User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 17:53:31
Print Post

Xilo TTB outage?

[link to this post]

Anyone on XILO experiencing problems? My broadband is out at the moment. I notice on Xilo's service status they report a significant unresolved problem which has been ongoing for a few hours apparently. I thought I would find loads of people on here reporting it, so maybe my problem is coincidental.
I can log onto the router and it's synching to the exchange as normal and reporting addled connection, but no internet for me

Edited by bernado (Thu 15-May-14 17:57:45)

Standard User adsluser77
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 17:59:17
Print Post

Re: Xilo TTB outage?

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

I am on Vivaticti with TTB and have had intermittent connection since about 2pm today.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 18:04:33
Print Post

For 'addled' connection in my post, read 'ADSL'. Tehee. About right though

Edited by bernado (Thu 15-May-14 18:06:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Thu 15-May-14 18:09:42
Print Post

[re: adsluser77] [link to this post]

I'm also on Vivaciti (FTTC) and have intermittent connections.

The times that the PPP connection has established i've been assigned a 172.16 private IP instead of my usual static one and had no outside Internet connectivity (perhaps because my own router uses 172.20.0/23).

If this is an attempt to implement carrier-grade-NAT i'm less than impressed, and not just because there's been an approved range of 100.64.0.0/10 for the past 2 years.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Thu 15-May-14 18:11:36
Print Post

I had a problem also, but not on aTTB based connection.
Check my BQM.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 18:17:15
Print Post

Typical, her indoors out tonight and got beer in for a night of online gaming mayhem
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-May-14 18:22:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by bernado:
Anyone on XILO experiencing problems? My broadband is out at the moment. I notice on Xilo's service status they report a significant unresolved problem which has been ongoing for a few hours apparently. I thought I would find loads of people on here reporting it, so maybe my problem is coincidental.
I can log onto the router and it's synching to the exchange as normal and reporting addled connection, but no internet for me

Yes the uno TTB PPP link has been pretty bad today - still offline now. Even tried a different router with no success, actually at one point earlier today the router that I normally use (TG585) strangely also dropped the DSL and reconnected over ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+ confused smile
Standard User FastShow
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 18:24:31
Print Post

Haven't held a PPP link for longer than about 25 minutes since around lunchtime. I've just jumped from Coms to Xilo too, I am not having a good couple of months. frown
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-May-14 18:27:01
Print Post

[re: FastShow] [link to this post]

Just had a minor blip on Xilo FTTC - internet down for a minute. Rebooted modem and router and all well. I did see a private IP being reported by my router when internet was down (174.x.x.x).

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Thu 15-May-14 18:29:36)

Standard User NeoLojik
(learned) Thu 15-May-14 18:27:44
Print Post

[re: adsluser77] [link to this post]

Just wanted to +1 this. Contacted Vivaciti support at 1:30pm after the connection had already been dead for about 2 hours. Was told there was a Mass Service Outage and CISCO were on site.

At one point I managed to connect for about an hour, but it's been dead again since.

Interesting that this is affecting other ISP's though, I assumed from the reply I had that it was Vivaciti specific. Maybe our ISP's all share a common middleman between themselves and TalkTalk.

I fired off another ticket at 6pm asking for an update, but have heard nothing since.
Standard User TimLaduk
(learned) Thu 15-May-14 18:56:49
Print Post

[re: NeoLojik] [link to this post]

http://www.daisygroupplc.com/customer-support/servic...

Maybe related.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 19:01:55
Print Post

[re: TimLaduk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TimLaduk:

Maybe related.

Could well be. I've noticed Daisy coming up in trace routes I've done before
Standard User NeoLojik
(learned) Thu 15-May-14 19:12:37
Print Post

Maybe related.
Useful, thanks =)
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-May-14 19:16:48
Print Post

Maybe related.

+1 for me also, getting lots of PPP up and down signals on Daisy TTB LLU with Vivaciti.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 19:17:15
Print Post

Clearly some changes going on at the moment.
My connection restored itself a couple of times briefly, before dropping out again
Standard User hopeless
(member) Thu 15-May-14 21:14:42
Print Post

It's difficult to report problems when people can't get online. My Xilo connection had been down since I got home around 3pm.

There's no point raising a ticket, just wait I suppose.

Not overly happy.

