User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:05:31
Print Post

Re: Giving Plusnet a Try!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A look at the Tsohost site, seems to show they don't even cater for Mac users.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:13:12
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

?
All I can think of is you mean they don't give the setup parameters for Macs? But the server names are there for whatever email client you use.

I must admit I know nothing about Macs, but a mail host is a mail host, and doesn't care what the user computer, OS or mail client is.

Tell me more and I might be able to help. Or I could ask a Mac user I know what the problem/solution is. Alternatively give Tsohost a ring or email tomorrow - you will be amazed smile!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:24:20
Print Post

A simple look at their front page seems to eliminate Mac users http://www.tsohost.co.uk/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:41:20
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with being paranoid.

I don't agree with firms making money, by tracking me, selling that info, or sending adverts, etc.

I have a Hotmail account, but that's only used as a backup, if I have problems with my own domain. Yes I trust M$ more than I ever will Google.

Yes, I often use Webmail, when I'm away, or in other countries & I fully trust the server, it's in the UK.
In fact it's sitting on my desk next to me.

I to am retired, & have had computers long before PC's & even Clive Sinclairs computers.

plusnet
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:51:07
Print Post

You have no control whatsoever over what Google or Microsoft do. What you do on your own computer is completely irrelevant.

If you want paranoia, how long do you think it will be before anyone applying for a visa for the US will have their full google/hotmail email history, (including contents), vetted by the CIA? Of course, having nothing to hide, and never having emailed any criticism of anybody in the US, that doesn't matter to any of us tongue.

True, but I can try & reduce what they do.

CIA can vet whatever they want, as I do not wish now, or ever, to visit the US.

plusnet
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:57:22
Print Post

I'd never trust a firm that scanned emails, that's the good thing about your own domain & server.

Hmmm, Facebook. My kids (late 20's / 30's) spend far to much time on it. I think that it's the only reason my girl comes to visit (she hasn't go internet access of her own).
She keeps trying to get me & my wife to sign up to it. No way.

plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:03:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by m0aur:
A simple look at their front page seems to eliminate Mac users http://www.tsohost.co.uk/
smile smile
Ahh! Fret not!

That is referring to the type of web hosting, (and the OS they are running on the host machines), which affects the facilities available to you if you wish to host a website.

Nearly all, or perhaps all, the web and email servers in the world run on Windows or Linux setups. Linux ones are usually cheaper and perfectly good for most of us. Large commercial enterprises may, or Microsoft Partner type developers will want Windows-specific services to run their websites, but others will want Linux-specific ones.

For instance the two main database systems that websites use are Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL. The basic functions of the two are the same, with variations at the advanced levels. The first runs only on a Windows based server, the MySQL runs on Linux, though I think some Windows-based hosts give a choice. The MS one cannot run on Linux.

So don't worry about that. Whether you go with Tsohost or some other, there will usually be the same choice, and you want the Linux one on price grounds. As far as email hosting goes, I don't think there is any difference from our point of view.

My website and email is on Linux at Tsohost, as they were previously with Purple Cloud. I have a Windows laptop on which I do everything including update the website before uploading what you see.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:09:44
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MadMan:
You have no control whatsoever over what Google or Microsoft do. What you do on your own computer is completely irrelevant.

If you want paranoia, how long do you think it will be before anyone applying for a visa for the US will have their full google/hotmail email history, (including contents), vetted by the CIA? Of course, having nothing to hide, and never having emailed any criticism of anybody in the US, that doesn't matter to any of us tongue.

True, but I can try & reduce what they do.

CIA can vet whatever they want, as I do not wish now, or ever, to visit the US.
smile
Note that post was a reply to cavillas who seems to believe in google or hotmail.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:13:27
Print Post

Thanks. Sounds similar to the Mr. Site idea I had looked at.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:35:02
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MadMan:
I to am retired, & have had computers long before PC's & even Clive Sinclairs computers.

Those of us that remember when the PC was a joke, and if you wanted something decent on your machine, you coded it yourself, are probably far more capable than those that were brought up in the point and click WIMP envioronment, which by comparison is in the same category as the Etch-A-Sketch!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to