User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamesx2
(newbie) Fri 17-Dec-10 17:47:32
Print Post

More first impressions of Xilo

[link to this post]

Another UKOnline customer (16Mb/1Mb) forced to find another ISP thanks to their closure. Been a customer for about 4 days ago far.

Was tempted by their lack of traffic shaping. I'm an avid WOW player and some ISPs mistake their traffic for P2P after a major content release which basically puts them at the "back of the latency queue" - leaving the game unplayable. Ofc their forum presence here and positive... image helped decide it too.

The migration (Pro 16 Office) was remarkably smooth - about 30 minutes of downtime... and even with 8ms interleaving (was on fastpath with UKOnline) my latency is a lot lower than it was.

But then my connection to the net started "randomly" disconnecting me.

After five years of custom with UKOnline, this was a bit surprising since I'd only ever experienced disconnections when the local exchange had an outage (about 3-4 times). It later turned out that I was being disconnected everytime someone phoned my landline (and believe me, it's only ever telemarketing people trying to flog me mobile phones - or elderly relatives). Might have been other occasions too - but I could pretty reliably disconnect myself by phoning my landline.

I know what you're thinking - microfilters - but I use a a faceplate on the Master socket which splits the signal at the source - and just for [censored] and giggles, the extension has another filter on it too. Same gear I used on UKOnline, didn't change a thing but the login and password on my router.

The biggest irritation was the support line that's closed on weekends and after 5pm UK time. The online support is "okay" but it's frustrating to have conversations that are staggered every 4 hours or so.

They've suggested that maybe my upload speed is too high - but I'm reasonably certain that I had this level on UKOnline (although maybe not exactly 1Mbit). So now my upload is going to be capped to 512 because apparently C&W don't support a 768kbit profile. That extra 256kbit was important to me frown

Edited by jamesx2 (Fri 17-Dec-10 17:54:42)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Dec-10 18:11:30
Print Post

Re: More first impressions of Xilo

[re: jamesx2] [link to this post]

The disconnection issue is very frustrating and one that C&W are working to resolve but still appears to be an issue on some lines - we have yet to find any similarity between people that have it and ones that don't.

The biggest irritation was the support line that's closed on weekends and after 5pm UK time. The online support is "okay" but it's frustrating to have conversations that are staggered every 4 hours or so.

Apart from when we were waiting for C&W to run some diagnostic testing, all replies bar one (of just over an hour), have been within 5 minutes of your update. Can you advise if you have another ticket open from the single one on the account under another address?

I know that C&W are running software upgrades around the country currently and will see if I can get further information on what this may fix, if anything.

Just to add, even though our phones end at 5pm - we answer emails around the clock including weekends.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Fri 17-Dec-10 18:12:50)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Dec-10 18:30:12
Print Post

I am migrating over on the 29th and its to tiscali where xilo have more control on the dslam. We were spoilt on ukonline, I also expect to lose stability but at least on tiscali xilo will have more power to help if needed. Losing SRA from ukonline is the killer on this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djay
(committed) Tue 28-Dec-10 10:28:14
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Well i sent "Xilo" a message asking them to tell me the following

"440
Subject: difference btw pro16 home and pro16 office ?
Department: General
"

Sent on the 22nd of 12 and still no reply, seriously doubting i wanna spend my money on a company that can't even be botherd to answer a simple question not a good start.

And to find out you have to pay for there stupidly overpriced pro24 package just to get a chance of Fastpath is very very cheeky and then to find after paying so much more than my uko account ever was it has a cap of 75gb per month ?!? taking liberties tbh.

But alas Be cant be bother to sort out extra capacity at my exchange so i have no other choice looks like it'll have to be these cowboys untill i can actually get a local hub here or be expand capacity, not a good start not good at all.

Btw how hard is it for you to actually publish the difference btwn

pro16 home and pro16 office ?? they look identicle apart from the price so maybe thats why it's taking so long to answer my ticket as your as confused as i am????.

And why show the home inc of vat yet the other 2 office and pr24 exc vat ? talk about make u jump though hoops.

