User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:30:35
Print Post

Re: Giving Plusnet a Try!

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

You can't tell me why a person should use ISP email instead of web?
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:34:02
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Zen just works (1 month contract).
IDNet just works (1 month contract).
Be* just works (3 month contract).

The service is good and the user is free to leave if they're unhappy.
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:38:53
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
One would probably avoid a webmail provider without POP3/SMTP & IMAP. One has plenty of choice with webmail but not with ISP email.

I would guess that the majority of email is picked up via static desktop machines. After us infirm coffin-dodgers don't all waltz around with an iDiotPhone/Pad. Most of us still communicate via skip & CW on our home-brewed 400W Amateur Radio transceiver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:43:22
Print Post

You can't tell me why a person should use ISP email instead of web?

Well I can! ··· Like most things I do ···BECAUSE I CAN and I pay for it. If it's unusable [censored] of no use to man or beast, then surely a reduction in my subscription is in order.

Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 18:03:51
Print Post

Nobody uses ISP email any more. Start using a webmail service like gmail.

Hmmm, let me think ...

Gmail = Google = cookies = tracking err, no thanks.

plusnet
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 18:21:25
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MadMan:
Nobody uses ISP email any more. Start using a webmail service like gmail.

Hmmm, let me think ...

Gmail = Google = cookies = tracking err, no thanks.

Exactly ···Would you trust a company that sneaked into your network with their streetview cars?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 18:55:50
Print Post

Tell me how ISP email is superior to 3rd party webmail.
Webmail is a total PITA when used in isolation.

As an additional feature allied to either POP3 with for example 30 days retention, or IMAP, both with local security copying, it is occasionally useful.

As for the idea of letting google or Microsoft store all your emails for ever, even after you delete them, .... frown

You refer to many here as "gramps". Perhaps growing out of naivety and trust in large corporations is something you will do in time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:05:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by m0aur:
In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Another arrogant statement. Whose job is to educate me? I've only been in IT for nearly 50 years and using email for 30 years. Maybe that's not long enough compared to you.
Don't worry about him, that's the sort of ignorance that runs the streets these days, though nothing a good slap can't correct.
He's certainly being very arrogant, and talking rot with his universal solution, but I think it certain that everyone posting in this thread would recommend against ISP-based email. So he does have one thing right.

A personal domain that is yours for ever costs £3 per year or less, and an email hosting service to go with it a few pounds a year. You are talking pence per month. Both are easily migrated just like an ISP if you find deteriorating service, but your email address never changes.

ISP email is basically a hangover from the days when there was not much else available. It is frequently unreliable, and makes ISP migration unnecessarily difficult. (The latter being another reason ISPs supply it). Both of which you have found yourself. Life has enough hassle without that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:20:15
Print Post

I don't trust Google at all, plus their servers are in the states, & I don't trust the states either.

The only thing of Googles that I use is Google Earth.

I reject all their cookies, & Kaspersky rejects all their adverts by default, inclueding here.

plusnet
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:23:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by m0aur:
In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Another arrogant statement. Whose job is to educate me? I've only been in IT for nearly 50 years and using email for 30 years. Maybe that's not long enough compared to you.
Don't worry about him, that's the sort of ignorance that runs the streets these days, though nothing a good slap can't correct.
He's certainly being very arrogant, and talking rot with his universal solution, but I think it certain that everyone posting in this thread would recommend against ISP-based email. So he does have one thing right.

A personal domain that is yours for ever costs £3 per year or less, and an email hosting service to go with it a few pounds a year. You are talking pence per month. Both are easily migrated just like an ISP if you find deteriorating service, but your email address never changes.

ISP email is basically a hangover from the days when there was not much else available. It is frequently unreliable, and makes ISP migration unnecessarily difficult. (The latter being another reason ISPs supply it). Both of which you have found yourself. Life has enough hassle without that.

The above just goes to show, that any argument will be listened to if put across in a polite and rational manner.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to