - each pole then providing service to 4 properties.

Then each person would pay for the connection from the pole to the home.

On the other hand, they might decide that there is scope for the fibre to your village to be an extension to the spine, with a future plan to go beyond your village to the next one. That could change plans around.
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-15 18:19:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks alot for the reply. Yeah i think my village would be the last village they'd be deploying from. If we place the splitter node to the back of the village in one of my fields, the cables wouldn't have to travel too far to each premises, but if we were to position the 4 splitter nodes into 4 different locations the fibre to from the splitter to the house would only be like 25m for each property, not sure if you can do that though. Do you know how you go about getting ducting under roads? if the aggregation node is near the fibre cabinet the ducting would have to travel under 1 road to the splitter node. Also can you use existing poles for fibre? I read about some lightweight fibre down in cornwall, i can see using existing poles being cheaper and potentially reducin the distance from the splitter nodes to each house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to