Edited by djay (Tue 28-Dec-10 10:30:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Dec-10 10:42:25
Print Post

[re: djay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by djay:
And to find out you have to pay for there stupidly overpriced pro24 package just to get a chance of Fastpath is very very cheeky and then to find after paying so much more than my uko account ever was it has a cap of 75gb per month ?!? taking liberties tbh.

But alas Be cant be bother to sort out extra capacity at my exchange so i have no other choice looks like it'll have to be these cowboys untill i can actually get a local hub here or be expand capacity, not a good start not good at all
Whilst perhaps you should have had a reply, I wonder how many small quality outfits are dealing urgently with sales requests rather than providing emergency help to people with problems over this period?

How did you send the message?

Re the quote above tongue. How very odd that these "stupidly overpriced" over-priced "cowboys" can continue to offer a decent service when the straight-forward honest Sky-owned UKOnline are being closed down, the only possible reason being they aren't making enough profit, and Be for whatever reason won't supply additional capacity at your exchange. That could either be it isn't profitable for them to do so or there isn't physical space.

Sounds a bit to me as though you just had a bad day smile.

And by the way, there are several reports of xilo/uno speeds and latency being noticeably better for people who have moved from UKOnline than they were with them. I wonder if it's to do with price?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Dec-10 12:47:41)

Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Tue 28-Dec-10 12:31:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, it's nothing to do with price, just where you happen to be located in relation to a PoP.

Expecting an immediate response from Xilo/Uno during the Christmas holidays is a bit silly. smile
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Dec-10 13:43:25
Print Post

Sent on the 22nd of 12 and still no reply, seriously doubting i wanna spend my money on a company that can't even be botherd to answer a simple question not a good start.

I'm sorry, but as has been pointed out, there has been a Christmas break and we're in no rush to deal with sales queries. Sorry.

And to find out you have to pay for there stupidly overpriced pro24 package just to get a chance of Fastpath is very very cheeky

Why? Every ISP will offer different services, with different prices. If you're not keen on one, you can always go for a cheaper option. No one is forcing you.

and then to find after paying so much more than my uko account ever was it has a cap of 75gb per month ?!? taking liberties tbh.

Not really. That is the product. We have to pay for the amount of capacity used across Tiscali Wholesale backhaul, just like we do with BT Wholesale. This is why you wont find a truly unmetered BT-based ISP.

But alas Be cant be bother to sort out extra capacity at my exchange so i have no other choice looks like it'll have to be these cowboys untill i can actually get a local hub here or be expand capacity, not a good start not good at all.

With that attitude, I don't think you should join us. You seem to be against every ISP you have posted about in this thread stating "Be cant be bother[ed]" - when it may just be impossible to do so, ala Poplar exchange and calling us "cowboys" could be seen as a libellous comment.

pro16 home and pro16 office ?? they look identicle apart from the price so maybe thats why it's taking so long to answer my ticket as your as confused as i am????.
You've obviously been on here for a while, enough to post this... and this has been discussed many times. It's contention 50:1 Home, 20:1 Office.

And why show the home inc of vat yet the other 2 office and pr24 exc vat ? talk about make u jump though hoops.

Because some are home services and some are office services. Most offices will be VAT registered, where as home users (generally), won't be.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Dec-10 13:52:18
Print Post

I pity your next ISP!

Sky

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Standard User djay
(committed) Tue 28-Dec-10 14:39:10
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Finguz:
I pity your next ISP!
#

Your with sky so you got the isp you deserved anyway enjoy your overseas call center.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Dec-10 17:02:28
Print Post

Re: More first impressions of Xilo *DELETED*

Post deleted by tommy45
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Dec-10 17:09:12
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Post deleted by tommy45
Heh! And there was me just going to Reply showing he is with Sky.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User djay
(committed) Tue 28-Dec-10 17:09:17
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:

I'm sorry, but as has been pointed out, there has been a Christmas break and we're in no rush to deal with sales queries. Sorry.

And to find out you have to pay for there stupidly overpriced pro24 package just to get a chance of Fastpath is very very cheeky

Why? Every ISP will offer different services, with different prices. If you're not keen on one, you can always go for a cheaper option. No one is forcing you.

and then to find after paying so much more than my uko account ever was it has a cap of 75gb per month ?!? taking liberties tbh.