Edited by hopeless (Thu 15-May-14 21:32:28)

Standard User NeoLojik
(learned) Thu 15-May-14 21:16:13
Print Post

So much for Daisy fixing it by, or updating, around 7pm.
Standard User LC100
(member) Thu 15-May-14 21:27:38
Print Post

Hi

Same issues here. No PPP or when there is getting an IP address I don't recognise. On Xilo FTTC.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 15-May-14 21:36:35
Print Post

[re: LC100] [link to this post]

The latest (and rather depressing) update from XILO - " 8:36pm, 15th May 2014

We are advised the process to restore service is

ongoing. It does relate to the session IDs that was seen

in the previous incident that whilst believed was fixed,

is causing issues once again. A more detailed RFO will

follow in coming days once resolved after being collated by the supplier"
Standard User NeoLojik
(learned) Thu 15-May-14 21:54:56
Print Post

The latest (and rather depressing) update from XILO - " 8:36pm, 15th May 2014

We are advised the process to restore service is

ongoing. It does relate to the session IDs that was seen

in the previous incident that whilst believed was fixed,

is causing issues once again. A more detailed RFO will

follow in coming days once resolved after being collated by the supplier"
So.... No ETA, no idea why it's not working.

Gotchya! ^u^
Standard User Cactusweasel
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 00:28:18
Print Post

Add me to the list, net went down around 12pm today then came back up for a while, then totally died somewhere around 2 or 3pm and it has been dead ever since. Still nothing as I type this, thankfully I'm still on the old one plan with Three so that has been getting hammered today!

Have to admit between this outage and the last one just a few weeks ago, I don't think I'll be staying with Xilo TTB for much longer, these have to be the worst outages I've had in many years and who's to say they will be fixed this time around.

Anyway with a bit of luck, things will be working in the morning. Rather like sleeping off a hangover and hoping things will be better when you wake up smile

Edited by Cactusweasel (Fri 16-May-14 00:29:08)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 00:41:42
Print Post

[re: Cactusweasel] [link to this post]

Get in touch. We have alternative options and offering FoC changes to anyone who requires one.

It's a very annoying, frustrating and upsetting time for us where we focus on quality of service and such a failure is not common.

This stems from TTB and the issues they've had over the last 2-3 weeks. We're not impressed at all but answering all queries that are coming in to the helpdesk as quickly as possible.

If you have any costs for your dongle/wifi - let us know as per our recent status posting update and we'll compensate you up to £20 (please keep your receipt).

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User hopeless
(member) Fri 16-May-14 01:09:42
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I'm going to assess my options in the morning. I find Xilo as a company, professional, but the service is mediocre at best.

13 hour outage already is ridiculous.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-May-14 01:10:52
Print Post

[re: Cactusweasel] [link to this post]

All seems ok now on Daisy been up for 6 hours 30.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 01:12:14
Print Post

[re: hopeless] [link to this post]

That specific service has had a repeat issue which we're not too pleased with - I can assure you.

Please get in touch, we have alternative options and happy to move you to any of them without charge - ones that have not been impacted by this recurring fault.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 01:25:03
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Perhaps for you but I and many others are still without a connection. I haven't experienced a connection drop out like this in over 14 years it is a pretty shocking state of affairs.

Posting this via my nexus 4 phone and I am equally amazed at how unwieldy the think broadband forums are on mobile platforms. Really wish they would look into making the forum more mobile friendly.

Oh well no net for me tonight will see how things are tomorrow. Just signed up with xilo too I am a refugee from coms.com. The internet gods do not like me.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 02:12:05
Print Post

[re: charmingcharlie] [link to this post]

It's not a usual thing, please let me assure you.

Get in touch via your account and we'll be happy to explain things in more detail or even give you a call to address any concerns.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 16-May-14 07:08:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
This stems from TTB and the issues they've had over the last 2-3 weeks.

The actual TT network seems to be fine, as i've not had any major issues at all (i'm with TT business direct). There was a TT fibre break a month or two ago which was affecting users in North of England & Scotland but that was rectified within 24 hrs and even then, it wasn't a total loss of service - throughput was reduced & ping times increased. So perhaps the current issues are only afftecting resellers?

My BQM over the last 24 hrs <red spike occurred when i switched routers>

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Linksys EA6900
Standard User bernado
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 07:40:43
Print Post

That specific service has had a repeat issue which we're not too pleased with - I can assure you.

Please get in touch, we have alternative options and happy to move you to any of them without charge - ones that have not been impacted by this recurring fault.

