User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 19:49:36
Print Post

Xilo - TTB/Daisy Connection

[link to this post]

Anyone on Xilo with the TTB/Daisy connection noticed any throttling on their connection at all? Beginning to wonder if the Vivaciti rumour is true. Any problems streaming 4OD or ITV player during the day?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14044...
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 17:10:22
Print Post

Re: Xilo - TTB/Daisy Connection

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I am on FTTC with Xilo and go over the Daisy network.

No throttling evident. As well as that, I contacted Xilo about it and they is no throttling and their contract with Daisy does not allow its implementation (IIRC, natch). I'm raise a ticket with Xilo and put your mind at rest.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 19:13:48
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Interesting, then Vivaciti's problem must be about money.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Aug-14 21:26:05
Print Post

Were it not for the impending FTTC here I might have swallowed the migration fee and headed for Xilo. Vivaciti continues to disappoint. Just had a random resync, 8120kbit/s sync gets me 6633KBit/s Throughput according to vivacitis preferred Speedtest

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI - Enta. Not very impressed with the "Improvement"
SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Fibre.... no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 22:17:46
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

At least you are getting FTTC, no sign on my exchange. Are you staying with Viva on FTTC?

Tim
Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Aug-14 16:41:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Anyone on Xilo with the TTB/Daisy connection noticed any throttling on their connection at all? Beginning to wonder if the Vivaciti rumour is true. Any problems streaming 4OD or ITV player during the day?

Nope, glad to say that no sign of ANY throttling on streaming media or anything else (so far!) since moving from Vivaciti to Xilo. Full line speed 24/7 pretty much ..... just like Vivaciti on TTB LLC used to be in fact.

The moment, if and when, Daisy ever start doing that then Xilo can say cheerio to my business. I'm starting to think it was a load of old cobblers what we were told about Daisy to be fair, would explain a few things on why Vivaciti moved to Entanet. There's far more to it if you ask me.

Edited by Lazza (Wed 06-Aug-14 16:42:37)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:08:43
Print Post

[re: Lazza] [link to this post]

Did you have to pay a transfer fee from Viva to Xilo?

Tim
Standard User user7423
(committed) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:32:42
Print Post

I did pay a migration fee to Xilo when I moved from Vivaciti, but to be honest it was well worth the fee.

I went on to extreme 16 package (with C&W LLU) with Xilo.
Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Aug-14 14:41:12
Print Post

Yes, I did sadly have to part with £40 + VAT.

But, I'm so glad so far that I did. If you've been with Vivaciti TT LLU as I was for some time then all I can say is Xilo works exactly like Vivaciti did at the start with TT. Well worth the move IMHO, bite the bullet and pay the £48 and you'll have forgotten about the cost after a week of a perfect running connection with no disconnects/re-syncs. smile
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Aug-14 18:42:31
Print Post

My cabinet is lost in the machinery or is it machinations of the Superfarce Cymru roll out. As the installation teams have "moved on" we may have to wait until Kellys or similar feel like a day out at the coast before we get revisited.

Staying with Viva? NOT gonna happen.

Firstly because I went to the trouble of calling them and getting the support guy to check if my line was affected, because I wanted to be able to look at this before any switch happened. I was told I was NOT affected, and only became aware of the change when my connection died. When I mentioned it on here Vivaciti responded with some words about how they emailed everyone affected, well hey guys - I called you to check and discuss the options, to be given the wrong information is bad enough but not even an apology for wrong footing me? In my book that is really poor customer relations. Add to that the tone of the response in the forum which came across as "not happy? Tough we think most others will be (or wont bother complaining)" tells me Vivaciti don't seem to value me as a customer and that has helped me make a decision about FTTC.

Sadly it seems that some of the smaller outfits are getting the same attitude to Customer service as the big guys. A sorry state.

Right now I CBA to move ADSL service when FTTC could be available on PCP29 in a couple of weeks, its a case of making do with a degraded service until I have the service I want available.

Just to be consistent we see yet another resync today. BTw nowhere near as stable as Daisy was. GREAT improvement guys.

SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Fibre.... no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Aug-14 22:18:32
Print Post

Re: Xilo - TTB/Daisy Connection (Edit)

And another resync mid evening... whoops make that lunch time AND mid evening - missed the earlier on the log - all these events just become a blur considering this is supposed to be an always on connection..... So stable....

My Broadband Ping

Edited by warweezil (Fri 08-Aug-14 06:35:00)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Aug-14 23:18:43
Print Post

2 more today @ 04.04 and 23.09.

Was trying to Stream DI thru Sonos but the stream kept cutting out. Seems to me that the performance of BTw on this exchange is as pathetic now as it was 2 years ago.

Roll on Fibre so I can migrate away from this train wreck.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Aug-14 00:29:20
Print Post

Fibre at the exchange is Sky, TalkTalk or BT Wholesale. Though none of them control the connection, only the traffic. I don't know whether or not TT Wholesale sell FTTC.

The connection is Openreach at the cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Aug-14 07:58:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS. I think it will probably be Zen that I place the order with, I wish my finances would stretch to AAISP, but for the household usage this isn't an option, Sky is out - am likely to be cancelling the TV package later this year and TalkTalk... I have had experience in the past of trying to sort out support issues with them for a disabled friend, that was enough to put me off for life!

The line has never been great, Its a shade under 3km, the gain needed tweaking on dial up, and it has always had a habit of dropping at random times with random frequency. After the various attempts at gaining some real stability the only thing left untouched is the copper between the street chamber that feeds the overhead pole and PCP29. Ive done all the obvious new DECT handset, extensions removed, filtered faceplate, Swapped out my old speedsteam pci modem for a speedtouch, moved from that a HGV2700 and now have a fritz 7390 which at least produces decent logs. A shame ISPs seem uninterested in the spectrum information and snr/error logging - previous offers to send screenshots of this from my router logs have been declined.

But what frustrates me the most is that with daisy I had a reasonable level of stability, since the change I don't think I have seen 7 clear days without a drop. I just wish Openjoke would get my cabinet sorted out so I could try FTTC. If the line still plays up on that then surely the has to me between here and PCP - which I have long suspected. Ive put up with this since ADSL arrived at SWPM exchange. I think I have been patient long enough. I know I keep repeating the information but sadly I lack the knowledge held by others, Im hoping that someone will come up with something I have missed...

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Aug-14 09:17:05
Print Post

Can't fault that analysis smile.

I gather you were getting some disconnections on LLU then, but less than now?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Aug-14 23:47:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I gather you were getting some disconnections on LLU then, but less than now?
Yes The line has always dropped, I moved to LLU because at that point BT were claiming that SWPM was uneconomic for WBC - which of course miraculously changes as soon as TalkTalk came to town. I was delighted to find that on LLU my line seemed much more stable and I assumed that the different equipment/specs employed by TT was more tolerant of whatever issue is (still) causing the drops. Ive tried a 585v6 and some of my HGV2700's (I got 17 for a quid off of ebay without power supplies) Nothing has helped.

Over the years various things have been tried but the drops have persisted, during that time I have pretty much replaced all the electrical equipment in my home and I am now the longest resident in the street so it isn't likely to be neighbour related, it isn't a specific time thing so I cant tie it to a timer or something (not that we have central heating here anyhow)

Annoyingly a couple of weeks ago one sunday night Enta was running as low as 5.5 megs on a speedtest which is back to where I was on IPSC although now it seems to vary between 7.2 and 8.4 megs on a line with a 39db attenuation (and current SNR of 6db) I note that today the Fritz had logged a CRC count of 30 in the last 15 minutes with "error seconds" recorded as 199 at Fritz and 66 at "central exchange", and while I am ok on basic troubleshooting I am lost about what these could mean for my problems - the Fritz is a lovely router but the documentation is a little sparse. I just noticed it resynced at 21.11 tonight and then at 22.47 we see "internet connection cleared" and a reconnected a minute later after the usual timeout during ppp negotiation. so a resync and a drop in around 90 mins. Currently showing 7.8 Mbit/s down - 935 kbit/s up. (thats how the Fritz expresses it in the control panel summary)

The drop wire was new when I moved in - it was a new install as the old ducted feeds had been removed while the last occupant was here - they had no phone service. The only constant is the copper loop in the street that runs down to the PCP on the corner. Any ideas anyone can offer would be great, Im not confident that Superfarce Cymru have been completely open about what is happening with PCP29s delayed Fibre service and that the "early stages of work" they refer to could be someone making yet another survey - so Im expecting months rather than weeks before I can place an order for fibre.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Aug-14 23:58:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by warweezil:
The drop wire was new when I moved in - it was a new install as the old ducted feeds had been removed while the last occupant was here - they had no phone service.
The cable through the duct was removed? Are you sure?