Not really. That is the product. We have to pay for the amount of capacity used across Tiscali Wholesale backhaul, just like we do with BT Wholesale. This is why you wont find a truly unmetered BT-based ISP.

With that attitude, I don't think you should join us. You seem to be against every ISP you have posted about in this thread stating "Be cant be bother[ed]" - when it may just be impossible to do so, ala Poplar exchange and calling us "cowboys" could be seen as a libellous comment.

You've obviously been on here for a while, enough to post this... and this has been discussed many times. It's contention 50:1 Home, 20:1 Office.

Because some are home services and some are office services. Most offices will be VAT registered, where as home users (generally), won't be.

Matt

Yes i am a tad grumpy so to all those i offended i'm sorry flu+ christmas + urgant needs for new isp = something i could do withought.

And yes i have been on here a long time but never needed to look into this forum as i had an outstanding isp with a serious backhaul which virtually never failed.

Although this made me chuckle

"I'm sorry, but as has been pointed out, there has been a Christmas break and we're in no rush to deal with sales queries. Sorry"

Thats an awesome buissness model no rush to gain customers, christmas was on the 25th incase you had forgot my query was on the 22nd.. I would of asked via phone but having waited 17 minutes in a cue or was there only 1 person answering call's as you don't seem to be in a rush as you stated to deal with sale queries ?

And no i am not against every isp just grumpy and with no real options of anything that can compare to uko.

All i wanted is what seems to be in short measure in this country as a general rule of thumb i.e Customer service, people had said yours was second to none well i have recieved none hence i had to post on here instead of having my email replied to, or to make life easier why not just actually put the stuff on the web page if so many people have asked the question ?.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Dec-10 17:16:38
Print Post

As I have said before, *customers* that pay us for a service are always given priority over non-paying people/businesses that may be looking for a service - I don't see anything wrong with that and operating the other way is unfair.

Christmas break is not one day it is often a period ranging from Christmas Eve to the next working day (i.e tomorrow) and then New Years Eve to the next working day (i.e 4th Jan).

When did you call? I've checked our queue stats for 21st and 22nd and the longest a sales call waited was 4 minutes.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Dec-10 18:24:01
Print Post

I was with UNO before I moved to Sky and they are the nicest bunch of guys you are ever likely to do business with. Happily taking time to talk to their customers and fully understanding their products. If you could get over this attitude thing you have going on and swallow that pride, you would be as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Edit: Your Sky comment? The network is solid, gaming is stellar, it's truly unlimited with full speed 24/7 and both times I've phoned tech support I have spoken to British staff ( one Irish and one Scottish). The router has been connected since we joined and all for £15 per month.

You must love the taste of your feet!

Sky

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Edited by Finguz (Tue 28-Dec-10 18:34:24)

Standard User djay
(committed) Wed 29-Dec-10 13:19:03
Print Post

As I have said before, *customers* that pay us for a service are always given priority over non-paying people/businesses that may be looking for a service - I don't see anything wrong with that and operating the other way is unfair.

Christmas break is not one day it is often a period ranging from Christmas Eve to the next working day (i.e tomorrow) and then New Years Eve to the next working day (i.e 4th Jan).

When did you call? I've checked our queue stats for 21st and 22nd and the longest a sales call waited was 4 minutes.

Matt

To be honest with you i can't 100 % say the date although it would be btwn the 20th to the 22nd which is why i sent the email.

And obviously i appreciate christmas is not an open shut day that goes withought saying allthough again i assume you shut christmas eve like most company's so 2 day's is still a long time for a sales question to be answered but no matter.
Standard User djay
(committed) Wed 29-Dec-10 13:27:32
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Finguz:
I was with UNO before I moved to Sky and they are the nicest bunch of guys you are ever likely to do business with. Happily taking time to talk to their customers and fully understanding their products. If you could get over this attitude thing you have going on and swallow that pride, you would be as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Edit: Your Sky comment? The network is solid, gaming is stellar, it's truly unlimited with full speed 24/7 and both times I've phoned tech support I have spoken to British staff ( one Irish and one Scottish). The router has been connected since we joined and all for £15 per month.