Matt

Just put such a ticket your way. I couldn't work last night because of the outage
Standard User FastShow
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 07:48:04
Print Post

What are my options? I've just paid a migration fee to move to you, my exchange isn't unbundled, I need ADSL Max Pro & I have absolutely no way of getting internet where I am apart from my fixed line, even my mobile connectivity goes over ADSL via a SureSignal so I dropped almost every call I tried to make yesterday. I lost about 75% of my working day as I work from home, so today, assuming everything is fine, I have two days' work to catch up on.

I appreciate and sympathise that you are having trouble with your supplier, but that really doesn't help me in any way and is something only you and your supplier can sort out. In the meantime though I can't work or use my mobile phone.

I have had nothing but exemplary customer support from Xilo, but this is (was?) the worst outage I've ever had with anyone and if that's down to TTB then I need to find a non-TTB option.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 07:49:52
Print Post

Please get in touch via the portal and we will be assisting any such queries raised via this method.

We can check what can be offered and go from there.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User FastShow
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 07:53:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by charmingcharlie:
Posting this via my nexus 4 phone and I am equally amazed at how unwieldy the think broadband forums are on mobile platforms. Really wish they would look into making the forum more mobile friendly

The forums are awful on all devices, I really have no idea why TB have stuck with them so long. Everyone I've ever directed here in real life for help has taken one look and fled, it's all so unwieldy and about 15 years out-of-date. But yeah, on mobile it's basically impossible.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-May-14 08:08:17
Print Post

Is this TTB issue specific to Xilo? Im on TTB via another provider but thinking of moving to Xilo. Not had qny TTB issues with them
Standard User juzzy25
(member) Fri 16-May-14 08:57:18
Print Post

I had an outage from about 3pm yesterday afternoon, came back for a couple of minutes then died. I'm not too reliant on it just fired up my spare giffgaff SIM which was woeful and kept kicking me off, thankfully my 3 PAYG mobile broadband came through for me (couldn't believe how busy the mobile broadband was at peak times)

Although the Pro TTB service hasn't been consistent as my BT connection through XILO, they're only as good as the provider which Matt has addressed, for the price I pay I'm very happy with the way XILO has treated me and also kept me up to date on the website on the issue.

Of course for other users this may not be the case, and yes you could argue this was a very long outage (which hopefully lessons will be learned) but I'll stick with it and see how the next few months pans out, I've got a growing concern that lots of people are moving onto Xilo which is a good thing, but they all sound like really heavy users after the unlimited allowances.

Xilo Internet User and Happy!
Standard User FastShow
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 09:25:57
Print Post

[re: juzzy25] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by juzzy25:
Of course for other users this may not be the case, and yes you could argue this was a very long outage (which hopefully lessons will be learned) but I'll stick with it and see how the next few months pans out, I've got a growing concern that lots of people are moving onto Xilo which is a good thing, but they all sound like really heavy users after the unlimited allowances.

Not all of us, I get 2.5Mb on a good day and if I download more than 30GB in a month it's been a busy one. I just need someone reliable and I'm willing to pay for it, but sadly I'm not having so much luck these days.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-May-14 09:44:37
Print Post

Re using the thinkbroadband forums on mobile devices, are you using threaded mode or flat mode?

If threaded, change the default setting in My Home options at the bottom of that page. Also play with Collapsed v Expanded and number per page. When using flat mode, always click the Reply button for the post you are replying to. Not always the latest one. You can swap between threaded and flat in-thread, button towards the top right, to experiment.

I've never had an issue, starting with non-smartphones, now a Galaxy SIII and iPad.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 11:47:08
Print Post

So much for that. After a good start this morning, the connection is very poor for me right now. Looks like I better get a 3g dongle

Edited by bernado (Fri 16-May-14 14:46:19)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 11:48:05
Print Post

"Pro" seems fine this morning smile

Funny that my router resync'd to G.992.3 rather than G.992.5 yesterday - maybe it got into a pickle continually attempting to establish the PPP link.

Cheers Matt - great service and communication from Xilo.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 11:52:30
Print Post

So much for that. After a good start this morning, the connection is very poor for me right now

Sorry to hear that - my throughput and latency is back to normal now. Hopefully your connection will stabilise very soon.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 12:27:51
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
So much for that. After a good start this morning, the connection is very poor for me right now

Sorry to hear that - my throughput and latency is back to normal now. Hopefully your connection will stabilise very soon.

