User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:08:20
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Direct Debit

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

He printed it there and then so I cannot comment on whether the Bank holds the original or not, just that it was on-screen and then printed.
Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:19:57
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
He printed it there and then so I cannot comment on whether the Bank holds the original or not, just that it was on-screen and then printed.

My bank, too, can print me a list of direct debits - all of which (I hasten to add) are now cancelled.
Would you believe, they retain them for "archive" purposes !!

"I've seen the wonder of the world, its beauty and its power, and the shapes of things, their colours, lights and shades. Look ye also while life lasts."
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:34:49
Print Post

yes because you can go back and do a charge back later on.

also banks are required to hold least data for 7 years, just as you are meant to

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:53:15
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
yes because you can go back and do a charge back later on.

also banks are required to hold least data for 7 years, just as you are meant to

Don't understand. Why would I want to do a "charge back"?
Cancelled DDs do have one purpose, and that is to prevent originators (using the same code) from accessing your account.
I assume that they (the originators) could, of course, use a different code !!

"I've seen the wonder of the world, its beauty and its power, and the shapes of things, their colours, lights and shades. Look ye also while life lasts."
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 14:31:38
Print Post

This wasn't just from a 'list' it had my Signature on it!!
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Mon 24-Jan-11 14:51:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
It was only recently that I discovered the flaw in the DD system.
Once a company - any company in the world - has hold of your bank sort code and bank account number, they can apply through BACS for a payment against your account, without your authority and without your knowledge.
The crucial point is that they don't need a DD mandate to do this !! Your bank doesn't check for an authority !!
Hard to believe, I know, but that is the reality.
True, I understand, the debit card system is a risk, but you usually know when and who you're paying, the amount, and you normally obtain a receipt. The recipient has access to your card, but not your bank account.

My bold

Wagstaff

That sure makes writing a cheque unsafe does it not? It is all there.

Used DD for many many years and not a problem. Do I trust any banking 100% no indeed but I check my account daily. Good job I did because a year ago my wife must have popped over to Miami without me knowing and had a tattoo, at least that is what the debit on my CC indicated.tongue

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:00:26
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

If I wanted I could cancel all the Direct Debits on my bank account, online banking lists them all with simple Cancel button.

The button exists even before the first payment has been made, i.e. the form has been processed by bank but no payment taken yet.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:04:00
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
That sure makes writing a cheque unsafe does it not? It is all there.

Probably why they're doing away with cheques.

Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:08:39
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

A couple of years ago, my bank rang me & asked if we had been in USA, we hadn't.
Our account (debit card) was showing $3.50 for a cup of coffee from a New York cafe.
They cancelled the card & issued a new one + a refund.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:11:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If I wanted I could cancel all the Direct Debits on my bank account, online banking lists them all with simple Cancel button.

The button exists even before the first payment has been made, i.e. the form has been processed by bank but no payment taken yet.
Yep, paperwork must reach the bank as mine show up the same.

However although I don't know the reason, you may not be able to cancel them all online.

I have cancelled several in the past once they were no longer needed, but one came up with an error message, along the lines of "You cannot cancel this direct debit through direct banking, please contact your branch".

The girl I spoke to there didn't know the reason, just that some d/ds are like that. She cancelled it for me with no problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to