Even with drop-wires from the pole here can be a new install. AIUI that just means the pair links were removed at the exchange and/or cabinet.

So the condition of the ducted cable may be suspect.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Aug-14 07:22:50
Print Post

There was a chamber on the edge of our garden that has been filled in.. There was also a visible strip where the pathway leading to our premises had been dug up from the street chamber to the base of the pole - according to my (late) downstairs neighbour it was" where BT put the new wiring for all the phones".

The pole seems to feed most of the flats here, what feeds the pole is anyone's guess im not sure if they left the copper to the old chamber in the ground or if it was pulled, Looking at the location of the pole against the position of the old chamber I guess they could have re-used cable on that, but certainly the drop wire was new, and we have had a change made between the PCP and exchange ("D" side?) I seem to recall a line card shift being mentioned - I think that was when I got an SFI charge raised against me even though the line was reported by Enta for being "below FTL" - which was before I went to LLU.

Its the usual Openjoke issue, different people.. incomplete notes.... and an attitude that seems to say "It (Mostly) works - why are you complaining?

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Aug-14 11:16:38
Print Post

One of the nastiest things going on is the frequent ignoring of the FTL these days on ADSLx, and on FTTC line degradation of the line normally results in the estimate being revised downwards.

A scam.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:43:36
Print Post

Much of uk Broadband is indeed a scam including the SFI charge fiasco. I know they say that broadband isn't a "universal service" as are voice lines, but I feel that given the fact that many lines now only exist to support broadband the position of "we only guarantee a voice service on a line" is a complete nonsense.

It should now be a case that where broadband is technically possible say as an example on lines below 65db attenuation that the line should be expected to perform to a reasonable spec given the technical limitations of length etc and the technical specs under which UK broadband is provided. For too long BT group have hidden behind the lack of a basic QOS in terms of line performance. If a line should for example be technically capable of x then its actual performance should fall within a high percentage of x. If that means that ally wiring etc needs to be removed then remove it! otherwise only allow a lower charge for lower performance capability, of full rental minus % of lost performance.

If a line loses performance there is no case for simply lowering the expectation for that line - if there is a fault it needs fixing, we are constantly told that line rental is to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the network, and yet BT group seem extremely reluctant to actually do any maintenance or routine replacement, possibly the only industry that seems to think its infrastructure will last forever and that maintaining the system simply means fiddling with the line data, applying sticking plaster where needed and designing now logos for the corporate image - here's a clue BT - many people (like me) would avoid you if they could, hows that for image?

I know the shareholders will wince at the idea, but customers rightly resent paying full price for a line to support broadband where it falls far short of expectation, and where you run the risk of maverick charges anytime you raise a fault because the performance has degraded. Given the huge amount of infrastructure they control it is time that the whole thing was looked into and something done to prevent the on-going abuse. we might have LLU here but BT still own the mouldy old copper - but they wont fix it unless they positively have to.

12 years of this b/s has left me quite angry as you may be able to tell.

My Broadband Ping

Edited by warweezil (Mon 11-Aug-14 17:11:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Aug-14 14:11:36
Print Post

An excellent post.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Aug-14 15:03:54
Print Post

I've been noticing issues with streaming DI generally - across a wide range o connections including my 4G connection. I think there is a issue at the DI end.
Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Aug-14 19:52:41
Print Post

My exchange is "supposed" to go FTTC by the end of the year, as you say AAISP is by far the best bet and I too wish I could afford to use them also. You get what you pay for and they are by FAR the best ISP I have ever used.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Aug-14 22:49:44
Print Post

If only OFCOM would take this on board. Too often they seem unconcerned about the poor treatment of UK broadband customers.

My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to