I've rebooted my router and things seem fine again now, maybe coincidence but time will tell
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 12:42:28
Print Post

I've rebooted my router and things seem fine again now, maybe coincidence but time will tell

I'm sure it will be fine, if not Xilo will help you out in any way that they can - customer service is definitely their number one priority. I had a few TTB throughput/latency issues last year and was more than adequately compensated smile
Standard User charmingcharlie
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 12:58:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I've never had an issue, starting with non-smartphones, now a Galaxy SIII and iPad.

I am not saying it causes issues with a mobile I am just saying the TBB forum could be done better on a mobile platform. It is incredibly clunky and unwieldy to use on a mobile and in this day and age there really is no excuse. A good example of how it could be done is like this :-

www.neogaf.com <- desktop version of a gaming forum

http://m.neogaf.com/ <- mobile version of the same forum

Anyway I had a fiddle with tethering on my nexus 4 last night (after I found a cable that works) and made do with that till someone at the server centre managed to resuscitate the hamster in charge of powering the servers.

Anyway apologies for being off topic I was just a lil bit haggard yesterday with the whole net being down. This morning things seem to be fine for me. I had a slight outage about 20 mins ago that was cured by rebooting the router.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-May-14 14:24:49
Print Post

As I asked, flat or threaded? They are flat.

How much do you pay for the gaming/games that you use those forums for? These forums are also immensely more sophisticated in how you can use them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-May-14 15:03:19
Print Post

[re: juzzy25] [link to this post]

There probably isnt at isp in the world that doesn't have outages. Its natural unfortunately the way technology works. From what ive seen tho Xilo handled it very well with regular updates and even offered compensation which they don't legally have to do.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 16:20:14
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I don't really understand what the problem was other than it was a PPP thing (whatever that means), can any one explain in dullard's terms? What confused me is at the time my router seemed all good, registering normal sync with the exchange and all the usual lights on that should be on.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-May-14 16:29:28
Print Post

Home router to exchange and exchange to ISP is different as far as i can tell. You can have sync if the issue isnt between you and the exchange, but no internet if the issue is past the exchange
Standard User FastShow
(regular) Fri 16-May-14 17:17:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This is getting wildly off-topic, but these forums are barely usable on a desktop, they're a good decade out of date, things have moved on a long way in terms of UI and usability everywhere else. On mobile they're a complete nightmare, and I say that as someone whose posts in this thread were mostly made on a phone.

At the very least some mobile CSS would be nice, it's not a huge job just to tidy things up for the benefit of devices that, frankly, the majority of people use to browse the net these days.

Edited by FastShow (Fri 16-May-14 17:18:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-May-14 18:07:56
Print Post

Flat or threaded mode?

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-May-14 18:57:56
Print Post

Matt

Thanks for keeping the status pages updated. I realise that the issue was outside your control and I cannot understand the people who seem to think otherwise.

Regards

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-May-14 17:47:13
Print Post

Re: Xilo...can not connect again

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Anyone else having trouble today,last hour I just get a by wholesale service information page and can not use any broadband enabled devices,using to write this and I'm sorry I have not had the time to read all the posts,think it was not working for most of last Tuesday so can someone tell me who's fault this is,is it a BT issue or Xilo

as it's now getting a tad frustrating given my girlfriend is dependant on a stable internet connection as she works from home .
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sat 17-May-14 18:52:45
Print Post

I don't really understand what the problem was other than it was a PPP thing (whatever that means), can any one explain in dullard's terms? What confused me is at the time my router seemed all good, registering normal sync with the exchange and all the usual lights on that should be on.

I can only go by what Xilo posted (which by the way, as excellent). It was some kind of error here everytime you tried to create a connection, the internal TTB system as demanding some kind of session ID - like a user code. It did not only affect Xilo, but ironically my link via Coms (which is STILL live) asn't affected, doh.

TTB has an extremely resilliant network and upto until no have been very well respected within the industry and used by most ISPs. This really is NOT Xilos fault, but just very annoying for all of us ho were affected.

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 17-May-14 19:00:01
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukwoody:
TTB has an extremely resilliant network and upto until no have been very well respected within the industry and used by most ISPs. This really is NOT Xilos fault, but just very annoying for all of us ho were affected.

Why haven't TT direct connections & other TTB resellers such as AAISP and Goscomb experienced issues? No ISP is immune from outages ( eg fibre break which the ISP has no control over) but issues lasting a few weeks ? That is taking the p mate...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps