User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Jan-13 19:23:42
Print Post

Re: Buffering (Surfwise LLU) and other line issues

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Well that lasted a long time....

Now @ 7582 kbit/s

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-13 19:58:36
Print Post

Re: Buffering (Surfwise LLU) and other line issues

In reply to a post by warweezil:
ALL slow to load and ALL showing this timeout at hop 8... how can I put it any plainer???????

That won't be causing the problem. Try the traceroute with the I flag for a ICMP trace instead.

Either the router is configured to drop ICMP, or UDP traces, or both. Not completely uncommon and won't affect normal day to day operation.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Jan-13 10:05:37
Print Post

Still on-going :(

Well... I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna boil!

The line still drops at random, sometimes it will go several days.. other times It drops several times in a day... add to that the Time outs in Traceroutes to some sites (notably bbc..co.uk & royalmail.com). Vivaciti support suggested that I changed the DNS (213.138.101.252 & 193.33.179.203)And was unsurprised that the issue didn't go away - yes I know about Google... Google is not my friend is in fact like the old woman who lives next door to me here and who wants to know everyones every move. ( I really do have a neighbour like that!)

We have apparently arrived back at the "Engineer visit" stage - although I can tell them what will happen... IF an engineer actually shows up here (50 % of the appointments I have had have resulted in nothing more than a phone call from an Openjoke bod) They will plug in - get sync at the same rate as myself.. and go away again. The problem ISN'T in the flat. there is only a New router plugged in - performing the same as all the other routers (and a PCI card) I have had tried over the last 10+ years on ADSL. My neighbours DON'T have this issue... it has to be MY line somewhere between the face plate and the exchange.
I have now started to see packet drops on the BQM graph this seems to be backed up by f8lure graphing.

I moved to LLU hoping to escape the 10+ years of this, so I know it is NOT the CP equipment on the line which has only been there for a year and cannot have been causing a problem over the last 10+ years. They (apparently) changed the pair between the cab and the exchange. which saw my maximum attainable morning sync drop from 10xxx to 8xxx, the router is new, the filter is yet another new one, nothing else is plugged in - I haven't used the voice service since Oct last (my new printer/fax has never even had the phone cables unpacked because of this). Over the last 10 years we have changed every piece of electrical kit here - I wont even set up my fish tank because of the issue and the readiness of Openjoke to blame anything (even loud wallpaper) for problems with their shaky plant) Its a 3 k line... or 2665 metres depending on who you believe - even the bt database seems to be confused about it.

This was after pulling the router during a thunderstorm last weekend

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 24576 1024
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 288 64
Attainable throughput kbit/s 8712 1031
Current throughput kbit/s 8384 1021

Latency 14 ms 6 ms
Bitswap on off
Seamless Rate Adaptation off off
Impulse Noise Protection (INP) 1.1 0.9
Energy-saving mode L2 NA - -

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 7 9
Line attenuation dB 42 24
Power Reduction dB 0 0

Its held 8 megs for a couple of days but at some point Im sure it will head downwards again, and if it really freaks out I could be back around 5 megs again soon.

Why do I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall? Ive done 10 years of this... surely I'm due a fix?

BQM

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Wed 06-Feb-13 12:45:05
Print Post

Re: Still on-going :(

I am with Vivaciti on the variety package.

I used to get drops frequently tried many things but only one worked.

Changing PPPoA to PPPoE and Encap mode LLC/SNAP-Bridging

No more drops.

Hope this helps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to