User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jul-19 21:09:52
Print Post

Uno Duo VDSL

[link to this post]

I'm a happy IDNet customer, but just started looking around in case I could find another quality ISP with whom we could save a few pennies.

I'd already spotted that both Zen and Pulse8 were more competitively priced than when I joined IDNet 18 Months ago, before checking the Uno web site.

Until recently the Uno Duo Phone & Broadband product had only been available on ADSL at our exchange. However that has now changed and I appear to be able to get their Duo Advanced 80/20 product for £27.50 a month (inc VAT), which is damn sight cheaper than IDNet, Zen and Pulse8 and even their own Fibre only product.

Their web site has no information about how this is provisioned, so just a question does anybody here know anything about or have any experience of the Uno Duo VDSL products.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Jul-19 18:46:47
Print Post

Re: Uno Duo VDSL

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Remember that Pulse8 Fibre offerings are business grade, so you get

High Priority Business Grade (Care Level 2 - 48hr target fix)

Not sure if the other providers you listed have this
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-19 21:17:29
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Remember that Pulse8 Fibre offerings are business grade, so you get
High Priority Business Grade (Care Level 2 - 48hr target fix)

Not sure if the other providers you listed have this

I've been with Pulse8 in the past and had a single thread speed problem that took a couple of months to resolve.

To be fair to Adam he stuck with it and the issue did get resolved, but it left me with the feeling that they weren't the most tech savvy of ISPs, a criticism it would be hard to make of Uno.

One of the issues with Pulse8's TTB VDSL (and any other non-BTw backhaul sMPF solution), it can cost a small fortune to move your phone line back to BTw afterwards. The Uno Duo product is at a price point where the cost saving negates this concern.

At it's price point, I would be very surprised if the Uno Duo product is a BTw or TTBw offering.

I'm just struggling to find the time during the day to make a call to Uno to find out more, hence the question here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Jul-19 21:32:11
Print Post

From what i can gather, Pulse8 are still at the mercy of Talk Talk. Everything goes over their network so all they can do is log a ticket on your behalf. I had a problem with my Pulse8 connection where for some reason TT had deleted my login credentials from their server, so i couldnt connect. An issue was raised but it i was still at the mercy of TT tech staff fixing it. In the end it was (took 72hrs but it was over a weekend). Advantage is though Adam and the team listen to you, so what they lack in knowledge they make up for in enthusiasm

FTTP is different to their ADSL service though as it has that business grade response time, so if there was a fault it should get fixed sooner

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 15-Jul-19 21:33:14)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 13:26:35
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I use TT via Utility Warehouse and UW get things sorted very quickly.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 18:14:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
One of the issues with Pulse8's TTB VDSL (and any other non-BTw backhaul sMPF solution), it can cost a small fortune to move your phone line back to BTw afterwards. The Uno Duo product is at a price point where the cost saving negates this concern.

I would guess the "Duo Pro" and "Duo Advanced" VDSL products are TTB MPF on your exchange - hopefully Matt will see this thread and clarify.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jul-19 22:45:41
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I would guess the "Duo Pro" and "Duo Advanced" VDSL products are TTB MPF on your exchange - hopefully Matt will see this thread and clarify.

I do still owe Uno a call, however I have had the following back on email from Uno Sales:

Duo are new services recently launched and unlike our other services, we don't use just one specific wholesale network for delivery of the service - we use the best value option in that area or exchange.

Duo services have lower assurance rates compared to our other fibre products which is worked in to the cost. It also requires you to bring the line rental to us and is only offered on an 18 month term.

Our Fibre+ and Fibre+ Pro have higher assurance rates so if you're looking for "guaranteed" performance minimums that are nearer to your sync rate, they would be the product to go for.

Just goes to show you that you don't get owt for nowt, as they might say in Sheffield.

I may well get exactly the same quality of connection as I do at the moment, but I could also have 18 months to regret the error of my ways if it isn't as good.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 23:17:30
Print Post

Do you think that perhaps you have a problem with the copper pair from the cabinet?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-19 08:26:06
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Do you think that perhaps you have a problem with the copper pair from the cabinet?

Reliably 80/20 Sync; typically 70.1 Single / 70.5 Multi / 17.5 Up on TBB speed test. I don't see any evidence of a copper issue. The cab is the other side of our front garden wall, so our copper run is minimal.

I have had FTTC single thread speed issues in the past with Pulse 8, Aquiss and IDNet (Zen Backhaul), which is why I am wary of going for a cheaper option. I do want an ISP that will fight for me if things go awry. The Pulse 8 and IDNet issues were definitely backhaul related.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jul-19 17:32:25
Print Post

So on your line an "assured rate" (throughput?) of 40Mbps would be possible with Uno's "Fibre+" and "Fibre+ Pro" products but with "Duo Advanced" the assured rate would be less. I think you would be very disappointed if the "assured rate" was less than 40Mbps given the sync and throughput speeds that you currently enjoy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to