You must love the taste of your feet!

And you can have fast path on your line with sky can you ?

Stellar to some is not the same to others, ive had adsl since 2000 i was one of the first connections to dsl in my city and have had the same story of various isp's during my time.

As posted distance to the local pop makes all the difference with latency, i have a line that manages to do 3.4mbit max freq crc errors yet i am an avid online gamer and beta tested no doubt some of the online games you play these days... so yes latencey matters to me 15-20ms ping great im happy with that 40+ like some/most no that wont cut it.

i could of gone with o2 or sky before for lots less cash than any of these isp's but they would not of been close in terms to what i had with uko, even xilo has no sra and only fastpath on the top priced product which considering my line quality would be a huge waste of extra cash.

Maybe sky's network is solid but then when you buy a quality backhaul i.e easynet your allways going to get that, and again if your lucky enough to have good copper you wont have a clue about the problems a bad quality line can bring.

So like the taste of my feet ? no jog on.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Dec-10 13:51:30
Print Post

You may want to look around.. some people have managed to get this on their Sky service and I am sure there have been one or two recent posts about it too.

xilo has ... only fastpath on the top priced product which considering my line quality would be a huge waste of extra cash.

That is incorrect. Fast is offered on all services apart from Pro 16. It is not ONLY the Pro 24 as you claim and certainly not only on the top priced product (Office services cost more) that offers it

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User mabibby
(learned) Wed 29-Dec-10 13:53:03
Print Post

The common sense and understanding of some people really does make me chuckle.

"djay"

You've obviously failed to recognise that since 2000 the ADSL/Internet providing market has become very competitive and turned into a trully large corporate offering.

The majority of the country want a much lower level of service than you do and this is where the 95% of UK's ISP are targeting their products.

1. Sky is closing UKOnline for a reason. Obviously it's not profitable offering a service you want cannot be sustained whilst making a profit.

2. Life is a [censored], if you want it you have to pay for it.

3. Moaning at ISP's because they don't offer what your old ISP does is no use, especially when your old ISP is closing.

4. If it matters to you so [censored] much than wait on the phone for 4-17 minutes. It's taken you longer to argue the fact on here!

5. I've ran out of sheer botheredness to even give you a reply!

WNRE - Rhyl - Xilo
5.6MB @ 4.5KM Line Length smile
------------------------------------------------------
Standard User acting_funny
(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 20:34:16
Print Post

You may want to look around.. some people have managed to get this on their Sky service and I am sure there have been one or two recent posts about it too.

been over that alot in the ukonline forum, basically if any sky rep disables interleaving on llu they are risking their job but you'll still hear of "friends of friends" who have fastpath on their llu kit..

on ipstream they'll still do fastpath though.

as for djay: easynet connect will provide everything ukonline did over the same kit, any line profile tweak you want (including bins), sra, fastpath, inp, etc. with a lower contention ratio but with a managed service @ £100/month.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Dec-10 20:54:15
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

Part of the reason for my post was that I had their basic "2Mb" service a while back, which was just used for a backup - didn't cost anything so was an easy decision.

Called them asking to reduce latency from 80ms~, which they did but then refused to set Fast. Popped them an email via their contact form and it was then applied within 48 hours.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Dec-10 23:41:59
Print Post

[re: mabibby] [link to this post]

@ mabibby

Sky is closing UKOnline for a reason. Obviously it's not profitable offering a service you want cannot be sustained whilst making a profit.

Agree 100% for the first reason. As for the second, that is your assumption. I'd wager it is more to do with branding/brand awareness rather than offering an unprofitable product.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Thu 30-Dec-10 02:44:01
Print Post

I honestly think Sky would be a good option to consider.

You were happy with ukonline which uses the easynet network. Sky also uses the same easynet network, in fact the equipment at the exchange is in many cases the same.

The network itself is going to perform pretty much identically on sky as it did on ukonline. The only difference is you'll have a slight reduction in sync probably due to DLM. Sky CAN lower the interleaving to a point where it's also virtually none existent and have been known to enable fast path. Also the price is much lower.

If you're looking for unlimited downloads without slowdowns Sky's a good bet. Their customer service is not brilliant but I always get an Irish / Scottish / British person who is happy to help.

Don't criticise an ISP you know nothing about.
Standard User boysteve
(member) Thu 30-Dec-10 10:55:34
Print Post

Indeed it would seem so

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 934 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18014 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Dec-10 12:24:14
Print Post

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

Looking like that you are one of the lucky few who have or say they do. as getting fast path on sky is hit & miss not the way it should be, and further to that there are a lot of uko customers who have had the connection tweaked to give best performance on lines that are subject to interference from nearby properties due to the way the bt cables in the street are located and how they are wired,
as sky aren't happy to leave the custom profile as it is and insist or running dlm on a connection that has been perfectly stable for 12mths or even longer, and those customers end up with a lower sync coupled with interleave enabled followed by several calls thought to their tech support costing the customer to call as not a freephone number, this as a uko customer i find unacceptable hence why be will be my next isp

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 22:32:27
Print Post

thats the package I am on and I dont consider it overpriced, I get a guruantuee more or less I am not sharing with people torrenting 24/7 as the 75gig cap takes care of that. No congestion and no shaping.

End of the day xilo sell you what they can supply, if c&w dont give them that control then thats how it is.

I have had my service now for 2 days and am fairly happy with it, the latency is a bit high for my liking but thats it and next week xilo are willing to test different profiles on my line with me to see what kind of affect it has. So they are been accomodating.

Also my service is quite stable so far, no drops.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 22:40:50
Print Post

[re: acting_funny] [link to this post]

I really wish easynet did wholesale laugh then xilo etc. resell it.

djay is right on the POP thing, the reason my uko latency was so low at 8ms was because they have a POP in my city. I suspect the POP I am connected to now is probably in somewhere like birmingham or manchester as I suspect I am going north before going south again.

I will get used to the change tho, life goes on.
Standard User djay
(committed) Thu 30-Dec-10 22:54:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I honestly think Sky would be a good option to consider.

You were happy with ukonline which uses the easynet network. Sky also uses the same easynet network, in fact the equipment at the exchange is in many cases the same.

The network itself is going to perform pretty much identically on sky as it did on ukonline. The only difference is you'll have a slight reduction in sync probably due to DLM. Sky CAN lower the interleaving to a point where it's also virtually none existent and have been known to enable fast path. Also the price is much lower.

If you're looking for unlimited downloads without slowdowns Sky's a good bet. Their customer service is not brilliant but I always get an Irish / Scottish / British person who is happy to help.

Don't criticise an ISP you know nothing about.

Main use for inet for me is fps gaming so i need low latency, so sky would hardly be my first choice because of that and yes i would be over the moon to pay 25quid a month if i got more than 3.2mbits per second max so this is why i say xilo is very steep for my pocket as i am paying for what i can't use.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Dec-10 22:59:32
Print Post

Your nearest pop is in the same city but as to the route from there, could be going somewhere else but not sure it is the routing.

Customer in Leeds which does go via Manchester... (Interleaved)

[email protected] [~]# ping x
PING 95.172.x.x (95.172.x.x) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=18.8 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=17.7 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=17.3 ms

--- 95.172.x.x ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1998ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.338/17.980/18.825/0.623 ms

London.. (Interleaved)
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=12.0 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=11.4 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=11.7 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=11.2 ms

4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.270/11.642/12.088/0.320 ms

Cambridge... (Fast)
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=7.81 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=7.69 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=7.66 ms
64 bytes from 95.172.x.x: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=7.76 ms

4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.662/7.735/7.815/0.060 ms

We'll investigate next week as discussed earlier smile

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Dec-10 23:01:13
Print Post

But you're paying for the usage allowance.. which you could use - it is a usage based service.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 23:23:41
Print Post

ok thanks for the info.
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Fri 31-Dec-10 01:55:17
Print Post

We'll investigate next week as discussed earlier...

I'd be interested in the outcome as I'm not exactly impressed by the latency I'm seeing either. 25ms on the first hop. blush

Edited by e102gamma (Fri 31-Dec-10 01:59:27)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 00:43:10
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

same as me on my 7402NX router.

my line profile seems to change tho on different routers, both the 7402r2 and my speedtouch 585 have nearly 50ms and report FEC interleaving.

the 7402nx reports fast path only. The behaviour is repeatable and not some random fluke as a one off.

xilo are looking into it for me next week, I dont hold much hope for getting below 25ms but if they can make it like that on all my routers I will be happy with that as I may not keep using the 7402nx now.
Standard User djay
(committed) Sat 01-Jan-11 04:56:48
Print Post

Thanks for traceroutes allthough i doubt i have a pop where i am frown
Standard User coach112
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 06:55:53
Print Post

Post deleted by billford

Edited by coach112 (Mon 03-Jan-11 06:57:04)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 21:44:35
Print Post

is down to 21ms now, I seem to be on a proper fast path profile now.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 21:45:12
Print Post

That's better.

Standard User atj003
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 14:46:42
Print Post

I just had a Cold Call from ~BT trying to get me to jump ship from Xilo.
it was the nicest feeling telling them about my ISP and how much better they are than BT (who I was with before).

this is my 4th month with Xilo now the service is just running like clockwork.
ive got a stable 623KB download speed.
my ping on the Xbox and in WOW is lovely(no lag even at the peak times).

compared with BT.
....max d.l speed of 3mb but more often than not it would be down past 1mb.the pings were all over the shop trying to stream video was a total joke.having moved from Ukonline when I found out the situation I didnt think I would find another ISP that I would be happy with but thank goodness ive been proved wrong.

Even the 75gb usage limit im on with Xilo turned out to be a false worry my average monthly usage is about 20-23gb.(which is a lot less than I thought it would be)

yep all in all was very nice Telling BT about my service and no way would I want to move even 6 months free tongue
Standard User Magsy
(committed) Tue 01-Feb-11 13:29:14
Print Post

[re: atj003] [link to this post]

Bit late to this but my Xilo 24mb line has a strange issue similar. The Billions seem to produce high latency, 20-25ms+ and I am defo on fast path. (Routers were fine on different ISPs)

The only one that works sorta ok is the 5200s, which produces 15ms but occasionally resyncs and gets stuck at 30ms (still says fast path), further resyncs don't fix it but reboot and its fine.
A BT Bus Hub produces 20-22ms and the Broadcoms are in the 18ms range.

More than happy with Xilo so far, the line aint stable but thats my doing (fast path, 6db and 5.5kms), speed is always equivalent to sync and latency / loss is perfect. I dislocated a knee and was off for a month over Xmas, I played FPS games from 10am till 3am and have suffered no issues. Very happy!
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Feb-11 13:50:54
Print Post

[re: Magsy] [link to this post]

Is it JUST the Billion you see this problem with?

We've been trying to work with Chrysalis on this but that line has not changed since we added monitoring to it - so have not had anything further to work on.

Maybe you can raise a ticket so we can add some monitoring to yours too?

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User atj003
(member) Wed 02-Feb-11 17:24:53
Print Post

[re: Magsy] [link to this post]

I was lucky enough to get a Rift Beta. 7.54GB I got it in just under 3hrs.
I had to d.l again for the laptop again almost the same time.

what Ive found if I lose sync durning the day the line on my router says its 5872.
but in the night if it happens I log back over 6021 and my speed rises from 623kb to 652KB,hehe its really weird.

But im very pleased still. Im getting a ping in rift of 23!!!!! the server apparently is in the netherlands.

Edited by atj003 (Wed 02-Feb-11 17:25:35)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Feb-11 02:33:26
Print Post

if I remember right.

the speedtouch had lower latency then both my billion routers. on top of that there was an occasional random jump in latency that would occur at ppp connect time. The latter issue appears fixed and I think the former is also fixed now with that profile fix you did.

However to save both of us time and effort I stopped using the billion's as they very poor at maintaining sync on tiscali's equipment compared to the speedtouch and it's logical to use the router that can handle the connection best which in my case is my speedtouch 585.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to