General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grey_Goshawk
(newbie) Thu 04-Apr-19 13:10:50
Print Post

Why are OpenReach's FTTP upload speeds so low?

[link to this post]

Compared to the other fibre providers Openreach seem to offer quite minimal upload speeds. Especially with providers giving symmetric in a lot.of places.

Any ideas why this is the case? Is it technical or just a business decision?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Apr-19 13:17:51
Print Post

Re: Why are OpenReach's FTTP upload speeds so low?

[re: Grey_Goshawk] [link to this post]

GPON

2.5 Gbps downstream and 1.25 Gbps is shared, usually in the Openreach GPON between 32 premises.

So yes could do higher upstream but a choice was made to not do so. If its important there is the 1000 down/220 up version using XGPON

Most providers doing symmetry use point to point, but for those doing GPON they may hit a point where public moans that uploading is contending heavily.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doowles
(regular) Thu 04-Apr-19 13:27:51
Print Post

[re: Grey_Goshawk] [link to this post]

I think its more to do with not cannibalising their leased line market which has symmetric speeds.

------------------------------------------------------------
(

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 04-Apr-19 13:34:20
Print Post

[re: doowles] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doowles:
I think its more to do with not cannibalising their leased line market which has symmetric speeds.

I'd 100% Agree with that

GityFibre will happily sell a 1000/1000 GPON line either Via Vodafone or via their business ISP's because even though GPON does have a theoretical lower upload, most consumers (and businesses) don't use anywhere near as much upload as down, so the contention is far less important.

I run a WISP in NE Scotland and we see a roughly 9:1 split in traffic between Download and Upload
  Print Thread

Jump to