User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:46:53
Print Post

Re: Giving Plusnet a Try!

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Ummm, no I don't think so.

If I'm looking at the right place that looks like them selling you a package to set up a website to run on their system, with them having a huge degree of control. I would be very wary of that sort of site, as I doubt if it achieves what you need for email. It strikes me like an ISP but less flexible. Again, any email service will be secondary to the site building side, not a central product.

I and the others on here have been talking about pure hosting, where you have the email set up and running literally within hours. Web sites on that host can come later, but so far you haven't mentioned that as being of interest.

Once you have a domain and hosting package, which is set up almost immediately, all you have to do is set up another account in your email client, just like your existing one but with the new email servers, (like where you had to change your PO server addresses to Plusnet ones), and you are up and running in at most a day.

Note that athough I rate Tsohost highly, there are slightly cheaper email-only hosts. Tsohost is hardly expensive though, and the support is A1. Reliability or me so far has been perfect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-11 01:14:50
Print Post

LOL.

I remember those days. First IBM PCs = black & white & went beep.

I used to write my own programs. I think I've still got Machine Code books somewhere for the 8080 & Z80 smile

plusnet
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-11 01:19:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Whoops, sorry.

I've just scrolled the page (threaded) & I see the error wink

plusnet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 08:52:03
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MadMan:
LOL.

I remember those days. First IBM PCs = black & white & went beep.

I used to write my own programs. I think I've still got Machine Code books somewhere for the 8080 & Z80 smile

Yes, those days the Z80 ran the world as we knew it. Even those that used Basic has more of an idea about computing than some in this age of point and click. I have never forked out for the likes of Dream Weaver when a text editor is perfectly good enough for coding HTML, though I stopped bothering when BT stopped free web-space, preferring to fiddle with Python.
Talking of BT & returning to the original subject matter, I left BT for the Post Office 16 months ago, but my old BT email address is very much in use and has got me through this and many muddle. That ‘SERVICE’ has never missed a beat.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:16:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ummm, no I don't think so.

If I'm looking at the right place that looks like them selling you a package to set up a website to run on their system, with them having a huge degree of control. I would be very wary of that sort of site, as I doubt if it achieves what you need for email. It strikes me like an ISP but less flexible. Again, any email service will be secondary to the site building side, not a central product.

I and the others on here have been talking about pure hosting, where you have the email set up and running literally within hours. Web sites on that host can come later, but so far you haven't mentioned that as being of interest.

Once you have a domain and hosting package, which is set up almost immediately, all you have to do is set up another account in your email client, just like your existing one but with the new email servers, (like where you had to change your PO server addresses to Plusnet ones), and you are up and running in at most a day.

Note that athough I rate Tsohost highly, there are slightly cheaper email-only hosts. Tsohost is hardly expensive though, and the support is A1. Reliability or me so far has been perfect.

Thanks. I realise the the above. I mentioned the Mr. Site option as I thought it was similar in that it was all done online, as opposed to coding your own HTML and uploading when ready as I am used to. I am actually interested in a site also as an Ebay shop is getting expensive, so thought it may kill two birds with one stone, though the results I have seen seem very amateur compared to DIY HTML.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:17:07
Print Post

but my old BT email address is very much in use and has got me through this and many muddle. That ‘SERVICE’ has never missed a beat.
I nearly put an aside about that. It does seem to be one that is reliable, but I was putting a lot of stuff.

I was put off it in the 80's when quite frequently it said things like "There is an upgrade available, click here to install", and you ended up with some hideous Yahoo setup instead and the only way out seemed to be a reload of Windows. Perhaps that has changed.

For simple websites such as robertos.me.uk NetObjects Fusion Essentials is free and brilliant. It's the only package I've seen which can do a everything a text editor (I use PsPad) can do much quicker and easier, but with substantial complex features just as easy to use. I now have the full Fusion 12, mainly to allow more levels of menu on other websites.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:21:43
Print Post

Thanks. has a quick look at the Fusion site, but time to walk the hound, so will give it a whirl later. Does it include a shopping cart?.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:24:57
Print Post

Our latest posts overlapped smile.

I think I have said enough now, and await what you decide to do smile. The only thing that worried me in your case was the slightly high price compared to a pure email service, but as you want a web host that's fine. On the lowest package you can (officially) have 2 domains hosted, which I do, plus sub-domains. I have a third domain on one of these bottom packages and it works fine, just by installing it in a sub-directory.

And I wrote my first commercial program on a Leo III in 1967 tongue, seeing as you and MadMan are reminiscing!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 09:28:53
Print Post

Yes, and a full tutorial on all the package features, which is quite good. Worth a trip through if you take that, whoever your chosen host is. Though I haven't explored the cart yet. I may need to soon.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 10:05:28
Print Post

Mmmm ··· No Mac support again ··· Just for a change.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to